Need Help...Bike being very unstable

11 replies to this topic
  • ysr50speed

Posted September 28, 2007 - 05:21 PM

Alright I just got my bike running and I took it on the freeway yesterday. Its fine up till about 60-65mph. Then its very unstable. Feels as if the front end is very light and the front ends goes side to side. I am running dunlop 606 with a balanced tire. I have tried different psi once at 14 and once at 27. Seemed the higher psi made is a little better. Has anybody delt with this or knows how to fix this???
Thanks for any help

• gearloos

Posted September 28, 2007 - 05:46 PM

You probably did but if not...check the fork pressure and damping also..even on both sides.

• knuklehead

Posted September 28, 2007 - 05:54 PM

My 650r wiggles like crazy with knobbys on the freeway(so much cars would back off).Never have got it to stop all together.Higher PSI front and rear seemed to help the most.

• weskc35k

Posted September 28, 2007 - 06:13 PM

Steering head bearings.

• knuklehead

Posted September 28, 2007 - 06:25 PM

Well let me say it does stop with street tire's just not with dot knobby's or pure dirt knobby's

• Denn10

Posted September 28, 2007 - 06:33 PM

are you saying it gets headshake while driving or just really easy to move back and forth? Mines like that if you just wiggle the bars you can see how it will go crazy.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ysr50speed

Posted September 28, 2007 - 07:29 PM

I didn't check the fork pressure but I will. I checked the steering bearings. It is just really easy to move back and forth and does it on its own and yes if I wiggle the bars they go crazy as well. Maybe I will have to try some different tires. Sounds like its the tires. Does anybody know any decent tires that will fix my problem but still good in the dirt? I do about 60 - 70 percent street but I do enjoy going out to carnegie on the weekends to play in the dirt. Maye I will try those Mefo tire http://www.klr650.co...Sport Tires.htm . Any Ideas?

• jonr3

Posted September 28, 2007 - 08:07 PM

I would bet it's your tires. When I replaced my old DeathWings with D606s, the same thing happened. Right around 65-75 it can get pretty scary. Everything is tight and balanced, and transfering my weight more to the front makes it worse. I'm going to look into finding a set of Mefo knobbies next

• Old Dog

Posted September 28, 2007 - 08:34 PM

Mine did the same thing until I got a couple of hundred miles on the tires, then it was much better. I'm running a skinny Tera-Flex on the rear and a Bridgestone MX on the front.

Until I got some miles on the tires it was like driving on greased ball bearings in a lard bucket. :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

• scalejockey

Posted September 29, 2007 - 05:38 AM

On my 650r Iv'e re-valved both front and rear (WAY stiff) and put heavier springs on with an additional 3\4 " preload on the front springs. It handles like a dream now on the road and the big whoops.
On yours i would crank down the damping, (comp and rebound) all the way, check spoke tension and wheel bearing wear(try to move the wheel side to side).Then go try it again.

• martinfan30

Posted October 01, 2007 - 10:05 AM

prob. the tires. a fork brace helped my L's hiway manners alittle too.

• Denn10

Posted October 01, 2007 - 10:21 AM

On my 650r Iv'e re-valved both front and rear (WAY stiff) and put heavier springs on with an additional 3\4 " preload on the front springs. It handles like a dream now on the road and the big whoops.
On yours i would crank down the damping, (comp and rebound) all the way, check spoke tension and wheel bearing wear(try to move the wheel side to side).Then go try it again.

i would not reccomend you just max out your settings, specially the rebound as if your too light it can throw you pretty good on bumps or offroading. How much you weigh?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.