Another cable lube method

16 replies to this topic
  • Huffa 2

Posted September 30, 2007 - 07:13 AM

Sometimes those cable lubers just don't cut it for me, hole is too small in cable, so I just use a syringe to lube them, works great.

Posted Image

• MindBlower

Posted September 30, 2007 - 07:27 AM

Sometimes those cable lubers just don't cut it for me, hole is too small in cable, so I just use a syringe to lube them, works great.

Posted Image

What kind of oil is used?

• Huffa 2

Posted September 30, 2007 - 08:20 AM

What kind of oil is used?

Well 1st I use brake cleaner to clean the cable good then I either use WD40 or Marvel Mystery oil.

You can buy specific cable lube though ...........

http://www.protectal.../cable_life.htm

• martinfan30

Posted September 30, 2007 - 09:18 AM

nice idea huff!:confused:

• Huffa 2

Posted September 30, 2007 - 10:18 AM

nice idea huff!:confused:

Thanks Martin ! :confused:

• MindBlower

Posted September 30, 2007 - 12:34 PM

wd40 leaves a pretty sticky surface after the solvents evaporate. It's designed as a protective coating (equipment shipped overseas in WWII), not as a lube. But I like the syringe idea!

• Huffa 2

Posted September 30, 2007 - 12:50 PM

wd40 leaves a pretty sticky surface after the solvents evaporate. It's designed as a protective coating (equipment shipped overseas in WWII), not as a lube. But I like the syringe idea!

Well that's good info too, I won't use the D anymore for that purpose then, Thank You !

• KShow

Posted September 30, 2007 - 02:14 PM

Back when I worked in a bike shop (the pedal kind) we would use Tri-Flow for cables, from what I remember it worked pretty good for lots of stuff. I was actually eyeing a can of it in the hardware store the other day, untill the wife caught me and told me I already had enough cans of spray lube in the garage. Didnt want to bother explaining it at the moment

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Sundog

Posted September 30, 2007 - 02:16 PM

Back when I worked in a bike shop (the pedal kind) we would use Tri-Flow for cables, from what I remember it worked pretty good for lots of stuff. I was actually eyeing a can of it in the hardware store the other day, untill the wife caught me and told me I already had enough cans of spray lube in the garage. Didnt want to bother explaining it at the moment

I never liked the spray tri-flow....always got the non-pressurized bottles of it. Still have some from 10 years ago. Had a very distinctive smell to it IIRC.

• InternalCombustion

Posted September 30, 2007 - 04:17 PM

Huffa,

I hear ya. Lubed my R's cables before I left for MXoN and "most" of the lube went into the cable...

Where can you get syringes, without raising eyebrows?

Thanks!

• Huffa 2

Posted September 30, 2007 - 05:03 PM

Huffa,

I hear ya. Lubed my R's cables before I left for MXoN and "most" of the lube went into the cable...

Where can you get syringes, without raising eyebrows?

Thanks!

" without raising eyebrows " ........that cracked me up ! LOL

You know anyone diabetic ? I think that's where I got mine from.

My wife just said that outside medical centers there are red containers that contain biohazard material which I guess would include the syringes and are picked up later on when place is closed, hard to believe they would leave outside but that's waht she says our medical center does, :confused: possibly you could raid one of those, :confused: don't get caught though!

• Phuzzy McPhuzzface

Posted September 30, 2007 - 05:48 PM

My wife just said that outside medical centers there are red containers that contain biohazard material which I guess would include the syringes and are picked up later on when place is closed, hard to believe they would leave outside but that's waht she says our medical center does, :confused: possibly you could raid one of those, :confused: don't get caught though!

Ack! :confused:

Man, I wouldn't go messing around in others' biospooge. Yer liable to get the epizooties! :confused:

• bork

Posted September 30, 2007 - 06:44 PM

Go to a vet & ask them for a used one & tell them what it's for. Also I read the same tip from a real old MC mag. The other method was, what is called the douch bag. Take a sandwhich size baggie & take scizzors to snip a real small hole in corner. slide the corner hole over cable end & casing approx 1/2"-1", and rubberband real tight around cable. Now hang up bag with cable hanging, & pour in some oil of choice.(put small pan or some bowl to catch oil going thru) You can actually work cable end in & out at other end to help flush out old grime. Oil will be dirty coming thru at first but will clear when a thorough douch is completed. Ahhh fresh as a summer's eve.

• wheelnut46

Posted September 30, 2007 - 07:00 PM

Think the syringe trick will work with the cable still attached? I just replaced my clutch cable about a month ago.

• GENE426

Posted September 30, 2007 - 07:10 PM

that is exactly how i have been doing it for years....
Great minds think alike

• Denn10

Posted September 30, 2007 - 08:26 PM

I havent ran into a cable that i couldnt do with my luber, you have to cover with a rag cuz my can of cable lube squirts out a bit but always done the job very well. I dont like wd like said before also just cause its so light an oil and most cable lube or good chain wax will last a bit longer. Many neglect cables hopefully this thread will get some into keeping them up. I always lube mine and it helps them last alot longer and smoother than not. Good post Huff THX

• martinfan30

Posted October 01, 2007 - 09:58 AM

Go to a vet & ask them for a used one & tell them what it's for. Also I read the same tip from a real old MC mag. The other method was, what is called the douch bag. Take a sandwhich size baggie & take scizzors to snip a real small hole in corner. slide the corner hole over cable end & casing approx 1/2"-1", and rubberband real tight around cable. Now hang up bag with cable hanging, & pour in some oil of choice.(put small pan or some bowl to catch oil going thru) You can actually work cable end in & out at other end to help flush out old grime. Oil will be dirty coming thru at first but will clear when a thorough douch is completed. Ahhh fresh as a summer's eve.

HAHAHA!LOL!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.