2008 Brp

62 replies to this topic
  • hill5150

Posted September 26, 2007 - 05:30 PM

Spoke to my Semi-trusty:confused: HONDA dealer here in OC, he had no information regarding the aforementined,rumored,wish we had one,maybe it's coming, 2008 XR Big Bore or the Current 650.
He did try to sell me on a 450, told him I could break it in an hour:thumbsup: , and no thanks....................

• rkwfxd1

Posted September 26, 2007 - 07:29 PM

Unfortunately I believe he had no info because there is no bike to have info on.

• kevin204

Posted September 26, 2007 - 07:31 PM

Wow.... no XRR's anymore? What a bummer... at least the L is still around.

• martinfan30

Posted September 26, 2007 - 08:21 PM

ya the L has outlasted the R(watch for a flame fest!). must be a reason!

• scalejockey

Posted September 27, 2007 - 04:47 AM

Don't know how much a new"L" is but the "R" is alot of $ for 7 year old design.I think it was 6900.00! then to make it race worthy you can dump anther 2000.00 into it and it's still 100 lbs. heavier than a 450.the only diff. is that it WILL last. But nobody seems to care.. Myself, I will find another used 650R and build it before I ever bye one of those 450's ...

• zrxer

Posted September 27, 2007 - 05:29 AM

ya the L has outlasted the R(watch for a flame fest!). must be a reason!

Yeah there's a reason. The tooling for this bike was paid for years ago. There's people who still like the simplicity of an air cooled engine and don't care if it is heavy and underpowered. Also, it's the only big bore dual sport that Honda produces so hard core Honda guys will buy it simply because it says "Honda" on the tank.

• Phuzzy McPhuzzface

Posted September 27, 2007 - 05:32 AM

Myself, I will find another used 650R and build it before I ever bye one of those 450's ...

650R & 450R/X are two different animals. Kind of like a flat-blade vs a Phillips screwdriver. Similar, but different, and one isn't a replacement for the other.

650R is already tooled for; Honda should just keep cranking them out. The demand is still there.

Personally, I'd like to see Honda make the 650R and 450X with a easily installable/removeable DOT kit.

• zrxer

Posted September 27, 2007 - 05:39 AM

Don't know how much a new"L" is but the "R" is alot of $ for 7 year old design.I think it was 6900.00! then to make it race worthy you can dump anther 2000.00 into it and it's still 100 lbs. heavier than a 450.the only diff. is that it WILL last. But nobody seems to care.. Myself, I will find another used 650R and build it before I ever bye one of those 450's ...

My local Honda shop wants close to $7000 for a new L model. I'd say that's WAY too much for a 25 year old engine design. 7 years isn't very old for a bike design. Look at Yamahas YZ450F. That engine design is coming up on 10 years dating back to the 400. That's a butt load in motocross years.

I'm certainly with ya on not buying a 450.

• martinfan30

Posted September 27, 2007 - 06:56 AM

average for a new L is 5400-5500. around here.

• Frank ZX

Posted September 27, 2007 - 02:43 PM

I can't speak for a R,but the L is a bullet proof design.I guess Honda knows that it a good bike cause people still buy them.I hold the throttle pinned sometimes on the freeway hoping it will break so I can get a hi comp piston.LOL It keeps going and going.If Honda does come out with another BRP,I just hope it's as relilable as a L.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • resslera

Posted September 27, 2007 - 04:29 PM

If you think about it, why would they keep the R? The 450 market is in and they got a 450 to win Baja. The 650R is stuck in a no mans land. They already have a street legal thumper so why invest on changing that?

Yes, we would like them to keep it because we are addicted to the power, simplicity, and ease of maintenance. The same can be said for the 2-stroke 500. It's gone. Maybe Service Honda will keep the BRP alive by building them like they do the 500? Hmmmmmmmmmmm?

• Powderhoe

Posted September 27, 2007 - 06:54 PM

Fmx 650 08????

• martinfan30

Posted September 27, 2007 - 10:23 PM

Yeah there's a reason. The tooling for this bike was paid for years ago. There's people who still like the simplicity of an air cooled engine and don't care if it is heavy and underpowered. Also, it's the only big bore dual sport that Honda produces so hard core Honda guys will buy it simply because it says "Honda" on the tank.

well shouldnt the tooling be almost paid for now(for the R)? if so, they should be selling them for another 10 yrs. if the machines arent paid for, why not sell the R for another 3-4 yrs, call it good on the tooling and keep putting out a rock solid street legal unit?

• porterdog

Posted September 28, 2007 - 03:29 AM

I hold the throttle pinned sometimes on the freeway hoping it will break so I can get a hi comp piston.

I don't care who you are, that right there is funny.

• zrxer

Posted September 28, 2007 - 04:00 AM

well shouldnt the tooling be almost paid for now(for the R)? if so, they should be selling them for another 10 yrs. if the machines arent paid for, why not sell the R for another 3-4 yrs, call it good on the tooling and keep putting out a rock solid street legal unit?

Well Martinfan, I guess they're just not selling. It's an excellent designed bike but unfortunately it's not street legal and it doesn't have electric start. Those are two things I think todays big bore thumper buyer wants.

In my previous posts it might have sounded like I was slagging the 650L. That was not my intention. It's just in uncorked form the L doesn't make a whole lot of power. You have to do some internal engine mods to really make it breath fire. It can be done but it just takes a lot more work and then the reliability comes in to question. With the 650R, just uncorking and you're at around 50 horsepower and it's still reliable as the sunrise.

• VBS-Thumpstar

Posted September 28, 2007 - 05:03 AM

Wow.... no XRR's anymore? What a bummer... at least the L is still around.

Not making fun of you, just thought of something that made me laugh.

"Wow...no Camaro anymore, at least the Cavalier is still around!" :thumbsup:

Sean :thumbsup:

Disclaimer: I don't even like Camaros or Cavaliers, I drive a BMW. :thumbsup:

• Suikerland

Posted September 28, 2007 - 01:30 PM

i've said this so many times that I sound like a stuck record, but I just can't make sense of Honda's USA marketing.

The 650R is sold in Europe, Australia, South Africa, etc... uncorked, with blinkers, full electrics, brighter headlight, plated, and street legal.
I bought one like that, and right now they are standing in the showroom. $6,000, ready to roll.

Can anybody figure out why the US gets a version that you can't take on the streets without first spending a load of money, when Honda is already producing a fully street legal version all over the world????
Was Honda marketing dept asleep at the wheel or something?

• loy

Posted September 28, 2007 - 02:38 PM

No no! In Sweden you can't buy the Xr650r new anymore. I think the last model that was sold in sweden was -03 or -04.

• Nummie

Posted September 28, 2007 - 02:57 PM

The Honda North American marketing department needs a kick right in the crotch !
:confused:

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted September 28, 2007 - 03:52 PM

Can anybody figure out why the US gets a version that you can't take on the streets without first spending a load of money, when Honda is already producing a fully street legal version all over the world????
Was Honda marketing dept asleep at the wheel or something?

It's because the emissions requirements in the U.S. must be tighter than overseas. Still, Honda could sell this bike in it's clean, restricted, pathetic way that it is normally sold here and it would not have a problem as a street legal bike. We of course would have to work the usual magic to make it run right (as yours probably comes!) and Honda would sell a boatload of them. It is very cheap to get them to run properly and a more , high performance, more durable engine has probably never been sold. I would venture to guess that if Honda did it right, we'd probably see the end of the DRZ400S and DR650 as far as sales go. Husky's 610 would be the only direct competitor.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.