XR650L oil tube restriction?

5 replies to this topic
  • wheelnut46

Posted September 26, 2007 - 04:24 PM

Anyone ever give any thought to how thin that little chrome tube is that goes from the oil filter housing up to the head? I often wonder if it is too restrictive, especially for heavier oils.

• Nummie

Posted September 26, 2007 - 05:55 PM

I've often wondered that too, but then I also thought that the Honda engineers probably thought about it as well and decided on that size for a reason. Generally, they make darn good engines, but nobody is perfect. Just what kind of oil flow is necessary to properly lube the head I wonder ? Maybe the oil pump needs that size tube to develop some back pressure or something ?

• cleonard

Posted September 27, 2007 - 09:33 AM

It is a common mod to drill out the center of the bolts to allow for a little more oil. I have also seen complete replacements for the oil tube using larger hoses.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • crmc33

Posted September 28, 2007 - 03:23 AM

The oil tube should flow enough to maintain the oil flow thruough the cam (the cam just rleies on oil flow rather that any sort of high pressure).
Tho Ive fitted a braided HEL hose on my engine for extra reassurance!!

• scalejockey

Posted September 28, 2007 - 04:48 AM

The pump and flow system are matched. If you mess with the flow in one area the other area(s) will have less flow or presure unless the pump is increased in size or so the "factory" says..,but then again i'm sure the pumps are designed for future wear of the motor and can handle some mods but nothing too extream. Like on the older gsxr susuki's they were oil cooled with jets of oil hitting the bottom of the pistons if ya messed with cam flow you were asking for trouble.

• martinfan30

Posted September 28, 2007 - 06:52 AM

The pump and flow system are matched. If you mess with the flow in one area the other area(s) will have less flow or presure unless the pump is increased in size or so the "factory" says..,but then again i'm sure the pumps are designed for future wear of the motor and can handle some mods but nothing too extream. Like on the older gsxr susuki's they were oil cooled with jets of oil hitting the bottom of the pistons if ya messed with cam flow you were asking for trouble.

i agree. i dont think i'll be doing any lubrication sys. mods except for an oil cooler.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.