how hard to replace clutch cable?

6 replies to this topic
  • burtonvapor

Posted September 27, 2007 - 09:42 AM

I have a wr450 and my cable broke right at the lever connection. I'm new to thumpers so should I leave it up to the pro's to fix? What tools will be needed if I decide to fix it myself?

Thanks for your time!

• matt4x4

Posted September 27, 2007 - 11:10 AM

Pretty easy - slide off the cable boot and loosen off the cable tension near the clutch lever enough to slip the end of the clutch cable out from the lever (all very typical procedure), then disconnect at the clutch's push lever, route the new cable in the same places where the old came out and install in reverse order - once tensioning it up you want about 2-3 mm of play at the lever before you feel pressure.

• BEAN329

Posted September 30, 2007 - 03:53 PM

I found it easier to remove seat and gas tank. Then replace the cluth cable.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • shaunsnow14

Posted October 11, 2007 - 05:56 AM

i am replacing my cable and i cant seem to draw it tight the adjusters are all the way maxxed out and every time i pull the clutch it dosent spring back? Something internal?

• matt4x4

Posted October 11, 2007 - 07:17 AM

if you leave the cable off @ the clutch, can you activate the clutch lever and see if it'll spring back with no cable attached - this will determine if it's your cable binding or a problem at the clutch itself.

• shaunsnow14

Posted October 12, 2007 - 05:33 PM

the lever (attached to motor) wont spring back uner any circumstances. I just purchased a 450f with a rekluse clutch installed. Would that effect anything. I have been out of the moto scene for 3-4 years so this rekluse johnny looks like science fiction. I am trying to put the cable and clutch lever on to see how it behaves with the lever.

• matt4x4

Posted October 15, 2007 - 04:11 AM

Well, the cable and lever (handle bar portion) won't have any effect on pushing the lever (@ engine) back, it's a pull system only, the engine end pulls itself back using the spring at the lever (engine side) which you should be able to see (external @ lever) - is the spring broken?
The only other thing I can see it being would be the internal bearing the push lever turns in, if it's seized, it may bind enough to stop the spring from pulling it back

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.