Air box seal

1 reply to this topic
  • Carl_Youngstrom

Posted March 18, 2002 - 05:42 PM

Maybe this has been covered before.
I read an article in the April Dirt Rider about sealing the airbox-airboot joint. I decided to take a look at the one on my 2001 WR. There is no sealer there. Just rubber to plastic. I feel much better adding a gasket sealer. Thought others may like to do the same.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Rich_in_Orlando

Posted March 18, 2002 - 06:00 PM

Was the Dirt Rider article referring to all bikes or just the CRs? I know they were having problems with the aibox/boot seal.

You could check the seal just like you would if checking manifold sealing: while the motor's running, spray some solvent (WD-40 would probably work) around the seal area and see if the motor did anything strange. If it does, then sealing would probably be beneficial. I read that 3M adhesive #847 would work to fix this (it's impervious to gas and oil). If spraying WD-40 around the seal doesn't do anything to the motor, you're probably wasting your time. The air boot on my bike always looks pretty clean.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.