Hot start lever?

4 replies to this topic
  • Quack

Posted September 30, 2007 - 05:21 PM

So today I took the 450f out and rode it around a little. I then shut it down and went to start it again. I pulled the Hot Start lever and it didnt seem to want to move. I gave it a little more and *POP* it moved. Now it doesnt really seem to spring back. It still started, just wondering if they were supposed to really spring back (memory is failing me, I didnt pay enough attention to it before)? My guess is it supposed to and I should pull it out and look it over. Any help with this?

• todds924

Posted September 30, 2007 - 06:30 PM

You need to unsrew the hot start plunger and make sure it moves freely in the carburetor bore. Alot of times they get stuck and corroded and it sounds like you may have pulled the cable out of the plunger if it was frozen stuck. Take it apart and check it out.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tnl

Posted September 30, 2007 - 06:34 PM

Regularly lube that cable to prevent that from happening. Be careful when and if you remove the hot start plunger not to cross thread the plastic threaded cap when reinstalling it, it's easy to do!

• Quack

Posted October 05, 2007 - 08:01 PM

Finally got a chance to work on the bike. Pulled the hot start out of the carb, the o-ring looks like it needs replacing, so I will get one. The cable is fine (whew). I do have a question. Doesnt that oring keep it from sliding really easy? Do I need to lube it with something? It doesnt seem to go down very far, when I just slip the plunger and old o-ing in to the carb. Is there something else I need to do?

• Ga426owner

Posted October 06, 2007 - 05:59 AM

Finally got a chance to work on the bike. Pulled the hot start out of the carb, the o-ring looks like it needs replacing, so I will get one. The cable is fine (whew). I do have a question. Doesnt that oring keep it from sliding really easy? Do I need to lube it with something? It doesnt seem to go down very far, when I just slip the plunger and old o-ing in to the carb. Is there something else I need to do?

yes there is...dab a bit of grease into the hotstart hole in the carb. I use White Lithium grease but any will work.....just a dab to keep corrosion factor down. I also suggest you buy a metal hotstart nut from Zipty or PC. They keep 99.9% of the moisture out and will hold up much better than the cheap plastic nut that cross strips too easy:thumbsup:

If you do not swap nut....keep going back every 3mos to relube...water from washing gets in there and causes corrosion over time to the point that the hotstart will cease into the carb on every 400-450

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.