08 XR650L Best mod sugestions to uncork?

17 replies to this topic
  • Terrytech

Posted October 01, 2007 - 07:13 AM

I,m getting the 08 XR650L This week and everybody including the sales rep tells me you have to uncork it because the CA smog junk kills it. It's been sugested to put a Big Gun Exhaust system, smog block off, jet the Carb, and open the Air box. Is anything on the 08 different from earlier modles, or can i shop for an 05-08 and be the same? And any other sugestions for my new toy?:confused:

• XR650L_Dave

Posted October 01, 2007 - 07:43 AM

93-08 are all identical except for the occaisional change to 'bold new graphics'.

Removing the smog stuff will decrease weight, probably increase cooling, and will decrease decel popping. There is no power increase to just removing the air-pump, etc.

There is a fair power increase, and a large throttle-response increase if you rejet, drill the slide, and shim the stock needle, and pull the snorkel.

Alternatively you can get a dynojet kit, and pull the snorkel.

A foam air filter flows a little better than the stock paper, as well.

I usually recc. people try the cheap mods, then decide on an aftermarket muffler. A muffler change will aid the revs and top-end power a bit.

Dave

• Denn10

Posted October 01, 2007 - 07:54 AM

Heres the link to the "daves mods" that most do, i have this as do many and it only cost you about .25 to buy the washer for the needle as a dyno jet cost ??? i dont know but you can search and read about it if you like. Theres alot of past info on search and you can find answers to any of your questions there. Where are u in CA?

http://www.4strokes....xr650lcarbmods/

• martinfan30

Posted October 01, 2007 - 09:29 AM

with the djet kit the needle in the kit has a different shape than stock. it was made this way for a reason i figure, so i went djet and drilled the slide.

• machman

Posted October 01, 2007 - 09:34 AM

You can also join the XRL Users Group on Yahoo. There are some good files saved in there that will aid you in "Dave's Mod" and other cheap go fast things like grinding down the welds on the inside of your header flanges.

• heavyhitter

Posted October 01, 2007 - 10:04 AM

grats Terry.
If you are gonna be off roading I would recommend regearing, also if you like wheeling. 14/48.

• martinfan30

Posted October 01, 2007 - 10:06 AM

grats Terry.
If you are gonna be off roading I would recommend regearing, also if you like wheeling. 14/48.

ya and carry a 15 tooth with you to change out before hittting the hiway.

• Denn10

Posted October 01, 2007 - 10:17 AM

ya and carry a 15 tooth with you to change out before hittting the hiway.

now how you gonna stop on the side of the road and change a front sprocket and adjust chain?

• martinfan30

Posted October 01, 2007 - 11:06 AM

dont you carry tools dummmy?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Motosprtman

Posted October 01, 2007 - 11:12 AM

all mentioned mods are good and it depends on your personal perspective and wallet. It is a far different bike uncorked. The addition of an aftermarket pipe is the creme de le crem (sp) and makes it all complete. I went back to the stock pipe for awhile - while running uncorked and hated it. Quiet yea, but gone was that loooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnggggggg strrrrrrrrrrroooooooooong effortless Puuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuullllllllllllllllllllllllll.

• martinfan30

Posted October 01, 2007 - 11:15 AM

QUIETER and less power than a 12 volt mattress pump!LOL

• Denn10

Posted October 01, 2007 - 11:15 AM

loooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnggggggg strrrrrrrrrrroooooooooong effortless Puuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuullllllllllllllllllllllllll.

HOLY SHIAT ***!!!! LOL

• Terrytech

Posted October 01, 2007 - 06:25 PM

Redlands, CA... San Benardino Co.

• scalejockey

Posted October 01, 2007 - 07:31 PM

I see the problem.. It's the letter after the numbers put a "R" there instead of an "L" LOL come on I thought it was funny.

• martinfan30

Posted October 01, 2007 - 07:35 PM

I see the problem.. It's the letter after the numbers put a "R" there instead of an "L" LOL come on I thought it was funny.

funny how, like a CLOWN?LOL!

• Huffa 2

Posted October 02, 2007 - 02:11 AM

If you decide to get another muffler I vote for the old White Brothers E series one and don't like any others, it looks great, isn't real long and is totally tunable for performance and sound, all other ones, you get what you GET!

The sound with 4-7 disc on is just perfect, louder then stock but not irritating like some after market ones, has a really nice tone to it.

Then they go and stop making it ! :confused: :confused:

I got mine off of ebay, expect tp pay at least 200 for a nice one, maybe more.

Posted Image

• martinfan30

Posted October 02, 2007 - 10:08 AM

these are killer muff's, if u can find one. then do like huffa and fab. a mount to keep the exhaust from melting the blinker like my dads did.

• Denn10

Posted October 02, 2007 - 11:38 AM

Right down the hill from me LOL alright

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.