SoCal weekday riders???



30 replies to this topic
  • hodaphile

Posted March 18, 2002 - 11:00 PM

#1

Anyone interested in riding midweek? Usually do mountains rather than desert. Dual sport legal helps but not necessary.

  • kirktemp

Posted March 19, 2002 - 07:14 AM

#2

hodaphile I am interested in weekday rides. My work schedule allows it. I see that you live in L.B. I'm just over the border in Lakewood. I had some great riding in Gorman two weeks ago, rode up to Frazier Peak (8000ft) was snowing. What a great ride. Not to mention we were the only ones up there!!! Then for lunch we rode into Gorman, pulled right up to the Sizzler, filled up our tanks and went out for some more fun. Let me know.

  • MotoGreg

Posted March 19, 2002 - 10:11 PM

#3

I have every other Wednesday off work and I'd like to do some dual sport rides. I know a lot of fun stuff up in the Lake Silverwood area. Please keep me informed about Wednesday rides, my email is CRF450racer@aol.com .

  • SoCa_DRZ-S

Posted March 19, 2002 - 01:43 PM

#4

Ihave some flexibility in my schedule and maybe some room for weekday rides.

Silverwood is about 15-20 minutes from my house. There's lots of good riding all around those hills.

Mike

  • joe_moto

Posted March 19, 2002 - 03:52 PM

#5

would love to ride silverwood area, been up there a few times, I have every wednesday off,can start at the dam parking lot. EKasinga@aol.com

  • SoCalWR426

Posted March 19, 2002 - 05:01 PM

#6

Count me in!!
My day's rotate through the week when I can go.. Let me know as most of my day's off are during the week. No dualsport though..

SoCal

  • lomitamike

Posted March 19, 2002 - 05:45 PM

#7

I've got about 90 days on the books. Post the weekday preferably before schools out and I'm definitly interested. Mike

  • MotoGreg

Posted March 19, 2002 - 07:25 PM

#8

Well, I'm in for March 27, or April 10, or April 24....

I don't know how the weather is up at Silverwood right now, if there is any snow or not? We usually park at the Pilot Rock campground which is a couple miles past the lake entrance. From there I know a lot of fun stuff with miles and miles of tight, twisty singletrack. We end up at Deep Creek near the Cedar Glen area of Lake Arrowhead. From there you can either go through Deep Creek and head up towards the Crab Flats area. Also, if you don't cross Deep Creek the main fire road turns into a paved road with a bunch of cabins on it. If you follow that road out about two miles there is a place called Cedar Glen Malt Shop and they have some damn good cheeseburgers. You can also get gas about 1/4 mile up the road from there. I've done this many times on a non-dualsport dirtbike and as long as you're not speeding down the street nobody cares. In fact, one time a group of about six or seven of us were at the gas station on full on dirtbikes talking with a Sheriff (who was looking for a lost hiker) and he never blinked an eye about our bikes.

Anyway, in the past year I've only been up there twice and I want to start going a lot more. You'll need to buy a $5 "Adventure Pass" from the liquor store on the road in. You aren't allow to park your truck on forest land without the adventure pass. Or you can buy a yearly pass for $30 that's good for all state parks, campgrounds, and forestry areas. You can get these from stores like Big 5 or Sport Chalet. The best part about the $30 yearly pass is that you're allowed to buy a "second vehicle yearly pass" for an additional $5... so if two people get together it'll only cost you $17.50 each for the yearly pass. That is what my friend and I just did.

  • Private_Joker

Posted March 20, 2002 - 05:09 AM

#9

Sounds like a blast Greg. I just don't want to ride my drz, it's for sale. My new WR should be here in about a week but I'll be in Maui.

If I can get my WR, get the suspension back from the shop quick enough, I'm sure I can make a 4/24 ride(Gotta take a couple inches of the seat height). I don't think I'll have the suspension back by 4/10.

I'll follow this thread to keep track of plans.

  • slr

Posted March 20, 2002 - 08:18 AM

#10

what time would you guys start the ride and finish? i ride there as much as i can.i park at miller canyon.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MotoGreg

Posted March 20, 2002 - 03:41 PM

#11

Where is Miller Canyon? Any time is good for me, I wouldn't want to start any earlier than 9am though, I don't want to have to get up at the crack of dawn on my day off.

  • slr

Posted March 21, 2002 - 06:50 AM

#12

miller canyon is off of 138 and silverwood lake. other side of dam.

  • hodaphile

Posted March 21, 2002 - 07:32 AM

#13

Miller Canyon, Pilot Rock, Silverwood are all pretty much the same place. Great place to stage out of.

I usually have to make them fairly short rides, around 3 hours or so. But there are so many ways to ride that I can drop out and the rest kep going. I was up there this past Monday but too much snow to get into staging area without 4x4. I actually spent most of my time checking out the back way on 173 but it really had a ton of snow!

Would anyone be interested in riding next Thursday?

Hey anyone know how to add a picture in here??

  • MojaveMutt

Posted March 21, 2002 - 09:41 AM

#14

OK, Here we go......
I can take any of you guys on an awesome dualsport ride that can be a combo of desert/ mountains. I live in Apple Valley, Ca. and can ride just about any Friday, Saturday, Sunday, right out of my garage, after 4/19. ( I have a knee injury i have to let heal for 3-4 more weeks.) I live 5 minutes from desert trails and 15 minutes from roads and trails on the north side of the San Bernardinos. You won't need an adventure pass, we won't be going to Miller Canyon, but i guarantee a much better ride than you'll get with what the forest service will offer. You'll also get the added security of parking your vehicle in front of my house as well. We'll ride bitchen washes, wind through bushes and trees on single track, ride up some big hills and down bigger ones, see old settlment ruins and mines. Many more options than you'll get just sticking to the Arrowhead/Big Bear trail system.
Sorry, no beginners, no unplated bikes,or 3 hour riders. All rides are 120-160 miles in length. If anyones interested let me know, you'll get a ride you won't soon forget.

Glenn

  • hodaphile

Posted March 22, 2002 - 11:15 AM

#15

Yo Mr. Lyles! Can I call you G? 160 miles?? Moses covered less distance that that and he had 40 years! Would be very interested, love exploring! Is there anywhere to get gas on your EPIC trek? I get about tired carried a 5 gallon can on my back. I can do about 120 miles if I carry a few liters with me. Do you go up thru Rattlesnake Cyn? Would love to hear more about the trails and such.

hodaphile@hotmail.com

  • hodaphile

Posted March 22, 2002 - 11:28 AM

#16

Originally posted by MotoGreg:
Well, I'm in for March 27, or April 10, or April 24....

I don't know how the weather is up at Silverwood right now, if there is any snow or not? We usually park at the Pilot Rock campground which is a couple miles past the lake entrance. From there I know a lot of fun stuff with miles and miles of tight, twisty singletrack. We end up at Deep Creek near the Cedar Glen area of Lake Arrowhead. From there you can either go through Deep Creek and head up towards the Crab Flats area. Also, if you don't cross Deep Creek the main fire road turns into a paved road with a bunch of cabins on it. If you follow that road out about two miles there is a place called Cedar Glen Malt Shop and they have some damn good cheeseburgers. You can also get gas about 1/4 mile up the road from there. I've done this many times on a non-dualsport dirtbike and as long as you're not speeding down the street nobody cares. In fact, one time a group of about six or seven of us were at the gas station on full on dirtbikes talking with a Sheriff (who was looking for a lost hiker) and he never blinked an eye about our bikes.

Anyway, in the past year I've only been up there twice and I want to start going a lot more. You'll need to buy a $5 "Adventure Pass" from the liquor store on the road in. You aren't allow to park your truck on forest land without the adventure pass. Or you can buy a yearly pass for $30 that's good for all state parks, campgrounds, and forestry areas. You can get these from stores like Big 5 or Sport Chalet. The best part about the $30 yearly pass is that you're allowed to buy a "second vehicle yearly pass" for an additional $5... so if two people get together it'll only cost you $17.50 each for the yearly pass. That is what my friend and I just did.


Greg- The road you refer to when not crossing Deep Creek, is that 2N26Y going south back into Arrowhead?

  • hodaphile

Posted March 22, 2002 - 11:31 AM

#17

Originally posted by MotoGreg:
Where is Miller Canyon? Any time is good for me, I wouldn't want to start any earlier than 9am though, I don't want to have to get up at the crack of dawn on my day off.


Greg, Greg, Greg- I am deeply disappointed in your commitment level. Perhaps you need to consider golf? Getting up early to abuse yourself is what days off are for! Now if I could only get the wife to understand that!!! Just kidding by the way.

  • hodaphile

Posted March 22, 2002 - 11:34 AM

#18

And could we PLEASE get some guys older than me to ride! Maybe somebody that takes their teeth out at night? Got all excited when I saw 74 as the age on one of your profiles! Then I realized it was the YEAR he was born! I got T-shirts older than that!!!!

  • MotoGreg

Posted March 22, 2002 - 03:40 PM

#19

, is that 2N26Y going south back into Arrowhead?

Is it what? I don't know any stinkin' trail numbers... I just keep roostin' around until I get to someplace! The one I'm talking about is where you have to do a 180 degree left hander to go up to Deep Creek. If you keep going straight it turns into a paved road in about 1/4 mile with a lot of speed bumps (fun to kinda wheelie/jump off of) and then it dumps out onto a mountain road. It looks like we'll have to wait a month or so for the snow to melt though. :)

  • hodaphile

Posted March 22, 2002 - 06:21 PM

#20

Originally posted by MotoGreg:

Is it what? I don't know any stinkin' trail numbers... I just keep roostin' around until I get to someplace! The one I'm talking about is where you have to do a 180 degree left hander to go up to Deep Creek. If you keep going straight it turns into a paved road in about 1/4 mile with a lot of speed bumps (fun to kinda wheelie/jump off of) and then it dumps out onto a mountain road. It looks like we'll have to wait a month or so for the snow to melt though. :)


SNOW?!!?!?! Wait to ride because of snow??? Are you are telling me you are too tough to look at trail numbers???? All you need is a space blanket, a book of matches, and a knife. Used in that order! LOL btw, that was the road I was thinking of.




 
x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.