83' XR500 rebuild. Bike runs, won't throttle up.

2 replies to this topic
  • GordyMN

Posted September 27, 2007 - 03:10 PM

A friend of mine has so far done a good job of rebuilding the motor on my old 83'. The bike starts and runs great but kills when throttle is applied.

He says it feels like it is starving for fuel and is not flooding. He went through the carbs completely and still has the same problem. The bike ran OK before rebuild.

Could this be a timing or valve issue ? Timing chain too old/stretched maybe ?

Looking for suggestions. Thanks for the help.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cleonard

Posted September 27, 2007 - 03:27 PM

I would suspect the carb. Check for incorrect assembly.

I put my 600 together once with the cam chain off by one tooth. The engine ran, but not very well. It didn't just die when the throttle was applied.

I had this type of issue with water in the gas. A drop of water go in the main jet and this basically clogged it. It would start great, but as soon as I gassed it, the engine died. Took me a while to figure it out.

• scalejockey

Posted September 28, 2007 - 05:15 AM

the 83 is real picky on float level. Don't go by the specs on a 84 (same dual carbs different settings) if it's too rich it won't start if it's too lean it won't run . Open up the bowl drain screws to see just how much fuel is flowing,let it flow for about 10 seconds .Also look under the needle and seat when you have the bowl off .

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.