The Big Blue Beast is Gone

11 replies to this topic
  • NM_KDX200

Posted October 01, 2007 - 07:56 AM

After a year and 3 months of 450F'ing, I sold my '04 on Saturday. Amazingly- and I know this is going to sound crazy- it was the '05 KX125 that killed it. I've been battling elbow tendinitis since July and finally got to ride the KX (I bought it in late July) on the track last week. When I did, I had a blast and came to the conclusion that I'm all about corners. What I like to do is to simply make a good corner. I really don't care about lap times, don't care about top speed, don't care all that much about jumping (although jumps are fun)- what I like to do is corner. I like to rail berms, slide the inside line, change lines mid-turn, and so on. The KX is superb at that sort of thing and the '04 YZ is not. So, Big Blue got sold on Saturday ($3500, in case you're wondering- I sold it to a friend and was not trying for top dollar) and I'm back to premix and changing pistons/rings every 25 hours. :confused:

I'm glad I rode the 450F for awhile. It was THE most confidence-inspiring jumper I've owned, the straight-line stability was GREAT, the bike was dead-reliable (up to 35 hrs, anyway) and the thing never lacked for power. After riding it for awhile and then going back to the 125, I'm a better 125 rider. The 450F _forced_ me grip with my legs and knees, not grip the bars, and pay more attention to body position. Plus, I got used to riding at a higher speed. If were racing and cared about my results, 450F would definitely be the way to go. But I'm not and I don't, and for me it's all about fun. I honestly think I could be happy on a KX100 (and at 5' 5" and 160 lbs, I could just about ride one! :confused: )

Anyway, adios and thanks much for the advice and conversation I got here. I'm off to live on the 2-stroke forums.

P.S. If you have an '04, get a Dr. D flywheel on it! That was the single best modification I made to the bike.

• MXDAD65

Posted October 01, 2007 - 08:13 AM

Why A Dr.d Flywheel?

• NM_KDX200

Posted October 01, 2007 - 08:18 AM

Why A Dr.d Flywheel?

Search for it- we had a big discussion just recently. Basically, on the '04, it smoothed out the bottom end a lot. The bike kept traction longer into a corner, was smoother coming out, and clutching was 10x more effective. Stalling was almost eliminated and I was able to pull a gear higher in some corners. I went with the Dr. D because its a flywheel replacement rather than an add-on, it's welded and balanced from them, and their customer service is great.

• grayracer513

Posted October 01, 2007 - 09:26 AM

Why A Dr.d Flywheel?

Because the early ('03/'04) YZ450 is much too aggressive without it. The Dr.D 8 oz. I have on my '03 is the one they should have been built with.

• matts06yzf

Posted October 01, 2007 - 10:12 AM

Ive seen several guys that can rail a corner on a 450. :confused:

• NM_KDX200

Posted October 01, 2007 - 10:46 AM

Ive seen several guys that can rail a corner on a 450. :confused:

I've seen them, too. But what about the rest of it? What about cutting the inside line? The throttle wide-open, rear-wheel sliding into the berm, exploding out of the corner line? What about changing lines mid-turn? The '04 YZ450F does not do any of that very well, at least not w/out different triple clamps and/or a suspension setup and not at my level of riding.

Besides, I'm 45 and it's time to slow down a little bit- you'll understand this better if you're still riding in 20 years (I've been riding since 12). The 125 lets me ride hard and (semi) aggressively w/out necessarily going as fast as the 450F. Ricky Carmichael Himself, a guy who can rail with...well, who IS the best of them...said "We all like to ride our best and it's hard to do that on a 450." :confused: :confused: Anyway, I can't do it on the 450 and I can on the 125. If you can, great!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ga426owner

Posted October 01, 2007 - 12:48 PM

I've seen them, too. But what about the rest of it? What about cutting the inside line? The throttle wide-open, rear-wheel sliding into the berm, exploding out of the corner line? What about changing lines mid-turn? The '04 YZ450F does not do any of that very well, at least not w/out different triple clamps and/or a suspension setup and not at my level of riding.

Besides, I'm 45 and it's time to slow down a little bit- you'll understand this better if you're still riding in 20 years (I've been riding since 12). The 125 lets me ride hard and (semi) aggressively w/out necessarily going as fast as the 450F. Ricky Carmichael Himself, a guy who can rail with...well, who IS the best of them...said "We all like to ride our best and it's hard to do that on a 450." :confused: :confused: Anyway, I can't do it on the 450 and I can on the 125. If you can, great!

Your 04 by todays standards of smoothness is a beast. I am 45 also and yesterday I rode my 03 .....and my 06 back to back. All I can say is my 03 is a hoss to ride at speed for any amount of time....it is fun but geez...it wears me out fast.....and when you get tired on it....that is when you get bit. My days of getting bit and eating dirt and or anything, anybody at high vilosity rates of speed are done. :confused:
My 06 although smoother still has bark and bite.......now I see why almost every manufacturer is coming out with smoother tamer 450s....they still are rockets....but smoother getting there allowing the rider to last for longer periods of time at speed. This is good :confused:
Maybe I am getting older....but wiser also....and more tired.
Good luck on that 125....I road a YZ a few weeks ago and although fun...it sure takes a lot of effort to go fast on them....and a lot of clutch.

• grayracer513

Posted October 01, 2007 - 01:10 PM

....and more tired.

Amen to that :confused:

Good luck on that 125....I road a YZ a few weeks ago and although fun...it sure takes a lot of effort to go fast on them....and a lot of clutch.

The key to making a 125 work is, shift, shift, shift, shift, shift, shift, shift, shift, shift, shift, shift, shift, shift, shift, shift, shift, shift, shift, shift, shift, shift, shift, shift, shift, shift, shift, shift, shift, ...

You get the idea.

• NM_KDX200

Posted October 01, 2007 - 03:31 PM

Your 04 by todays standards of smoothness is a beast. ....Good luck on that 125....it sure takes a lot of effort to go fast on them....and a lot of clutch.

Well, another thing in the back of my mind was that '04's are not exactly the easiest things in the world to sell and when you've got a guy standing there with $3500 cash, you should act on it. I figure I'll ride the 125 for awhile and if I really want another 450F, well, Yamaha has made more of them. It's not like prewar Martin guitars or pre-54 Telecasters, after all. So, if I want another one, I'll get a post-06 next spring or summer or whatever and then I'll be better off than I was with the '04.

I've ridden 125's before and I actually find the 125 _easier_ to ride due to its lighter weight. I don't mind shifting, and holding the thing wide open and clutching is just part of the deal. Honestly, I missed that when riding the 450.

• Ga426owner

Posted October 02, 2007 - 06:26 AM

Well, another thing in the back of my mind was that '04's are not exactly the easiest things in the world to sell and when you've got a guy standing there with $3500 cash, you should act on it.

I agree cash is king..........smart move. :confused:

• Drfletcherdc

Posted October 02, 2007 - 05:00 PM

That's a very good price for an 04.

• xeaanc

Posted October 24, 2007 - 02:21 PM

i have to say i own a 01yz125, a 03yz250, and a 04yz450f and the easiest and least tiring to ride is my 450f, even my 125 2 smoke tires me out more than the thumper

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.