What to buy? Big bore Bike.

7 replies to this topic
  • Pilate74

Posted September 28, 2007 - 12:43 PM

Its time to tear down my dual sport XR650R. Motor runs fine. I need to clean and repack the chassis bushings and have the rear shock rebuilt. I need to buy another bike to ride because I do not have a good place to work on the Xr. I would like to buy another big bore bike. Anybody have any thoughts about the Beta 525, Husaberg 650 or Ktm 525? I plan on keeping Xr, but would like somthing a little lighter for the tight stuff. I really need this bike to be road legal from the factory. I would buy a updated Xr650r if Honda would build it. Thanks, Robert

• AtomicGeo

Posted September 28, 2007 - 01:02 PM

Its time to tear down my dual sport XR650R. Motor runs fine. I need to clean and repack the chassis bushings and have the rear shock rebuilt. I need to buy another bike to ride because I do not have a good place to work on the Xr. I would like to buy another big bore bike. Anybody have any thoughts about the Beta 525, Husaberg 650 or Ktm 525? I plan on keeping Xr, but would like somthing a little lighter for the tight stuff. I really need this bike to be road legal from the factory. I would buy a updated Xr650r if Honda would build it. Thanks, Robert

I myself am looking at a Husky TE610, but for a lighter tight stuff street legal look at the Husky TE410 or TE510 at 250 lbs.

• AtomicGeo

Posted September 28, 2007 - 01:04 PM

Oops I meant the TE450 (not TE410)...

• Pilate74

Posted September 28, 2007 - 02:41 PM

The huskys look cool. How hard is it to get parts? I am shipping out to the federal law enforcement academy for a few months and wont be able to purchase anything until I get back. I think it would be better to buy the bike after Christmas anyway. I Know that KTM has the best support as far as dealers go. My goal is to have two street legal bikes so I am not forced to sneak around on my non plated 250 when one of the big bikes needs fixing. Praying Honda Will come out with a XR700R in time for the BAJA 1000.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • weskc35k

Posted September 28, 2007 - 05:25 PM

HGusaberg 650 or 550.

• VBS-Thumpstar

Posted September 28, 2007 - 06:32 PM

Yamaha TW200.

It will make you fix your pig that much sooner! :confused:

Sean :confused:

• scalejockey

Posted September 29, 2007 - 05:55 AM

I rode a 525 KTM. It was a little strange, A lot of engine noise,sounds like it's ready to blow at any time. But man are they light and fast!
I know a guy that just bought a new 300 KTM broke the clutch lever off and had to order one (real special) it took 3 weeks and cost 40 bucks.

• Pilate74

Posted September 29, 2007 - 07:56 AM

I rode a 525 KTM. It was a little strange, A lot of engine noise,sounds like it's ready to blow at any time. But man are they light and fast!
I know a guy that just bought a new 300 KTM broke the clutch lever off and had to order one (real special) it took 3 weeks and cost 40 bucks.

$40 ***??? I break stuff like that almost every time I go out in the desert. Ten bucks is the most a lever should cost. I guess the valves take longer than 10 min to adjust as well. I wonder if these new bikes can handle full throttle hwy speeds for 4-5 hours at a time? I rode my XR a 1000 miles in a weekend. 8oo miles were as fast as it would go on 1-10. Used 1/2 a quart of oil the whole trip. I am going to lookup some parts prices today.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.