yz cdi unit comparable to wr

10 replies to this topic
  • xr250ryder

Posted September 27, 2007 - 01:48 PM

I've searched for a while, and Still don't know the answer to this question. It's very simple. Is the wr cdi unit, with grey wire mod done the EXACT same as the yz cdi unit. If not what are the difference and will the yz cdi unit work on a wr and vice versa.

Thanks in advance.

• CORider63

Posted September 27, 2007 - 02:09 PM

I don't know the differences, but here are the Yamaha part numbers for the 2007 model year:

YZ-450F 2S2-85540-70-00

WR-450F 5JT-85540-E0-00

• xr250ryder

Posted September 28, 2007 - 05:47 AM

Yes, I noticed that the part numbers were different too (this is for a 05). I did some reading and it looks to me, that you can switch them and have yz mapping on the wr OR clip the grey wire and its the same. I'm trying to make my bike a race weapon thats the only reason why I want to know if I can use the YZ cdi unit, or if it doesn't matter.

• Thumper_Bloke

Posted September 28, 2007 - 09:09 AM

Just unplug the grey wire. The WR uses a 12v CDI, and is very different from the magneto CDI that is on the YZ.

• Chrome Speedo

Posted September 28, 2007 - 11:32 AM

I tried this. No luck.

I bought a YZ CDI on Ebay and tried to hook it up. It really only made sense to do it one way. I spent about 3 hours with the two manuals sorting things out, carefully pulling the plugs apart etc. I was putting a WR motor in a YZ frame and didn't want to weld on the bracket for the huge ugly exposed WR CDI.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Thumper_Bloke

Posted September 28, 2007 - 02:21 PM

I tried this. No luck.

I bought a YZ CDI on Ebay and tried to hook it up. It really only made sense to do it one way. I spent about 3 hours with the two manuals sorting things out, carefully pulling the plugs apart etc. I was putting a WR motor in a YZ frame and didn't want to weld on the bracket for the huge ugly exposed WR CDI.

This is because there isn't a high-voltage charging signal in the WR stator for the YZ ignition capacitor to get charged.

• xr250ryder

Posted September 29, 2007 - 08:05 AM

I read that the WR cdi is DC so its not compatible with the YZ cdi. Thanks guys.

• tmckeown

Posted September 29, 2007 - 10:38 AM

YZF has 2 coils and WR just one. So there si no fit what so ever. You have to change all ignition cabling if you change to YZF cdi

Timo McKeown

• xr250ryder

Posted September 29, 2007 - 09:09 PM

Thanks for all the help guys, I have another idea thats one step up on both the wr and yz cdi :confused:

• Thumper_Bloke

Posted September 29, 2007 - 09:38 PM

Do tell :confused:

• xr250ryder

Posted October 06, 2007 - 04:15 PM

http://www.vortex-performance.com.au/ :confused:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.