XrL slight bog off idle

17 replies to this topic
  • gearloos

Posted September 30, 2007 - 10:31 AM

Well, I just finished the first mods on my week old 07 xrl.
led tail light, maire fender, temp dipstick, removed the smog and blocked off the front holes, opened pipe/no baffle,uni filter, removed the "snorkel" top on the air box. ---It was a busy Saturday--
re jetted 58 pilot, 158 main.
I didn't do and real carb mods except I did grind down the idle screw tab and richened it up to 2 turns out from seated.
I am getting a hesitation off the line that I can't seem to tune out.
Any ideas?
The plug looks great! Dark Tan. I read about Daves Mods drilling the slide(which I didnt do) but I have great responce everywhere else.
I'm thinking maybe go to 55 pilot?
Any suggestions?
Bike runs awesome otherwise.

• Bibleman

Posted September 30, 2007 - 10:47 AM

I believe the 58 pilot is too rich. Try adjusting the mixture screw and if it runs better when turned in compared to out it may confirm this. I run the 55/160 and had problems with it being too rich at full throttle. Bottom end on mine and off idle is perfect with the 55 and similar mods to yours.

• axarob44

Posted September 30, 2007 - 11:31 AM

Had the same problem until I drilled the side. I'm running a 55pilot also with the Dyno-Jet kit. Took care of the off idle bog.

• gearloos

Posted September 30, 2007 - 11:49 AM

Cool, thanks for the quick reply. I did play with the mixture screw.. no luck but I was just playing with it.. not really trying anything.
Thats where I'll start.
I don't have a 55 but I do have the 50 that came with it.. and I have a bunch of drills :confused:
I can go up step by step till it works.
This reminds me of back in the 80's when I used to carry around a "jet kit" haha, a box of like 30 jets and m10 spark plugs.
Ever have any luck just loosening the manifolds and twisting the carb?
I can't seem to get it to go around that tab on the motor side. Don't want to have to pull the carb 17 times lol.
edited... just saw your message axarob. If this doesnt work, I'll drill the slide. Or cut and stretch the spring. Should give the same effect of less vacumn.

• radbrad48

Posted September 30, 2007 - 02:32 PM

Where are you drilling the slide. I thought I read an article that said to drill a 5/32 hole. I don't really remember. Can anybody help. Thanks.

• gearloos

Posted September 30, 2007 - 05:55 PM

I was refering to drilling the jets...for the slide there is 3 wholes.. one is in the center and 2 onn the outside. Drill the 2 outside. This lets more air into the back side of the diaphram. helps with responce. this is the same as if you were to add a lighter spring.. or cut and stretch the stock spring ...what your going for is less vacumn here.. more equalizing of the differential pressure alowing the slide to go up and down easier.
Back to the jetting: I take a drill bit that is the smallest size... .50mm here and go to a bigger size..(a bigger drill bit) and open it up a little.
I would keep on trying this..trial and error.. untill the plugs read right.. IE tan and no sooty deposits.. . the bad jetting for me would be- white plug = very lean.. very light tan = I could do better.. still lean. go richer. or drill a bigger whole. Dark side of tan may be a little too rich.. but anything not black or white is ok really.
If I see a black plug, I know I'm way to rich so I over did my drilling and have to go to a smaller jet.
The drilling the slides refers to the throttle responce.
What they want to achieve is a better reaction time for the vacumn .
If you open the wholes up, the slide can go down or up faster.

• Denn10

Posted September 30, 2007 - 08:30 PM

DONT drill your jets just hold out and get the right one your never gonna get it to exact specs as when there made. You said your sea level right on jetting post? First before you change jets i would drill your slide DID you shim your needle yet? If you havent done both these i would do first and see how you like it. I am using 58 also and mine doesnt lag of idle really, from a stop sign i can pull the wheel halfway through the intersection with stock gearing and my 290lb ass on the seat.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted October 01, 2007 - 07:47 AM

55/158 is probably closer to what you need.

I have had luck rotating the carb by pulling the header heat shield.

Dave

• Denn10

Posted October 01, 2007 - 07:56 AM

55/158 is probably closer to what you need.

I have had luck rotating the carb by pulling the header heat shield.

Dave

He said in jetting forum he was at sea level thats why i told him what i had also for jets.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • martinfan30

Posted October 01, 2007 - 09:24 AM

DONT drill your jets just hold out and get the right one your never gonna get it to exact specs as when there made. You said your sea level right on jetting post? First before you change jets i would drill your slide DID you shim your needle yet? If you havent done both these i would do first and see how you like it. I am using 58 also and mine doesnt lag of idle really, from a stop sign i can pull the wheel halfway through the intersection with stock gearing and my 290lb ass on the seat.

denn, so that IS you in your avatar pic!LOL!

too rich on the pilot. go 55. do drill the slide too.

• Denn10

Posted October 01, 2007 - 10:28 AM

denn, so that IS you in your avatar pic!LOL!

do drill the slide too.

I VILL CRUSH YOU.... Drill the slide If your unhappy MARTIN will sell you his stock one since he isnt using his CV carb

• gearloos

Posted October 01, 2007 - 11:09 AM

cool, I'll drill the slide.
I can wait for the jet, no big deal but we used to drill the jets all the time and I'm not ever going back to the 50 so figured why not.
Oh and nope, wasn't me, I never posted in the jetting forum but I'm close to sea level.
I am also going to a new carb when I get another grand + spared out.
I just want to do the carb and pipe at the same time. I want a staintune if I can get one. No packing, no fuss..

• martinfan30

Posted October 01, 2007 - 11:12 AM

I can wait for the jet, no big deal but we used to drill the jets all the time and I'm not ever going back to the 50 so figured why not.
Oh and nope, wasn't me, I never posted in the jetting forum but I'm close to sea level.
I just want to do the carb and pipe at the same time. I want a staintune if I can get one. No packing, no fuss..

staintune is the way to go. that wil be my next exhaust.

its very hard to get the jet drilled just right so it flows correctly.

• martinfan30

Posted October 01, 2007 - 11:12 AM

I VILL CRUSH YOU.... Drill the slide If your unhappy MARTIN will sell you his stock one since he isnt using his CV carb

clown lover huh!? you will never catch me!

• Denn10

Posted October 01, 2007 - 11:14 AM

Sorry thought u were the one in jetting forum Where in CA are ya?

• gearloos

Posted October 01, 2007 - 09:39 PM

I'm in the hills above Pasadena but I ride everywhere from Glamas to Johnson Valley to Last Chance canyon. I work up in Bishop and Mammoth area too from time to time and I might start haulin a bike up there too.

• Denn10

Posted October 02, 2007 - 06:30 AM

mammoth rocks

• gearloos

Posted October 03, 2007 - 05:47 PM

Ya, I wish I worked up there more often but only like 3 or 4 times a year for a few days each time

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.