01 wr426 with yz cams

10 replies to this topic
  • turbogtimk4

Posted September 28, 2007 - 04:45 PM

I have an 01 wr426 and i just got a used set of 01 yz cams for it. Is there anything i need to change or be aware of? do i need to resurfuse the cams? also, do i need new cam bearings? what kind of power difference am i going to notice... is there less bottom end and more top? one last thing, will i need to re-jet? as you can tell, i am new to 4 stokes soyour responces are appriciated! thank you guys!!!

• Birdy426

Posted September 29, 2007 - 07:37 AM

Hope you didn't pay a lot for them... for 98-02, th YZ and WR cams are the same. The only difference is in the timing. Search this thread and you will find about 10 pages of posts discussing how to do it, the advantages and disadvantages of setting up your WR cams to YZ timing specs. When the cams got autodecomp, they became different, as the autodecomp is influenced by cam timing. If you just retimed the exhaust cam, the auto decomp won't be timed right and won't work. The 03 YZ cam is really the hot ticket, as you get YZ timing AND autodecomp.

• dmoney1074

Posted September 29, 2007 - 01:41 PM

^^^ What he said...... yz and wr have the same cams that year, wr cams are just retarded...

• Birdy426

Posted September 29, 2007 - 03:27 PM

^^^ What he said...... yz and wr have the same cams that year, wr cams are just retarded...

Actually, they are advanced one tooth. The YZ cams are retarded 1 tooth wrt the WR cams.

• turbogtimk4

Posted September 29, 2007 - 10:23 PM

The yz and wr cams are different, i dont have them yet to compair, but the yamaha part number is different

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dmoney1074

Posted September 29, 2007 - 10:42 PM

The yz and wr cams are different, i dont have them yet to compair, but the yamaha part number is different

I dont see why they would be.... the wr and yz motors are EXACTLY the same, no difference whatsoever (minus gearbox).

• Birdy426

Posted September 29, 2007 - 10:44 PM

Part numbers might be different (5BE-blah blah for the YZF and 5BF-blah blah for the WR) but that's just the model designator. The specs are the same.

• Thermos O flask

Posted October 01, 2007 - 04:13 AM

The only difference is where the timing DOT is.(1 tooth difference):confused:

• R_Little

Posted October 02, 2007 - 08:39 AM

Forget those cams and buy an auto-decompression cam from an 03

• GCannon

Posted October 02, 2007 - 12:43 PM

Technically I thought only the exhaust cam was advanced one tooth

That would make the YZ and WR intake cams exactly the same and the diffference in exhaust cam is that the sprocket is indexed (rotated) on the camshaft differently so the timing marks line up.

• Thermos O flask

Posted October 03, 2007 - 03:20 AM

:confused:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.