XR650L valve choices

4 replies to this topic
  • machman

Posted October 02, 2007 - 12:55 PM

Hey guys,

I'm just getting into building up my XRL and I'm thinking about whether or not I should use my stock valves or pony up for the nitroneg ones.

I've got 20,000kms on my bike and the head did exhibit a bit of loss out the intake valves. By that I mean there was a bit of carbon built up on the wrong side of the intake valves.

I'm hoping this can be solved by a valve job which is all I hope to do unless the Thumpertalk collective tells me I should spend the money on shiney new valves.

• machman

Posted October 04, 2007 - 06:24 AM

Wow, the silence is deafining! You guys are all either working too hard or wringing out all the last rides of the season.:confused:

Well, good on ya.:confused: Meanwhile I'm finishing out my season with a buildup.:confused:

If that's not true, I'll assume that a lot of guys that have done buildups have just left well enough alone on the valve front. Is that a fair assessment?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • XR650L_Dave

Posted October 04, 2007 - 07:54 AM

Wow, the silence is deafining! You guys are all either working too hard or wringing out all the last rides of the season.:confused:

Well, good on ya.:confused: Meanwhile I'm finishing out my season with a buildup.:confused:

If that's not true, I'll assume that a lot of guys that have done buildups have just left well enough alone on the valve front. Is that a fair assessment?

The problem is, not many have touched their valves, I'd guess.

Prob. more seat issues than valve issues out there.

Dave

• cleonard

Posted October 04, 2007 - 08:42 AM

Prob. more seat issues than valve issues out there.

Same here on my XR600. I had 2 seats go bad. However, that usually means new valves. I had XR's only replace those 2 seats and I know that they replaced two valves. Not really sure if they were OEM or the Black Diamond Stainless Nitorneg valves that they now sell. I just took my head to them and said "fix it." They did and it works great. There are not too many places that have the knowledge to make and replace the valve seats. The valve seats are not available from Honda.

I'm part of the "if it's not broke, don't fix it" group. I can do all the wrenching on my bike, but my tools and skill end at splitting the cases and honing the cylinder. For valve work, I let an expert inspect and fix.

As far as I know there are some tradeoffs in the different valves. Steel (OEM) has better wear and tribological characteristics than stainless. The nitroneg surface treatment is there to make the stainless valves slide better in the valve guides.

• machman

Posted October 04, 2007 - 11:27 AM

That's what I was hoping to hear. I'll get shop to check that the valves meet all tolerances. If they do, they're going back in.:confused:

...and as for having the skill to do any of this stuff, I certainly don't. But I figure, how hard can it be. :confused: I split the cases next week:thumbsup:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.