61 replies to this topic
  • BWB63

Posted October 10, 2007 - 12:09 PM

:confused: :applause: :confused: Yah, right :confused: :confused: :confused:

LC4 stomps the XR650r:banghead:

NOT A CHANCE:p

• hill5150

Posted October 10, 2007 - 01:13 PM

The KTM 65 SXC destroys the XR 650r hands down. To bad they don't keep importing them to the US. :confused: Best bike for the big four stroke class!!!

You shouldn't drunk post son......Either that or you were dreamwalking and started posting.......:confused:

• XR680RR

Posted October 10, 2007 - 02:22 PM

Those little KTM 65's are quick!!! It would take my BRP on the pewee track everytime!

• A Rider

Posted October 30, 2007 - 02:33 PM

Here is the ultimate since the 690 enduro is not "Race Ready". The new 2008Honda TRX 700 quad has the xr650 motor with a little overbore and FI and E-start. Buy both, swap motors and either sell the quad or part it and have a XR700R FI-E. Will some one do it so the rest of us will know if it's possible.

• Denn10

Posted October 30, 2007 - 02:36 PM

Here is the ultimate since the 690 enduro is not "Race Ready". The new 2008Honda TRX 700 quad has the xr650 motor with a little overbore and FI and E-start. Buy both, swap motors and either sell the quad or part it and have a XR700R FI-E. Will some one do it so the rest of us will know if it's possible.

HEY this is a useless thread for you to post nonsence on not some serious questions about mods and great ideas!!!!

J/K did you read from the start? nice first post TY for adding to this useless thread that started with a blank page and title of "delete" from our zombie guy that started all this mess.

• martinfan30

Posted October 30, 2007 - 09:40 PM

hahahaha!

• tonymorr

Posted November 13, 2007 - 01:58 PM

I just stumbled upon this on KTM's website: http://www.ktmusa.co...Hash=3ecc6f5f80

After checking out the specs, it still doesn't stack up against the XR650R. The KTM 690's listed dry weight is 28lbs heavier, it has about 2 inches less suspension travel 0.2" less ground clearance. Can someone remind me again what is so dated about the 650R? There is no other 600cc plus machine out their that can match the 650R's specs that I know of except the Husaberg FE650 (240 lbs). I'd still rather have the Honda 650R on my long adventures over a Husaberg (or KTM) any day.

I'm looking at the 690 Enduro. I came across this thread while searching for info on it. I've never ridden an XR650R but I have heard great things about it. I do however think you need to compare wet weights when comparing bikes. The first site I found when searching for wet weight of the XR said this "What is the *real* weight of the bike? (wet, no fuel) Honda CLAIMS the bike weighs 276lbs (125.5kg), but real world with fluids is more like 300 to 304lbs" I don't know if they are reputable or not, here's the link http://www.dirtrodde...650r/faq.html#1 KTM lists the 690 weight as "wet, no fuel" and it's 305.4 lbs. I think that's impressive considering it is street legal with lights, mirrors, and ELECTRIC START. I'm not a KTM rider yet. I'm a Honda guy, but I might be switching soon.

Tony

• BWB63

Posted November 13, 2007 - 02:11 PM

XR650R wet no fuel is 284~286 pounds (full of fuel is 308 pounds) this is fact but, the down under bike weighs 20 pounds more

• hondacrf150f1

Posted November 13, 2007 - 02:27 PM

If honda put the bored out XR700R motor in the present XR650R frame, that would sell!, i would sell my current 650 and buy a brand new 700CC E-start, fuel injected bike. Something like that would become a great supermoto!

• Stefan

Posted March 30, 2008 - 09:45 AM

I got mine yesterday.
By the way: the bike is a blast to ride.
Very crisp response on the throttle.
Mine even pulls smooth out from about 2500 rpm.
First 60 miles I kept the revs below 5000. Fuel consumption about one gallon...
Gear train is very, very smooth, short tips and the gears are in. Neutral was not easy to find first, but it seems to get better by the minute.
Its a very slim bike, weight is very well balanced. I touch ground on my toes, but it goes without thinking to slide an inch either side and you get the bike full under control.
Noise: a real single with a Grunt! AND a very silent exhaust. Just right to keep everybody in my neighbourhod happy.
Stability is tremendous even on the Autobahn (uups: break in rev limit passed 2000 rpms ago..Brake!).
I did not brake much today though, just gliding into corners and let engine brake do the work (what a nice popping sound from below...)
Corner clearance not tested yet: new tyres, low temperatures, new bike; I am careful.

Craftmansship is outstanding: KTM at its best. Only flaws my scrutiny found are two bubbles under decals which I got out with a needle and heat gun and mirrors which showed off my shoulders only before I bent the steel so they extend as far out as the handlebar.
I actually like that, cause I love to work on my bikes to some extent.

too bad I cant post pictures here, see advrider.com

cu

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RickyPanecatyl

Posted March 30, 2008 - 01:39 PM

Thanks for the update Stefan! Any chance you've ridden a 650R and could compare them?

Wow 60 mpg! The way I figure the KTM's a heck of alot lighter than the BRP - if you added lights/mirrors E start to the BRP or took them away from the KTM they'd be about the same. Then add enough gas in each one to do 180 miles and you've added 19 top lbs to the KTM and 40 top heavy lbs to the Honda.

• Stefan

Posted April 04, 2008 - 01:14 PM

Sorry mate, never got the chance to ride a XR650R.
Wanted to buy one 2001 but was not streert legal at that time, so I got a DR400 instead.:prof:
IMHO Honda did no development on the BRP (too busy with cars!), thats whats better about KTM.

• garrysimmons

Posted May 03, 2008 - 04:06 AM

I stumbled across this thread doing a search on the KTM. The big deal (for me) is that the KTM is DOT-legal. The Husky TE610 is DOT-legal. The XR-R is not, and is not easily done in PA. The KTM and Husky both offer 6 speed trannys too for those of us that spend as much time in top gear on the highway (true 50/50 use) as first gear in the woods. E-start is great too.

I wish Honda (or any of the Big 4) would put out an new/updated 450-650cc DOT-legal dual-sport that isn't a pig.

I'll continue to ride my DRZ400S this season with an eye toward a KTM or Husky (or something new if released) for next season...

• BWB63

Posted May 03, 2008 - 06:50 AM

That would all be correct but, if I remember right this was a thread about winning a Baja race or comparing race big bore thumpers

• Motosprtman

Posted May 03, 2008 - 07:23 AM

KTM bah -humbug! I say! LOL, no really, they are great if your more of a purest off road rider and your riding level is of a level that you can appreciate the technology. For me a XR650L is just fine and way more bike than I need off road. My 2004 XR250R seems like a works bike to me, after having ridden the old 70's XL's for so long. I guess if you think about it the XR250R as compared to 70's era bikes - would indeed of been a wiz bang "works bike" Mabe not in power - but certainly in suspension and maybe handling too.

• steveberde

Posted May 07, 2008 - 08:21 PM

for those of us that live in the great big Pacific NW and want to ride 150 or more miles of twisty paved road to get to our National Forests for hundreds of miles of narly logs and rocky terrain the KTM seems to fit the bill - I currently own a DR 650 dual sport and like it a lot -but at highway speeds of 80 and up it's pretty anemic and the same off road - it just seems to me that the 690 enduro is the bike to own - I'd hoped for an Adventure from KTM but this seems to be it for now - one problem I will face is seat height - I'm 5-7 and will need to deal with that but I'm sure I can get it sorted out

I'm awaiting mine toward the end of May or sometime in June -

Steve
Spokane WA

• Thumpage

Posted May 08, 2008 - 12:52 AM

IMHO Honda did no development on the BRP (too busy with cars!), thats whats better about KTM.

Now I would have to say that was a statement without any real forethought or knowledge of the history of the XR650R. :p

Honda Motorcars and Honda motorcycles are two different divisions. The engineers that design Honda cars are not the same engineers that design the bikes.
Furthermore, The XR650R was purpose designed by Honda with years of desert racing inspired experience with input by Bruce Ogilvie. The Honda Baja racing staff extensively tested the prototype units before the bike was put into production.
Yes, the bike still has some flaws like any other bike out there but overall it is truly a world class bike. As a matter of fact, just in the motor department, there is no other bike that can compare with it's combination of performance (&) reliability. KTMs vaunted LC4 based motor could never compare on par. The XR650R motor is simply the best in the business for what it was designed to do.
KTM has put out bikes that are in obvious need of refinement in larger aspects. The XR650R was introduced as a more refined bike in mechanical aspects, than any comparable KTM offering. What you get in premium bars and grips and the like should not be confused with engine and overall build quality & design. You cannot make up for quality design and build with a pair of bars and black anodized wheels.
Shall we talk about suspension blurbs, still to this day, with KTMs? How about motor glitches & early failures across the board in their line of 4 stroke bikes. You will read of some from time to time with the XR650R but let's be honest. Most failures from a XR650R are usually far later in the future than the average timeframe of a LC4 or other KTM bigbore variation. :eek:

• RickyPanecatyl

Posted May 09, 2008 - 01:43 AM

I just sold a '97 KTM LC4 with over 80K miles (130K km) ... any XR650R's out there with that kind of mileage? I'm not doubting it, just curious.

I have heard the XR's engine doesn't vibrate as bad and there were times in that 80k miles I was hoping it would die already :eek:

• jjmalone

Posted May 25, 2008 - 09:20 PM

I rode the motard version of the KTM 690 enduro Saturday and ordered the enduro. Engines are identical as far as specs go. I have a good running XR650R also. The KTM is electric start, street legal and may be somewhat comparable to the XR off road. I have a plate hanging on my XR but…… it is not street machine and compares very poorly to the 690 for that use. The 690 is very smooth compared to the XR. The 690 is a redesign of the LC4. The fuel injection is flawless, great response, smooth, instant starting. I think my XR has a little more power then the 690 but it is hard to tell. It may be the XR is just a lot louder and the KTM was brand new and I didn’t want to wring it out. The ergos of the 690 is great right out of the box. You can’t beat the WP suspension. I look forward to owning both. You can bet that any new 600 up street legal enduro with evaporative and all other emissions compliant, e-start and all will be heavy. KTM did an excellent job on this one.

• RickyPanecatyl

Posted May 26, 2008 - 04:57 PM

JJ Malone! Hey let's us know how those two compare to each other after you get the enduro ...

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.