101 MPH on a 2007 YZ450F

28 replies to this topic
  • IDAHOBALLER

Posted October 01, 2007 - 08:32 AM

I personally have not. However, a friend of the family had a YZ450 with a Scotts and a KTM 450 EXC with a GPR and he said the Scotts was superior. I have dealt with the staff at Scotts for many years and their customer service is great. Once, my damper had a little bit of black grease near the top of the armature, nothing major at all. I called them up and they rebuilt it for me at no charge.

I think I will go for the scotts bolt on kit(above the handlebars) then. I have only heard great things about scotts products and customer service.

On their website they only show kits for the 06-07 bike. Will these fit the 08 with the shorter headtube? Or is there a special kit for the 08?

Thanks again.

• grayracer513

Posted October 01, 2007 - 09:29 AM

They should fit, but the definitive answer will come from Scotts themselves. Call them. They have great people in telephone service as well.

• IDAHOBALLER

Posted October 01, 2007 - 10:16 AM

They should fit, but the definitive answer will come from Scotts themselves. Call them. They have great people in telephone service as well.

I will give them a call and see what they have to say.:confused:

• JordanPaulGahan66

Posted October 13, 2007 - 02:06 PM

So how fast should a stock crf250r with 13/51 gearing go top speed? Just wondering, thats what I have, also how do you figure it out guys? Some kinda formula?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CRF250X Rider

Posted October 13, 2007 - 02:18 PM

my brother has got his KTM 525EXC up to 104 on the highway with stock gearing. He geared it down now so it goes about 85.

• grayracer513

Posted October 13, 2007 - 03:28 PM

... how do you figure it out guys? Some kinda formula?

You need to know the peak RPM the engine is limited to, or can reach in high gear, the loaded diameter of the rear tire, the primary reduction ratio, the transmission ratio in high gear, and the final drive ratio (external sprockets).

Then:
First calculate the overall reduction ratio:
(Rear Sprocket/Front Sprocket)*Primary Ratio*Transmission Ratio = Overall Ratio

Then:
[(RPM/Overall Ratio)*Tire Diameter*3.1416]/1056 = speed at rpm in given gear.

Then reduce the answer by 9-12% for dirt, or 4-8% for pavement to allow for tire slippage (this will vary wildly based on the tire, the surface, and in particular, gets greater with speed)

• motoag93

Posted October 16, 2007 - 07:08 PM

Gray, I enjoy TT mainly because of your extensive knowledge....and I only see your posts regarding the YZ.....:crazy: Thanks.

• NorCal

Posted October 16, 2007 - 08:48 PM

Gray, I enjoy TT mainly because of your extensive knowledge....and I only see your posts regarding the YZ.....:applause: Thanks.

It's almost like I wouldn't buy anything else besides a YZ because I can get so much extensive info from Gray. You should work out a deal w/Yamaha (and TT for that matter)! Thanks again! :crazy: B) :bonk: :D

• Richie B

Posted October 17, 2007 - 11:23 AM

You need to know the peak RPM the engine is limited to, or can reach in high gear, the loaded diameter of the rear tire, the primary reduction ratio, the transmission ratio in high gear, and the final drive ratio (external sprockets).

Then:
First calculate the overall reduction ratio:
(Rear Sprocket/Front Sprocket)*Primary Ratio*Transmission Ratio = Overall Ratio

Then:
[(RPM/Overall Ratio)*Tire Diameter*3.1416]/1056 = speed at rpm in given gear.

Then reduce the answer by 9-12% for dirt, or 4-8% for pavement to allow for tire slippage (this will vary wildly based on the tire, the surface, and in particular, gets greater with speed)

:crazy: :D

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.