HELP!!! XR650R Cylinder Head Torque???

4 replies to this topic
  • ESS

Posted September 30, 2007 - 01:07 PM

I'm replacing the piston on my 650R when I'm in the middle of tightening the head down. BTW - I did a search and I DO have the factory manual. Anyway, the manual says torque the 4 head bolts down to 49lbs using a criss cross pattern. I'm at 35lbs right now and it feels really weird like it's about to strip the threads or just snap off. 49lbs sounds way too high. My 450 has the same size studs and nuts and it only gets torqued to 43lbs. Is the manual wrong? I know there was a mis-print on the torque settings for the frame oil drain. Is there one for the head?:confused:

• ESS

Posted September 30, 2007 - 02:10 PM

Update - I crossed my fingers and I'm at 43lbs. Think this will work? I've broken many bolts so I know what it feels like right before they break. I use a torque wrench for everything now. It's a 10mm nut which is usually only recommended to be torqued at around 25lbs. I'm considering just running it there (at 43lbs).

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ian_FE501

Posted September 30, 2007 - 11:40 PM

I stopped around 40, like you I thought things weren't feeling right. No probs so far.

• scalejockey

Posted October 01, 2007 - 05:03 AM

I do believe honda recomends replacing them when the head is removed.(I seldom do i'm too cheap) but I did a honda rebuild not long ago that most of the studs snapped before they were properly tight . Most head bolts are high tension and pre-streched.

• ESS

Posted October 02, 2007 - 01:18 AM

Thanks for the replies. I'm staying at 43lbs and hoping they don't snap. I don't see anything in the manual about replacing the studs although I've heard this from someone else too.

Related Content

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  141 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.