How to break in new 08 and when to change oil

2 replies to this topic
  • gtxkid

Posted September 28, 2007 - 07:44 PM

What is the best way to break in 2008 YZ450F and what have you guys done as far as the first oil change.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Slinkyman16

Posted September 28, 2007 - 08:09 PM

the manual has a good break in precedure. and even the new transworld mag this month has a section on how to break in new bikes and after break in precedure.

but on all my new bikes i did the same routine with good no engine failers.

you need to put some heat in the motor.. the best way to do this is 20 mins on then 20 mins off. do this like 4-5 times. and for the first hour do not rev it to the moon. shortshift and keep the revs at a min. after you have a few cycles in the motor you can start revin the motor up alittle more each 20 mins. by the end of the first gas tank your motor should be broken in.

as for oil, i use spectro golden 4 simi synthetic.. if you dont use the clutch alot you should go to the full synthetic. in some cases synthetic oils make your clutch slip if you over use your clutch. but any good oil will do.. also make sure you change out your oil filter.

• grayracer513

Posted September 28, 2007 - 08:59 PM

The method in the manual is fine. I disagree with slinky only in the phrase "keep the revs to the minimum". Lugging a new engine may actually be worse than over revving it.

Also, I dump the factory oil and refill with the same Amsoil MCF synthetic I use otherwise. The only oils that may cause clutch issues are "energy conserving" oils, or oils improperly blended for wet clutches. Synthetics DO NOT interfere with engine break in in any way, and in fact, enhance the process. Change the oil and filter after the first full two hours.

Review the second and third points in this post:

Then just remember this:

That whole thread is a pretty good read on the subject.

Related Content

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.