2008 Brp

62 replies to this topic
  • hill5150

Posted October 04, 2007 - 09:30 AM

ktm's are like desert eagles-- Cool concept but not 100% there

Now that's funny shiat right thar.....:confused:

• DiabloCaballo

Posted October 04, 2007 - 11:33 AM

There was no question that something was going to happen to the 650 when the 450x came out. When Honda found that they could win the Baja 1000 with the X against a feild of modded 650's it was clear what was going to happen. The 650's sale figures don't even exist when compared to the 450's. Every bike has it's day :confused: :confused: . I personally love the 650 and hoped that if Honda had to do something it would be a 60+ horse power, 50 pound lighter, CRF650X with fuel ingection and a snowmobile type tranny...... but it aint gonna happen.:confused: Hey, the parts will always be there....not that we'll need them. :confused:

Note to Honda....:confused:

• JKL

Posted October 04, 2007 - 07:54 PM

Funny thing about the 525EXC - ever since I bought it my XR650R is sitting in the garage collecting dust.
I am not selling the pig yet:D

• Rman of 237

Posted October 05, 2007 - 01:32 AM

Complete with sad music....:confused:

Long live the BRP.

• NX800S

Posted October 05, 2007 - 06:17 AM

Awesome video!:confused:

• husky123

Posted October 05, 2007 - 08:08 AM

Funny thing about the 525EXC - ever since I bought it my XR650R is sitting in the garage collecting dust.

Maybe that's because you are not riding it.:confused:

• JKL

Posted October 07, 2007 - 02:32 PM

I am preserving it for future use ...

Posted Image

...and the 525 is so much fun!

• martinfan30

Posted October 07, 2007 - 02:49 PM

that video makes me want an R in the WORST way! very cool.

• InternalCombustion

Posted October 08, 2007 - 10:33 AM

I have no clue how many times I've watched Dust to Glory. Enough times that I was worried I'd wear it out, and bought a second copy.

I am pretty sure I've read where the 650R has raced in the Dakar Rally. Yeah, I know the Dakar is a lot different kind of race than the Baja. In '08 (January) the race is slotted to be over 3700 miles long. I cannot conceive such a thing. Seems like that race is more about just "staying alive" vs "going fast"... I would guess that any kind of serious factory support would cost a freaking fortune.

So, has an R ever finished well in the Dakar?

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted October 08, 2007 - 10:48 AM

Campbell raced the Dakar back in about '01 or so. I want to say he finished top 10, but don't recall exactly.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • InternalCombustion

Posted October 08, 2007 - 11:02 AM

Campbell raced the Dakar back in about '01 or so. I want to say he finished top 10, but don't recall exactly.

Holy cow. When I get some time I'm going to do a little digging and see what I can find. That had to be one gruelling-nasty ride.

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted October 08, 2007 - 12:53 PM

Holy cow. When I get some time I'm going to do a little digging and see what I can find. That had to be one gruelling-nasty ride.

I don't recall the team he raced for, but remember that he had an Acerbis 6 gallon tank and the additional 3.7 gallon underseat tank. Both had just come on the market at the time for the 650R.

Oh heck, just found something. This is from the 1X site. He was 8th as a rookie. http://www.1xinterna...ml/results.html

• InternalCombustion

Posted October 08, 2007 - 01:50 PM

I don't recall the team he raced for, but remember that he had an Acerbis 6 gallon tank and the additional 3.7 gallon underseat tank. Both had just come on the market at the time for the 650R.

Oh heck, just found something. This is from the 1X site. He was 8th as a rookie. http://www.1xinterna...ml/results.html

Says he entered the Dakar as a privateer. Geez! That had to take some cajones. :confused: :confused:

I wonder how many XR650R's Johnny C is directly responsible for Honda selling. At least one, I know of. Mine. Probably 50-75% of all their R sales were at least in part due to guys watching him dance one accross the desert... at Mach 2.:applause:

The heck of it is, though I've never met him, he seems like just another moto-head. No ego or attitude comes out in the DTG dvd, other than wanting to conquer another strip of desert.:confused: :confused: :confused:

• BWB63

Posted October 08, 2007 - 04:05 PM

That was nice to have the bikes part all condenced into one video!:confused:

Complete with sad music....:confused:

Long live the BRP.

We were down pre-running the 2004 Baja 250 out of SanFelipi and run into JC just getting ready to run some of the course. My Teen kidz were with me and he was the best anyone could ever be. TURNED OFF HIS BIKE and got off, talked to all the kids, signed all kinds of stuff, actualy listened to each one as they asked question and gave the best answer he could (Some questions just don't make sense, kids are stoked that they are talking to "The Man" and things just don't come out right). It was worth $100 to me for the ten minutes that he spent with my kids. He is the best!
My youngest still has his poster with his signature on it, hanging on his wall.

Yes, it always brings a smile when they show #1 cutting the course and running the beach.:confused:

• sizesuper

Posted October 08, 2007 - 06:35 PM

Dakar photos I found. Not my site so don't know how to link the jpg.

http://www.flickr.co...3@N00/138500833

shows the under seat tank.
http://www.flickr.co...57594121809704/

• InternalCombustion

Posted October 08, 2007 - 06:53 PM

We were down pre-running the 2004 Baja 250 out of SanFelipi and run into JC just getting ready to run some of the course. My Teen kidz were with me and he was the best anyone could ever be. TURNED OFF HIS BIKE and got off, talked to all the kids, signed all kinds of stuff, actualy listened to each one as they asked question and gave the best answer he could (Some questions just don't make sense, kids are stoked that they are talking to "The Man" and things just don't come out right). It was worth $100 to me for the ten minutes that he spent with my kids. He is the best!

I agree that was a nice touch, him getting off his bike to talk to your kids.

That's the impression I have of him. He did a video-clip promo on the DTG website, before the DVD was finished. He was talking about the features of his 650R. He seemed like the most contented guy in the world, just standing there talking about something he's probably explained a zillion times.

I'm sure he has his competitive side, else he would not have the record he's amassed. But its nice to hear that world-class competitors can still be "nice", vs what seems to be the endless stream of spoiled/drugged/jailed/divorced celebs we have to hear about every day on the 6 oclock news.

• martinfan30

Posted October 08, 2007 - 07:11 PM

That was nice to have the bikes part all condenced into one video!:confused:

Yes, it always brings a smile when they show #1 cutting the course and running the beach.:confused:

eventually this is what our sport boils down to.. the guys we watch and adore spending they're time to get/keep the young'uns interested. very cool, i now have a new fav. rider!

• DLS524

Posted October 09, 2007 - 09:53 AM

ok I read alot on TT in order to stay up on the new machines and to find interesting and creative ways to mod my bikes. As far as this topic goes, I own both a 2003 XR650L and a 2006 CRF450R. The purpose of the bikes determine there effectivness. I ride MX and the 450 is superior in turning and power when jumping and racing. the L is my commuter and other than hard rains or needing my truck to haul my 450 I always ride my L. I would not give up either and what everyone needs to realize is that each bike has a purpose and a demographic that prefers it. I am sure the XR650R is a great machine for its purpose and am sad to see any well built machine stop being produced. As far as the "age" of a design or motor, I baught my L just because it is a reliable and proven machine. I am confident enough to take it accross the country and know I can trail ride it and still get home. to each their on but I say its all in what you want to do with your machine.

• martinfan30

Posted October 09, 2007 - 09:59 AM

exactly, and for me its the L.

• jesusgatos

Posted October 11, 2007 - 09:38 PM

Scott Summers is the same kind of character. Honda seems to put a lot of stock in their riders character. Makes sense, since they're basically ambassadors for the brand.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.