Numberplate loop attachment on fat bars

10 replies to this topic
  • neevothespaniel

Posted September 27, 2007 - 07:09 PM

I have a YZ450F (05) with the standard Renthal Bars. Took a spill at the weekend and they are a little out of whack.

Going to move over to a fat bar but I was wondering what the numberplate attaches to with this setup.

Pictures would be nice, but any info is appreciated.

• 06crf_er

Posted September 27, 2007 - 07:12 PM

Works just fine on my CRF.....doesn't move at all:thumbsup:

Posted Image

• WileE1

Posted September 28, 2007 - 03:33 AM

I always cut mine off with a dremel. Looks clean, has never affected the ops or maintenance.

• KJ790

Posted September 28, 2007 - 03:51 AM

If you cut it off you need to leave a little bit of it and zip-ty it to your bars. Otherwise your front brake hose can catch on it and then you end up in big trouble, I've seen it happen. This is why manufacturers put that piece on the numberplate. Also, that piece holds the clutch and hotstart cables on the 06 and newer models.

• grayracer513

Posted September 28, 2007 - 06:38 AM

If you cut it off you need to leave a little bit of it and zip-ty it to your bars. Otherwise your front brake hose can catch on it and then you end up in big trouble, I've seen hit happen. This is why manufacturers put that piece on the numberplate. Also, that piece holds the clutch and hotstart cables on the 06 and newer models.

Yep, keeps the brake hose from hooking over the number plate and causing, um, trouble. :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • WileE1

Posted September 29, 2007 - 08:51 PM

If you cut it off you need to leave a little bit of it and zip-ty it to your bars. Otherwise your front brake hose can catch on it and then you end up in big trouble, I've seen it happen. This is why manufacturers put that piece on the numberplate. Also, that piece holds the clutch and hotstart cables on the 06 and newer models.

First Ive heard of that sort of thing. Wow never even thought of it!
Not bashing you guys, but my 05 ktm is stock with out that over the bar strap as well as most late model KTMs?
Ive been riding and racing for years like that. Great now its Jinxed!:confused: :confused: Good thing I've got life insurance.

• KJ790

Posted September 29, 2007 - 09:00 PM

KTMs and Husqvarnas deal with this issue in other ways. They have guides that hold the hose very close to the numberplate so that it cannot flop around as much and reduce the risk of it hooking. They also have a little tab sticking out to the one side to hold the hose out. Look at the shape of the KTM number plate and you will see the extra tab I'm talking about.
Posted Image

• WileE1

Posted September 29, 2007 - 09:14 PM

Now that I'm jinxed.....

I like the zip ty idea! Guess I better do something about it.

• grayracer513

Posted September 29, 2007 - 09:19 PM

It's one of those things like a snake bite kit. Most people never need it. But....

• WileE1

Posted September 29, 2007 - 09:25 PM

Yeah, no kidding!
Really, I never considered any potential risk. Guess it was good that I replied to this thread!

• grayracer513

Posted September 29, 2007 - 11:36 PM

It seems to me as if a number of things would have to go wrong at the same time for it to actually hook the hose over the plate.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.