WR400 hard starting

27 replies to this topic
  • ncampion

Posted December 20, 2007 - 09:16 PM

I have to agree with Creeky and DanyR1. The early FCR carbs had a definite lifespan before they became unreliable and difficult to start and idle. Replace the relic with either a newer FCR or preferably an Edelbrock. Problem solved!!

• dickm

Posted March 12, 2009 - 09:32 PM

o.k. fellas, 99wr400 starts great (or did). tonight it seemed stuck open, no throttle on and the rpm's went to the moon. Pulled over, got it to restart after a long while-shot to the moon again on rpm's w/ no throttle on. This behavior would make me think one of the throttle cables broke. Visual inspection (in the dark) seems cables ok - Is this a stuck slide? or? Comp release handle was squirrley (Hot?) for awhile then compression returned, but would not start. Apologize in advance if this issue has been addressed, search wr400 put me here

• tntmo

Posted March 13, 2009 - 05:38 AM

Check the carb slide, it could be broken.

• Frostbite

Posted March 13, 2009 - 05:45 AM

o.k. fellas, 99wr400 starts great (or did). tonight it seemed stuck open, no throttle on and the rpm's went to the moon. Pulled over, got it to restart after a long while-shot to the moon again on rpm's w/ no throttle on. This behavior would make me think one of the throttle cables broke. Visual inspection (in the dark) seems cables ok - Is this a stuck slide? or? Comp release handle was squirrley (Hot?) for awhile then compression returned, but would not start. Apologize in advance if this issue has been addressed, search wr400 put me here

Definitely a broken throttle plate. When a big chunk comes off it's like holding the throttle open. Mine broke out on a trail and I had to ride home controlling my speed in really tight spots with the kill switch.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dickm

Posted March 13, 2009 - 07:23 AM

Found the part#s from another thread, looked at Ronayers.com and the price of the slide has jumped from 74$ to 128$. Are there other options, or should I just put an Edelbrock on; Seems goofy putting a 400$ carb on a 1500$ bike, however 128$ for a slide that may break again is goofy too. Thanks again for your excellent advice. If a chunk of the slide has been sucked into the motor is there anything I can do at this point?

• Frostbite

Posted March 13, 2009 - 08:17 AM

Found the part#s from another thread, looked at Ronayers.com and the price of the slide has jumped from 74$ to 128$. Are there other options, or should I just put an Edelbrock on; Seems goofy putting a 400$ carb on a 1500$ bike, however 128$ for a slide that may break again is goofy too. Thanks again for your excellent advice. If a chunk of the slide has been sucked into the motor is there anything I can do at this point?

The chunk would pass through the combustion chamber only, so there shouldn't be any worry about pieces in the bottom end, unless a chunk did some damage to your piston and/or cylinder wall. There could be some damage to a valve or seat, but since your bike is still running you must have compression. A fairly big chunk broke off of mine and appears to have blown right out the exhaust with no obvious damage to the engine. I rode it for years after that with no related problems.

• dickm

Posted March 13, 2009 - 10:27 AM

Yup, got it apart and the slide is missing a chunk. The motor still has compression, and my pal saw sparks fly out the pipe. Guess I'll be calling the TT store.

Thanks
dickm

• westrider03

Posted March 24, 2009 - 08:36 PM

You also might want to check your float height while you've got the carb apart cleaning it.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.