2 Stroke or 4 Stroke

1 reply to this topic
  • MitchPeters

Posted March 18, 2002 - 10:44 PM

2 Stroke or 4 Stroke
Is it Worth The Weight

Since Yamaha came out with the YZ400 in 1998, more and more people have been turning over to four-strokes. Now almost every manufacturer is making or soon will make a race ready four-stroke. There are several major questions to ask. Maybe these comments will help you decide which is best for you.

1. Rumor has it that two-strokes will soon be illegal.

Fact: You always have the grandfather clause to fall back on.
Fact: It is still doubtful that they will be banned from private property.
(Example: MX and Hare scrambles and Enduros – not run on state or government land)
Fact: Two-strokes include: chainsaws, mowers, snowmobiles, jet skis and lawn equipment. It will take longer than the year 2006 to change over of all of these things.
Fact: Two-strokes are much cheaper for manufacturers to make. There are no cams, valves, etc.
Fact: 6 years ago we had the same threat (banning two-strokes) and I feel it would be foolish to switch for this reason.
(Ex: Don’t count your chickens before they’re hatched)

2. Pluses and minuses of handling and power.

Fact: Nothing starts as quick and as easy as a two-stroke – period, exclamation point.
Fact: Nothing hooks-up better than a four-stroke.
Fact: As far as rough terrain (rocks, roots, sharp bumps) a four-stroke rules (easily soaks up small hits).

Fact: It’s harder to do air tricks on a four-stroke (gyroscopic effect).
Fact: For real muddy races, the edge goes to the lighter bike with quick power
and agility, the two-stroke.
Fact: Reliability is close between the two. However, you have more maintenance with a two-stroke. (Ex: Pistons, rings, rods, cylinder plating)
Fact: Acceleration (hole shot) goes to the four-stroke.
(Ex: John Dowd) And remember, just because a person can’t start a bike doesn’t mean the bike does not have the potential (refer to fact 2))
Fact: Cornering – In a perfect world with a perfect rider, a four-stroke is faster through corners. But, I don’t know of any perfect riders. Do you?
Fact: As far as braking goes, a two-stroke wins.
Simple Math: Less mass equals less force to stop.
Fact: Weight – Okay, listen and listen good. If you are worried about 10 to 20 pounds, you are wasting good brain cells. If you are buying weight saving products, you’re wasting your money. I know the magazines rant and rave about weight. Here’s one example – no, make that several: Scott Summers – 600; Tommy Norton – 125; Shane Wats has won on a 125, 200, 250, 380, 400, and 520 and no, he is not a miracle child, he just realizes that it’s not the bike so much as the rider. If we were really worried about weight, we’d loose 10-20 lbs. of the highest sprung weight by diet or exercise.

All joking aside, you could compare the two all day long and not get anywhere. Both are race-winning bikes with a winner racing them. If you adapt easily and are willing to learn, a four-stroke can make it easier for some people. If you are in a rush or points chasing, it might have a negative effect to change without the proper time to adapt.

By the way, I now ride a four-stroke. I love it. But, it took me a good year to fully adapt. Do you have a year? You might not. And that is the real reason for this paper. I am writing these articles to share the good news (gospel). Through the Lord’s grace, I have been able to go to some races this year, which is something; I have always taken for granted. But the fact is that we don’t know when it will be our last race. Everything we do, we take for granted. We should only take for granted that Christ died for us. Every race, every day, every hour, every minute is through God’s grace. We should be grateful for every opportunity we have to be a good steward of the gifts that God has given us in this short time that we have. No matter how small or how great the gift. I know that most do not have the time to worry about God. That’s okay, because through His grace, I have the time to share my hope.

FOOD FOR THOUGHT

Come on now, you who say “today or tomorrow we will go to such and
such a city, spend a year there, buy and sell, and make a profit”. Whereas
you do not know what will happen tomorrow. For what is your life? Is it a
vapor that appears for a little time and then vanishes away? Instead, you
should say, “If the Lord wills, we shall live and do this or that”.
James 4:13-17

You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden.
Nor do they light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a lamp stand, and
It gives light to all who are in the house. Let your light shine so before men.
Matthew 5:13-16

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • lewichris

Posted March 18, 2002 - 12:15 PM

i enjoyed your opinions. Buy a four stroke. @-smoke's will be illegal soon. Hell we could all be riding e-bikes soon enough.

"yea my bike is pumping out 2300 AH at 4,000W oh yea mine is putting out 2356 AH at 3,800W Well mine will go 40 mph. Ha mine goes 45. Ya know, who knows.

Disclaimer
the above statement is to be taken lightly. i have no idea how many batteries it would take to put out 2300 Amp Hours. Just figures of speech for thumpertalk's entertainment.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.