Removing Engine Case Paint

12 replies to this topic
  • almostinvincible119

Posted September 26, 2007 - 07:14 AM

I remember reading on here a while back that there was some chemical that took the paint off the clutch and ignition covers. I think grayracer said what it was. I can't remember the name, maybe it was just good old paint thinner. Ive searched this a few times and came up with nothing.

I was also wondering if I could just sandblast the side covers. Would this be ok for the magnesium?

• grayracer513

Posted September 26, 2007 - 09:33 AM

Paint stripper. Check the label to be sure there are no cautions about corrosiveness versus magnesium (shouldn't be), and use it with the parts off the bike.

Sand blasting is OK as long as all the normal precautions are followed, but it depends on what you want to do with the part once you get the paint off. If you're planning to polish them, use paint stripper, as the finish with sandblasting will take longer to sand smooth.

• almostinvincible119

Posted September 26, 2007 - 02:35 PM

thanks a ton. i dont plan on polishing them, i want the ram mag finish. so i'll probably just blast them.

• swaldrop

Posted September 26, 2007 - 07:14 PM

I see you're in Florida as well. Any idea where I could take mine to get blasted? I am in the Tampa/Brandon area.

• almostinvincible119

Posted September 27, 2007 - 02:32 AM

im not to sure about that. im near panama city. my workplace has a sandblaster, so i can use it

• swaldrop

Posted September 27, 2007 - 04:55 AM

Thanks anyway. I'll just have to do some calling around.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Mutu

Posted September 27, 2007 - 06:23 AM

Ask about soda blasting.
You can blast the paint of a full beer can, it is that gentle.

• swaldrop

Posted September 27, 2007 - 06:32 AM

About removing the ignition cover... Do I have to re-seal the wire harness that comes out of the top of the cover? If so, what do I use to do so?

• Mutu

Posted September 27, 2007 - 06:37 AM

I can't remember if the wires were actually sealed in there? I don't think so anyway.

You could try some silicone.

• Mutu

Posted September 27, 2007 - 07:05 AM

The wires in my WR's are in a rubber bung. Shouldn't need sealant.

• swaldrop

Posted September 27, 2007 - 07:12 AM

My YZ450 actually has some gray silicone sealant in addition to the rubber boot. I was just curious if this was just an added measure from the factory and if it was crucial or not. Also, if there was a specific type of sealant to use (high temp, etc...)

• grayracer513

Posted September 27, 2007 - 07:16 AM

You could try some silicone.

Good way to cause a leak RTV sealant works poorly on most flexible gaskets or grommets.

Just be sure it's clean, and you should have no problem. Try not to slide the sealing grommet on the cable housing, as that joint is sealed. If a sealer becomes necessary for some reason, a light film of a "GaskaCinch" type sealer, trim adhesive, or contact cement will work.

The gray YamaBond sealer is different than typical RTV silicon, and is a much better choice. Like most factory branded chemicals, though, it costs more than it should.

• swaldrop

Posted September 27, 2007 - 07:19 AM

That was the answer I was looking for. Thanks

Related Content

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.