Continuous chain

13 replies to this topic
  • spotsboss

Posted September 26, 2007 - 06:42 AM

Time to replace the chain on my 650R. I want to stay with the continuous chain system (no master link, have to take swingarm off to install), but am having trouble finding a supplier. Would like the DID 520 VM.

Anybody know where to shop for this?

Thanks!

• Juxxtin

Posted September 26, 2007 - 06:48 AM

Time to replace the chain on my 650R. I want to stay with the continuous chain system (no master link, have to take swingarm off to install), but am having trouble finding a supplier. Would like the DID 520 VM.

Anybody know where to shop for this?

Thanks!

http://www.whitebuff...pexd.asp?id=191

• Denn10

Posted September 26, 2007 - 07:44 AM

Why so intent on staying with a fixed chain and no master link?

• martinfan30

Posted September 26, 2007 - 08:00 AM

safety???

• Denn10

Posted September 26, 2007 - 09:24 AM

20 years of MX racing and never a chain break or clip come off master thats enough proven reliability for me. But to each his own.

• spotsboss

Posted September 26, 2007 - 10:48 AM

20 years of MX racing and never a chain break or clip come off master thats enough proven reliability for me. But to each his own.

It's just that a clipped master link CAN come off and I don't want that in my head. Hey - - they are DESIGNED to come off.

:thumbsup:

• Motosprtman

Posted September 26, 2007 - 10:54 AM

with the help of a tool ... yes.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Agent2

Posted September 26, 2007 - 11:01 AM

And the clip / rivet link debate continues... Actually I an interested in this because it's almost time for new sprockets and chain and I would like to use a clipped link. I have heard that some guys siliconing the clip on as well to lessen the chances of it flying off, but am interested on opinions on which link to use.

• cleonard

Posted September 26, 2007 - 11:27 AM

And the clip / rivet link debate continues... Actually I an interested in this because it's almost time for new sprockets and chain and I would like to use a clipped link. I have heard that some guys siliconing the clip on as well to lessen the chances of it flying off, but am interested on opinions on which link to use.

There are really three kinds.

First is the clip style that many are familiar with. The side plate slips on easily and the clip is the only thing holding it together. In my experience this type is only found on non-ringed standard chains. If the clip comes off the chain usually falls off in short order.

The second type is a interference fit on the side plate. This is what I am used to on ring type chains. It takes a lot of force to get the side plate on the master link. This type also has a clip. Once I went to replace my chain and the clip was long gone. The interference fit held the master link together. I don't know how long the clip was missing, but from what the crud on the chain looked like it must have been many rides.

The third type is the true riveted chain. This requires a special tool for installation. If installed correctly it should be the most robust.

I'll stay with the second type, unless I get a great deal on the rivet type.

I don't think that silicone glue is going to help at all, but I doubt that it will hurt.

• bigtooth

Posted September 26, 2007 - 11:36 AM

I have lost a clip and chain before. Now when I put a new master link on I pean the end of the studs before I put the clip on. Have never had a problem since. But you do have to grind the end of the studs when you go to take it off.

• Agent2

Posted September 26, 2007 - 12:00 PM

How about this product from RK. Anyone ever use one? http://www.moto-chai...ct/mstr - screw

• Denn10

Posted September 26, 2007 - 12:07 PM

with a clip you need to put in on one way only, the open end of the clip needs to be facing so that when it goes through the chain guide its to the left as you look at it so it cant get caught while spinning. I think thats why people have had them come off alot prolly just throw it on and dont clock it right. Get what you want and are happy with NOTHING wrong with that for sure.

• crmc33

Posted September 28, 2007 - 03:27 AM

I silicone and lock wire the clip and it seems to work. The only time Ive lost a chain is when I didnt do it! :thumbsup:

• scalejockey

Posted September 28, 2007 - 04:57 AM

in 30 years iv'e seen maybe 3 clips (almost)come off because they were paper thin from wear and bent when put on.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.