Help....Trying to decide on Fork Brace

7 replies to this topic
  • walshdanielm1965

Posted October 02, 2007 - 12:41 PM

I eventually want to get the suspension done on my XRL, just don't have the extra 1k lying around. Is anyone using fork brace out there?:confused:
....I would appreciate your feed back.

• Denn10

Posted October 02, 2007 - 12:51 PM

alot are with great results RSW are about $80. Why do you think you need $1k for suspension work?

• machman

Posted October 02, 2007 - 12:52 PM

Go to eBay and search XR650L and tick the box to include listing content, not just subjects.

There's always a brace listed for sale there. It's the kind I bought and I'm very happy with it. I think it's $80.

• martinfan30

Posted October 02, 2007 - 01:29 PM

like mine too. it really stiffened up the front and helped a little with the little head shake it has.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • machman

Posted October 02, 2007 - 02:11 PM

For a $140 BIN you can get an SRC fork brace with mudskins on eBay right now.

These made my bike an excellent handling road bike for something with knobbies and an 18" rear and 21" front.

Can't wait to get the 17"s on!

Also, in terms of your suspension, a lot can be done with thicker weight 10W fork oil, a 15mm spring spacer as explained by MadBrit on SupermotoJunkie, 10PSI of air, and cranking all your adjustments up including the rear spring rate.

For a total investment of about $40 I totally changed the handling of my bike for the better. Keeping in mind I was going for a stiff SM feel, but less of what I did will still vastly improve the bikes off-road manners, especially for heavier riders like me.

• walshdanielm1965

Posted October 03, 2007 - 11:39 AM

alot are with great results RSW are about $80. Why do you think you need $1k for suspension work?

I weight 275, I will need front and back done. I am not that handy with wrench's......:confused: so I would go to a company to have it done. :confused:

• heavyhitter

Posted October 03, 2007 - 12:12 PM

I weight 275, I will need front and back done. I am not that handy with wrench's......:confused: so I would go to a company to have it done. :confused:

Try adjusting preload. Also adding Eibach springs will help you ALOT front and rear cost @ $220 shipped. You can change oil thickness too, to 10wt. I would recommend new springs i weigh more than you and this was by far the best mod I have done. I made a post a while back and It shows a couple other tricks I did to help the suspension. I dont feel the need for a fork brace really but I am sure it would be a very nice addition, when I have done all my mods I will most likely get one.

• martinfan30

Posted October 03, 2007 - 12:53 PM

For a $140 BIN you can get an SRC fork brace with mudskins on eBay right now.

These made my bike an excellent handling road bike for something with knobbies and an 18" rear and 21" front.

Can't wait to get the 17"s on!

Also, in terms of your suspension, a lot can be done with thicker weight 10W fork oil, a 15mm spring spacer as explained by MadBrit on SupermotoJunkie, 10PSI of air, and cranking all your adjustments up including the rear spring rate.

For a total investment of about $40 I totally changed the handling of my bike for the better. Keeping in mind I was going for a stiff SM feel, but less of what I did will still vastly improve the bikes off-road manners, especially for heavier riders like me.

you talking about cranking all the clickers up to full hard??

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  132 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.