my KLX450R has a cooling fan!

39 replies to this topic
  • rentaldude

Posted September 27, 2007 - 07:08 PM

Installed my long awaited cooling fan on the KLX450R. Installation was easier than thought, Works Great, did some initial testing, it cycled on and off while idling in the shop and stop light. But haven't given it the real spanking yet. I was right the fan and thermo switch off my 08 KLR 650 fit really well with little effort, also installed a override switch so I can turn it on any time. Total install time 3 hours.

Bryan
Posted Image

• KLX450R

Posted September 29, 2007 - 07:04 AM

More photos please.
1)What are you bolting to in the lower left radiator spot, where on mine is just the rad tank, bracket you made, or part of that rad guard?
2)Where is your petcock located?
3)How much clearance do you have between the head and the rear of the fan?
4) Is there any flexing in your radiator with that bracket? What brand did you use?
5)Are you running the oem tank or IMS?
6)Where did you pull power?
7)Did you meter the battery for stator output when at idle and fan on?
8)Where is your thermo switch located? Did you make new pipe joint or tap one of the existing one's?
9)Did you know that the fan sells for $300 and the thermo switch $90?

OK I am done now?:confused:

• rentaldude

Posted September 29, 2007 - 05:36 PM

More photos please.
1)What are you bolting to in the lower left radiator spot, where on mine is just the rad tank, bracket you made, or part of that rad guard?
[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]If you look in the picture provided the lower left bracket is attached to the radiator so the fan will flex with the radiator. I made the bracket from a unneeded part of the KLX I removed, try to guess what part?
2)Where is your petcock located?[/COLOR]
[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]I made a new bracket off my Radiator supports to mount it, now its easier to get to.[/COLOR]
3)How much clearance do you have between the head and the rear of the fan?
[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]as you can see in that picture, Plenty, I would say 1/2-3/4"[/COLOR]
4) Is there any flexing in your radiator with that bracket? What brand did you use? [COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Yes I wanted the Fan to flex with the radiator, that was important.[/COLOR]
5)Are you running the oem tank or IMS?
[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]IMS kx450F[/COLOR]
6)Where did you pull power?
[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]I pulled power from the positive side of the Battery with in line blade type fuse 10AMP, to the thermo switch, then to a switch on the left handlebar I bought in a hurry before my trip. its a typical combo switch #5,LOL you know, light on-off , high low, horn button, kill switch, type. I have the light on off as my fan override.[/COLOR]
7)Did you meter the battery for stator output when at idle and fan on?
Yes i did . [COLOR="RoyalBlue"]This was one of my major concerns. The jury is still out on this. BUT initial testing showed 12.8 volts sustained while the fan is on, and no further drop.[/COLOR]
8)Where is your thermo switch located? Did you make new pipe joint or tap one of the existing one's?
[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]I made my own, out of aluminum , and installed in lower radiator hose exiting the lower radiator. From my primitive testing. I have one of those laser inferred thermo guns, it comes on at around 205 degrees and shuts off at 186,[/COLOR]
9)Did you know that the fan sells for $300 and the thermo switch $90?
[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Yes I think mine was 260.00 and 60.00. How much is a piece of mind worth not overheating your $7300.00 bike,LOL[/COLOR]

OK I am done now?:confused:

Yes, I have a lot more Pictures, I am at my vacation home in the Philippines, so the Internet is really slow here, that one pic took me 30 minutes to load, when I get back to DSL land I will load more. I did this install in the Philippines, 3 hours from any type of normal stores, all I had was a chop saw, and hand tools. I use the KISS "Keep it simple stupid" theory. This is not for the majority of KLX riders, it just fits my specific needs . We went on a 40mile loop yesterday, we had 4 other riders with us, they are less fortunate not to have a ultimate ride like the klx450r. so I am always stopping and waiting for them to catch up or waiting for them to clear the trail. so I must have stopped and started the bike more than 50 times, I ran the fan only a few times, in real slow stuff and extending idling. I am happy to report no battery issues, but it was always on my mind. The bike never even got to the gurgling point let alone boil over. The fan just cycled it self when needed.
U can really do without the thermo switch, but I said ***,

• rentaldude

Posted September 29, 2007 - 06:23 PM

Posted ImagePosted Image

• KLX450R

Posted September 29, 2007 - 07:36 PM

That's awesome, the Philippines. My wife's family is from Iloilo. She is 50/50 Filipino/American.

I think that I will invest in a set of guards and mod mine out.

What brand is your radiator guards?
Where did you mount the other two brackets from the KLR fan?
:confused:
Eagerly awaiting more photos.

Thanks,
Jody

• frogman

Posted October 01, 2007 - 09:24 PM

Good job Bryan, sano set up. Is that the river you did you're header into?

• rentaldude

Posted October 04, 2007 - 07:13 PM

Dat be the one, LOL, save the bike sacrifice the body!

• frogman

Posted October 04, 2007 - 10:09 PM

Where U at Amigo? I got $50 for ya!

• rentaldude

Posted October 07, 2007 - 12:43 AM

In your front yard with my KLX450R, I hear it gets better fuel mileage than your CRF450?:confused:

• frogman

Posted October 07, 2007 - 02:09 AM

It helps to remember to fill em' up too.

Posted Image

• frogman

Posted October 07, 2007 - 02:18 AM

Here we go!

Posted Image

• frogman

Posted October 07, 2007 - 02:25 AM

Governors cut, Negros Island

Posted Image

• leepic

Posted October 08, 2007 - 12:53 PM

Governors cut, Negros Island

Posted Image

Honda pants on a Kawasaki!? Shame on you! :confused:

• rentaldude

Posted October 08, 2007 - 05:40 PM

I was waiting for someone to catch that, LOL. But my goggles are green!

• KLX450R

Posted October 09, 2007 - 03:27 PM

rentaldude are you back stateside yet? I see the latest shots from Negro's, spectacular views. Did you air freight or ship your machine there?

• rentaldude

Posted October 09, 2007 - 04:42 PM

rentaldude are you back stateside yet? I see the latest shots from Negro's, spectacular views. Did you air freight or ship your machine there?

Back in the USA now, I sent it ocean freight, cost around $300. Well the cooling fan had a true test, we did a 350 mile ride, and had a slight get off when I wasn't paying attention, and got caught in a rut, over I went on the left side, Bent the hell out of the my unabiker guards, and cracked the plastics, they did their job well. saved the Radiator, I was right to attach the fan to the radiator, so it flexes with it, the fan and radiator sustained no damage, Thanks UNABIKER! we hit some really nasty stuff, never over-heated, stopped and started to many times to count, never a battery issue.
My IMS tanks was great too , 100 miles and didn't hit reserve. One casualty was the CRUZ TOOLS fender mount tool kit, First river bed with a lot of rocks, ripped the straps right out, had to double back to pick up my $100 tool kit.
I will try promotobillets rack to put my tool kit and spare tubes on, I hope its designed to handle the nasty stuff. Also I will be ordering a REVLOC clutch for it, some of the nasty river rock laden trails we traveled would have been nice.
Posted Image
Posted Image

• KLX450R

Posted October 10, 2007 - 04:25 PM

Thanks for the rack tip, rentaldude. The wife said her Mother's family is from and well known in Negros. Their sur name is Matulac. Are you familiar with any Matulacs?

I went to Pro Moto Billet and e-mailed about the actual weight carrying capacity since it isn't listed or in the install instructions. The install .pdf cautioned about carrying too much will damage the sub frame.

I will get one of those instead of my current design if it has the carrying capacity I am interested in. They show an optional chain saw holder, so I am sure that if it will safely carry that it will carry a two gallon jug of fuel, tools and tubes.

• KLX450R

Posted October 12, 2007 - 04:46 PM

This is the reply from promoto billet on the KLX450R rack.

Hello, we recommend a maximum weight of 15lbs for the cargo racks. It is a fairly involved discussion that includes the static and dynamic loads the rack can hold. Ultimately it is up to the end user to determine what the appropriate load is for their rack depending on their terrain and riding conditions. The issue with carrying more weight will come from the sub-frame and not the rack being able to hold the load. If you need to discuss this further please feel free to give us a call and we can go over it more.

Regards,
Brandon Waters
Pro Moto Billet/Fastway Performance

I submitted our dealership for resale of their products, and ordered a rack and turn signal mounts. I will post review of the product and install with photos to give a unbiased opinion as to fit and finish as soon as it arrives.

• rentaldude

Posted October 12, 2007 - 07:21 PM

Their reply is correct, I believe leverage on the sub frame by the position of the rack relevant to the pivot point and center of gravity would put extreme pressure that far out on the fulcrum the more weight added,

Me personally, I was surprised you wanted to carry gas back there, DANGER DANGER DANGER, but I have done it in an emergency, so who am I to talk.

I will be satisfied with my tool kit and spare tubs! Not no damn chain saw!

I have their rack on my DRZ400SM but it doesn't see endless river rock whoops. but I think with a reasonable expectations, and keeping the bolts tight I will prevail!

• LUK-E-RDR

Posted October 12, 2007 - 09:20 PM

I've got their rack for my 450R. Well made, couldn't be happier. The install is easy, just a few drill holes. :crazy:

This is the reply from promoto billet on the KLX450R rack.

Hello, we recommend a maximum weight of 15lbs for the cargo racks. It is a fairly involved discussion that includes the static and dynamic loads the rack can hold. Ultimately it is up to the end user to determine what the appropriate load is for their rack depending on their terrain and riding conditions. The issue with carrying more weight will come from the sub-frame and not the rack being able to hold the load. If you need to discuss this further please feel free to give us a call and we can go over it more.

Regards,
Brandon Waters
Pro Moto Billet/Fastway Performance

I submitted our dealership for resale of their products, and ordered a rack and turn signal mounts. I will post review of the product and install with photos to give a unbiased opinion as to fit and finish as soon as it arrives.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

450 KLX intake camshaft surface by v55

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Kawasaki   KLX450R
  • 8 replies
Wiki
How to shave and step a seat - last post by mele63

How to shave and step a seat

Wiki Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Photo of my KLX - let's see yours... by PigPenKLX450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Kawasaki   KLX450R
  • Hot  471 replies
Reviews

Kawasaki KLX450R 2012 by ThumperTalk

Kawasaki KLX450R 2012
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2008 KLX450r? by drave199

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 12 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.