Shortening Stock Muffler

21 replies to this topic
  • duzz10

Posted September 30, 2007 - 04:35 PM

I was wondering if anyone has ever shortened there stock muffler, and if they did what were the results. I have a 2007 and thought about shortening it from 15" to 10". I don't know how it will effect the power band, ect. If it does not work I can always pick up another one on ebay. I was thinking it may help a little with weight distribution if it doesn't hurt the power band. Also wondering what some of the lengths of after market mufflers are?

• gtxkid

Posted September 30, 2007 - 05:16 PM

I had a 2007 up till Sat. and now have a 2008.
I would just do 2 inches and see what it does.
lot of aftermarket stuff out the cheep if something goes wrong.
I put the 10.00 FMF packing in mine and that made a big differance.
Always plug pipe because water kills packing quick.
Greg

• grayracer513

Posted September 30, 2007 - 05:33 PM

What it will do for certain is get to be louder than %#&! And it will likely make the pipe less effective overall, as well.

If you want a lighter, shorter pipe, go with the aftermarket. You'll save more weight, the bike will run better, and you'll make a lot less unnecessary noise.

• jakem707

Posted September 30, 2007 - 10:58 PM

I was wondering if anyone has ever shortened there stock muffler, and if they did what were the results. I have a 2007 and thought about shortening it from 15" to 10". I don't know how it will effect the power band, ect. If it does not work I can always pick up another one on ebay. I was thinking it may help a little with weight distribution if it doesn't hurt the power band. Also wondering what some of the lengths of after market mufflers are?

I'm going to do this soon on my 07, and I'll add some screen for spark arresting.

So, I'll PM with the results> If you beat me to it, PM me with your results please?>

• Ga426owner

Posted October 01, 2007 - 07:00 AM

A total waste of a stock pipe that can be sold.....there is no performance, sound or any other gain to doing this except to satisfy ones curiousity.....and believe me it has been done tons of times with no positive result except visual. Sell it as a stock pipe and use the money to buy a aftermkt that will provide some gains....they did the R&D that all of you pipe hackers desire.

• huffster

Posted October 01, 2007 - 07:02 AM

I'm going to do this soon on my 07, and I'll add some screen for spark arresting.

So, I'll PM with the results> If you beat me to it, PM me with your results please?>

By adding "some screen" you still will not have a USFS approved sparky....Dumbest idea ever ! CUtting just a couple of inches off the OEM can will make that thing highly offensive to everyone around you...another very bad idea !!

• SurvivorMan

Posted October 01, 2007 - 09:39 AM

go with the FMF powercore 4. it is only around $300. it is much shorter, comes with an approved sparky screen, great bottom to mid range gains, more traction. i have great results with mine. it is good to keep the stocker as a back up...or can easily sell.

• jakem707

Posted October 01, 2007 - 10:23 PM

By adding "some screen" you still will not have a USFS approved sparky....Dumbest idea ever ! CUtting just a couple of inches off the OEM can will make that thing highly offensive to everyone around you...another very bad idea !!

I don't appreciate your offensive comments.

The reason that I want to cut the muffler is for appearance only, I think it looks way to long. And as far as adding screen for a spark arrestor, well it will work just the same as if I bought a actual USFS approved S.A., and thats just fine with me. I don't care that it doesn't have the USFS approval, because I know it works, and I'm willing to argue the fact if needed.

• grayracer513

Posted October 02, 2007 - 06:02 AM

The reason that I want to cut the muffler is for appearance only, I think it looks way to long. And as far as adding screen for a spark arrestor, well it will work just the same as if I bought a actual USFS approved S.A., and thats just fine with me. I don't care that it doesn't have the USFS approval, because I know it works, and I'm willing to argue the fact if needed.

The screen will certainly work as well as a "real" sparky, but any ranger you encounter isn't going to care, since it will have no approval, and thus be illegal. The reality is that spark arrestors are far more likely to prevent your getting a citation than to prevent a fire in any case, and the ranger's attitude is going to be worse to begin with because of the extra 4-5 decibels of unnecessary noise you'll be making. Besides, you can't see the muffler while you're riding, anyway.

• Ga426owner

Posted October 02, 2007 - 06:22 AM

I don't appreciate your offensive comments.

No one is being offensive here. We are just stating facts. You will lose performance, increase noise and destroy a perfectly good exhaust system all for the sake of appearence? ...so yes it is a dumb idea....get over it :confused:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • huffster

Posted October 02, 2007 - 06:42 AM

I'm sure the Park Ranger will enjoy your argument.....While he is writing you a hefty fine and perhaps taking you to jail....Enjoy !

• adamdf

Posted October 02, 2007 - 06:43 AM

To be hoenst, i also think that shortening a stock exhaust is a waste of time. And you will only be causing unnecessary noise.

• MikeDD

Posted October 02, 2007 - 05:38 PM

I shortened mine to about an inch and a half past the mounting bracket. My main reason for doing this was to make my liscense plate more visible as it hangs inside the fender. I can't say I noticed any type of performance gain or loss. It's a little louder but not much. I made sure the packing was tight all the way through the end cap, reriveted it with stainless rivets and put a bead of black rtv on the edges. Looks like it came that way from the factory.

My bike is street legal and its still far quieter that the harleys and some of the crotch rockets that run around here. I do like having a bike that can be heard though. It makes me feel safer, especially with todays overly distracted drivers. I am not riding at noise controlled areas and I wouldn't be if that was an issue.

• rexbond007

Posted October 02, 2007 - 06:30 PM

i was in a race two weeks ago they where doing Db testing. my 07 came in at 91.2 Db with the stock pipe.

• duzz10

Posted October 02, 2007 - 06:42 PM

I posted wanting to know if anyone has ever tried shortening there muffler. jakem 707 said he was going to do it. Most of the replies to this are opinions. No one has said I done it! and my bike ran like crap and broke my ear drums. Or I have tried it in and ran it on a dyno with a sound meter! The 2007 muffler is pretty quiet compared to some of the after market mufflers, other then there headers they are glorified glass packs with Carbon or Ti, that are tuned, and giving a cool name. Until somone has some usefull input I will be giving it a try. Hell! I might even put it on the local Dyno and have them make 3 pulls on it, one inch at a time.

• jakem707

Posted October 02, 2007 - 09:22 PM

I posted wanting to know if anyone has ever tried shortening there muffler. jakem 707 said he was going to do it. Most of the replies to this are opinions. No one has said I done it! and my bike ran like crap and broke my ear drums. Or I have tried it in and ran it on a dyno with a sound meter! The 2007 muffler is pretty quiet compared to some of the after market mufflers, other then there headers they are glorified glass packs with Carbon or Ti, that are tuned, and giving a cool name. Until somone has some usefull input I will be giving it a try. Hell! I might even put it on the local Dyno and have them make 3 pulls on it, one inch at a time.

Hey my Man,:confused:

I am with you on all accounts, HOWEVER I did read an article in a current issue of 1 of the MX magazines, and it addressed the popular issue of people putting the '08 Yz450 muffler on the '07's, and actually LOSING Performance!

So, you, and I should be careful with how much we cut. :confused:

GOOD LUCK TO US, AND hell with the rest.:confused:

• grayracer513

Posted October 02, 2007 - 09:34 PM

I did read an article in a current issue of 1 of the MX magazines, and it addressed the popular issue of people putting the '08 Yz450 muffler on the '07's, and actually LOSING Performance!

So, you, and I should be careful with how much we cut. :confused:

The loss of performance would have nothing to do with the length of the muffler, and everything to do with the restrictive design of the '08 muffler. You're comparing apples with oranges on that one. The '08 muffler is, frankly, a disappointingly crude design approach.

• MikeDD

Posted October 02, 2007 - 10:10 PM

Hell! I might even put it on the local Dyno and have them make 3 pulls on it, one inch at a time.

Hehe, I doubt that. It's not that easy to cut it down correctly. It took me a couple hours and a myriad of special tools. Plus you need to seal the endcap with RTV and let that sit overnight.

• chadta

Posted October 03, 2007 - 05:08 AM

i cut mine down at work, took about 2 inches off, much like mikedd i did it for asthetics, my pipe stock was blowing exhaust right onto my signal, and to avoid melting it i wanted to shorten my pipe. Honestly performance wise i couldnt tell ya the difference by the seat of the pants dyno, sound wise its also not much different, i did put a full pipes worth of packing in there when i repacked it so it might be a ittle too compressed but im not sure, all i know is the old packing came out in one big clump, so i think i actually made it quieter when i shortened it.

• Ga426owner

Posted October 03, 2007 - 05:11 AM

Duzz and Jake.....this has been done for years by both Honda and yami owners.....the results are the same.....loss of performance and louder exhaust.....and to cut them w/o it looking like a 3yr old did it is as pointed out not a easy task. Once they are cut they are done and worthless
My point is this...why trash a good exhaust? It will be worth zero if you want to sell it.
Listen I like to tinker and try stuff to.....and by no means am telling you what to do.....but again the logic to do this stated by both of you is for visual apppearence.....geez go buy a cheap shorter slip on and sell your stock pipe to recoup some of the cost......or be stubborn and trash your pipes .... remember you both came here to ask for advice...and apparently you do not like the advice....:confused:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.