K&N filter issues/YZ450 airbox vent holes and VERY dirty airbox...every time!

7 replies to this topic
  • runester

Posted September 28, 2007 - 03:16 PM

Well, this is the third time I have found dirt in the snorkel. I have a K&N w/ pc seal and am VERY maticulous about the seal and even have a pre-charger (nylon sleeve) and once again I found grit in the snorkel so thats it, I put the stock filter/cage back in...Man, it gets DIRTY___QUICK!!!...in that box!!!! I guess its the vent holes but I wonder if it were in not for the vent holes would I be having this problem...Anyway, This was the third and last chance I gave the filter...I have never before had this happen w/the K&N and a half dozen bikes I use em'on... the dirt that gets in the box is almost unbelievable..after two-three hrs its worse than a months worth of dessert riding on my other bikes
Anyone else having issues with the K&N that never had before because of the vent holes?
Rune

• grayracer513

Posted September 28, 2007 - 03:27 PM

Well, this is the third time I have found dirt in the snorkel. I have a K&N w/ pc seal and am VERY maticulous about the seal and even have a pre-charger (nylon sleeve) and once again I found grit in the snorkel so thats it, I put the stock filter/cage back in...Man, it gets DIRTY___QUICK!!!...in that box!!!! I guess its the vent holes

By snorkel, I assume you mean the air boot? The YZF has no snorkel as the WR does.

I have adopted a policy on my '06's that states that no air filter shall be ridden two days without cleaning in between. I don't know why, but the '06 and up air box does indeed get very dirty very quickly.

Again, assuming that you mean the OEM vents in the side, and not some that you've added, remember that the earlier YZF's all had these (even bigger ones, actually), and didn't get that dusty anywhere near as quickly as the newer bikes.

I would guess that the dust you find in the air boot is due to the filter's oil supply becoming overwhelmed between cleaning/oilings, but I would still not use the K&N.

• UnBubba

Posted September 28, 2007 - 04:01 PM

I ran a K&N on my 2001 chevy truck (stock intake). Same thing..lots of dust in the airboot(or whatever you want to call it). Same thing with my girlfriends ranger. The K&N's got sold at a yardsale. I would never run one in my bike. In my opinion (and experience), they don't filter dust effectively.

• Randall

Posted September 28, 2007 - 06:02 PM

Throw that K&N as far as you can. It amazes me that no one has had them in court for a new engine. They suck dirt like a screen door. Everyone that I know that has used the No-Toil system swears by it but I havent tried it yet. For me its a Twin Air, thoroughly saturated inside & out with Bel-Ray filter oil.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • todds924

Posted September 28, 2007 - 06:15 PM

K&N filters are garbage. Stock filters cleaned every ride work perfectly.

• 642MX

Posted September 28, 2007 - 06:26 PM

I've seen a bunch of K&N's pass dirt. Sometimes a lack of oil is the culprit, but the design has something to do with it too. I'll just keep using foam filters and FFT. My intake boot is clean and my intake valves seem happy. :confused:

• grayracer513

Posted September 28, 2007 - 07:30 PM

On K&N's, foam filters, and oil.

http://www.thumperta...541#post4782541

http://www.thumperta...352#post5215352

http://www.thumperta...783#post5212783

• runester

Posted September 28, 2007 - 11:37 PM

Well...I clean it every 4 hrs or every ride, only have 12.7 hrs on the bike so far...and I was using K&N oil but switched after the last cleaning to maxima spray, VERY tacky, still let in dust though not as much as the K&N oil, and yea gray, I meant the airboot, I often mix up labels like that I broke my neck in a street bike accident back in 87 and my memory is crap, landed on my head and ended up in a halo for 6 months, anyway, dont know about the previous yzf's but I do know that most bikes especially MX bikes have some sort of vent holes situated into the side panels but man the amount of dirt that enters that box is insane!!! I think I am going to try to filter those points. Anyway, I will go w/the stock filter for now...its my track bike and doesnt see much time as it is , I spend most time at the track coaching my 9 yr old.
Thanks for all the replies!!!
Rune

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.