Will this pipe fit the 07 WR450?

16 replies to this topic
  • nickeenoo

Posted October 01, 2007 - 07:32 AM

Hi All,

I have been looking for a pipe for my 07 WR450. I know some pipes will fit the YZ450 and the WR450. Does the 06 YZ450 and the 07 WR450 use the same pipe? Also, is it the full system that is the same or just the silencer, etc.?

Thanks,

Nate

EDIT: The pipe I am looking at is a FMF Factory 4.1 slip on and mid pipe.

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted October 01, 2007 - 08:09 AM

Hi All,

I have been looking for a pipe for my 07 WR450. I know some pipes will fit the YZ450 and the WR450. Does the 06 YZ450 and the 07 WR450 use the same pipe? Also, is it the full system that is the same or just the silencer, etc.?

Thanks,

Nate

Yes..im 99.9999% sure but you might want to double check

• Island Boy

Posted October 01, 2007 - 08:44 AM

The full DR D system for the YZ fits better than stock on my 07 WR! Not sure about slip-on... The header may be smaller on the 07 WR. Better make sure before you buy it.

• erickdj

Posted October 01, 2007 - 08:51 AM

Hi All,

Thanks,

Nate

EDIT: The pipe I am looking at is a FMF Factory 4.1 slip on and mid pipe.

It won't be a direct fit, if the midpipe is designed for the yz450f the diameter where it meets the header will be different. You will need a yz450f header for that. As far as I know FMF makes a pipe for the WR450F, don't bother to get the yz pipe unless you also get a header to go with it. The problem with these "slip on" pipes is that they don't use the clamp system that stock mid pipes have, they literally "slip" into the header instead of using a gasket/clamp combo.:confused: :confused: If that were the case, you could simply buy the yz exhaust gasket and you would be good to go. I bought a yz stock exhaust for my wr, all I had to do was get the yz mid pipe gasket and it was a perfect fit. It has always bothered me that a lot of the aftermarket pipes simply "slip" into the header instead of having a proper clamp to secure/seal it.

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted October 01, 2007 - 10:07 AM

It has always bothered me that a lot of the aftermarket pipes simply "slip" into the header instead of having a proper clamp to secure/seal it.

my Dr. D pipe is like that on my wr and so was the pro circuit on my ttr and i have had no problems. it slips on a good 1 1/2 i highly doubt that any exhaust gases are leaking!

• erickdj

Posted October 01, 2007 - 12:24 PM

my Dr. D pipe is like that on my wr and so was the pro circuit on my ttr and i have had no problems. it slips on a good 1 1/2 i highly doubt that any exhaust gases are leaking!

Well, I imagine you must have to use some sort of sealant like high temp silicone, which would mean you have to wait for it to dry and repeat the process anytime you need to remove/reinstall the pipe. Sometimes I switch between the stock pipe and the yz pipe, so having the gasket/clamp combo is really nice, I can switch pipes in a few minutes and be ready to go as soon as the last bolt is tightened. I've never had one of these "slip on" pipes, so maybe I'm wrong.

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted October 01, 2007 - 12:27 PM

Well, I imagine you must have to use some sort of sealant like high temp silicone, which would mean you have to wait for it to dry and repeat the process anytime you need to remove/reinstall the pipe. Sometimes I switch between the stock pipe and the yz pipe, so having the gasket/clamp combo is really nice, I can switch pipes in a few minutes and be ready to go as soon as the last bolt is tightened. I've never had one of these "slip on" pipes, so maybe I'm wrong.

i have never used the high temp silicone, was going to but said screw it. i also dont change my pipes (dr. d isnt that loud anyways) but yeah i think you might be surprised with a true slip on and not needing a gasket/clamp. i mean if it was needed it would have come with one or at least stated in the instructions that it was needed. either way to each his own!

• nickeenoo

Posted October 01, 2007 - 12:58 PM

Thanks for all the replies. How does the 06 YZ stock pipe work in comparison to a true aftermarket pipe?

Nate

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • erickdj

Posted October 01, 2007 - 02:20 PM

Thanks for all the replies. How does the 06 YZ stock pipe work in comparison to a true aftermarket pipe?

Nate

It works very well, it's an open race pipe. The only downside is that is very loud and doesn't have a spark arrestor. However, if you can live with those 2 factors it is a much better option than any after market pipe if you can find a used yz pipe used at a good price. I found a slightly used 06 yz pipe on ebay for $50, I spent some time with a drill and a rivet gun to install a $20 spark arrestor on it. So at the end of the day I had a full race pipe with spark arrestor for $70, beats the hell out of any $300+ after market slip on once you consider the actual hp gain/cost ratio.:confused: :confused:

• JSanfilippo

Posted October 01, 2007 - 02:25 PM

It has always bothered me that a lot of the aftermarket pipes simply "slip" into the header instead of having a proper clamp to secure/seal it.

The problem with OEM and some FMF pipes is that the that where the mid pipe joins the header is not an exact fit. Thus they have gaskets/clamps to seal that joint to keep it from leaking.

The Pro Circuit T-4 I had on my old TT-R was an exact fit. You'd work the midpipe onto the the header and that was it...no slop, leaks, or play. I'm much more comfortable with this set up.

• tweav

Posted October 01, 2007 - 03:55 PM

I have a 07 wr 450 with a fmf 4.1 whole system with a mega bomb made for the wr not the yz . the spot where the head pipe and the slip on meet on the wr is different then a yz .so I don't think you'd be able to mix yz and wr systems but I
think you can use a whole yz setup just fine .I had a friend's gytr system on my
wr looking at the fit and it looked usable "the slip on mount bolt was off a little "
but look like it would shoe horn in there . so why not just get the right pipe?

• nickeenoo

Posted October 01, 2007 - 05:02 PM

I just found some clearance units for the 06 YZ450. So, if it would work, I would buy it. However, it sounds like by the time I buy the header, whether its from a YZ or aftermarket, I'll be just as much as buying the slip on I want. So, when I get the dough, I'll just buy the slip on.

Nate

Edit: If anyone knows where I can find a complete exhaust from an 06 YZ let me know. Thanks again.

• erickdj

Posted October 01, 2007 - 09:04 PM

Edit: If anyone knows where I can find a complete exhaust from an 06 YZ let me know. Thanks again.

Ebay is your friend for things like that. It has treated me well for years.

• suzukipoo

Posted October 02, 2007 - 04:21 AM

Just get a fmf factory 4.1 slip-on!! I bought a 07 yz/wr450 slip-on for my 07 wr450 and it comes with 2 diff aluminum mid pipe joints, so i just used the one that fitted, and let me tel you this bike rips after pipe, jetting and free mods!!

Posted Image

• clark4131

Posted October 02, 2007 - 05:58 AM

When using any pipe that has a no-clamp, slip fit joint between the header and mid-pipe, you must use RTV in the joint or you will develop an exhaust leak...SC

• erickdj

Posted October 02, 2007 - 06:32 AM

When using any pipe that has a no-clamp, slip fit joint between the header and mid-pipe, you must use RTV in the joint or you will develop an exhaust leak...SC

That was my initial theory..:confused:

• Messa

Posted February 06, 2008 - 07:46 PM

I have fitted an 06 YZ450 (07 the same!) exhuast onto my 07 WR450. As some of the earlier posts indicate; The YZ exhaust has a larger diameter ID. (or put another way the WR header is too small on OD...) Even when fitted up with the 'fatter' WR seal it still leaks exhuast gas out through the clamping slots.

To fix:
a. I need to get a YZ Header or,
b. rework the flange on the exhuast (cut off original then fit a compatible size one)

Not a lot of YZ headers out there.

So if you do fit a YZ exhuast onto a WR - try to get the header as well. Works extremely well on the bike and does not make it too loud.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.