SDG Tall Seat Ride Report

17 replies to this topic
  • twenty34

Posted September 25, 2007 - 02:49 PM

So after hearing so many positive comments, I ordered a tall seat for my 06 YZ 450.

Pros:

-easier to go from the seated to standing position (nice benefit)
-sensation of being up higher on the bike (hard to describe, but you feel like you have a better view of everything)
-easy to install

Cons:

-don't really feel any significant difference in helping the bike turn
-seat foam is a bit soft compared to stock (you sink in it a bit)
-color scheme doesn't match stock seat (black only)

I purchased this seat with the goal of helping the bike turn by allowing me to get up farther on the front of the seat. Sure, I guess it helps a bit in this area, but it's marginal, IMO. In fact, I find that by keeping a more neutral position on my bike and having my upper body over the bars in an aggressive position provides far better results. Again, this is just my take, but I was hoping to have experienced the same positive results as everyone else, but I ended up going back to stock.

I brought both seats to the track to swamp them for a real comparison and it looks like I'll be keeping the stocker on now.

I will say however that I can find this seat being preferred for off road riding or desert long distance riding. I believe this would be a good niche for it. For the track, I still prefer the harder stock seat.

This is my unbiased take on this experiment.:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted September 25, 2007 - 02:59 PM

The benefit to turning is said to be only in the fact that the seat is flatter at the front than the stocker, making it easier to move forward in a turn. If you don't move forward, there's no benefit.

• twenty34

Posted September 25, 2007 - 03:05 PM

The benefit to turning is said to be only in the fact that the seat is flatter at the front than the stocker, making it easier to move forward in a turn. If you don't move forward, there's no benefit.

Understood...This is why it was purchased. I can move forward without much of a problem on my stock seat. It may be a little easier, I'll give it that, but try
sitting too far forward at Cahuilla coming out of those loose turns and you'll get little traction to accelerate. You need to shift you weight back to get any decent drive. For hard pack, this would probably be more applicable.

• Huckster

Posted September 26, 2007 - 02:27 AM

I also bought a tall seat and am honestly not impressed. Sure its easier to move forward on and also easier to grip the bike with my knees, but I dont think the bike corners any better because of it. I still get that push and the bike still wants to stand up even though I am more forward.

Not to mention, its my 4th SDG seat, and everyone of them has not fit well. I have had to bend the seat tabs and use a hammer on all of them. They are a great deal, but they need to work on the fit a bit more IMHO.

• Ga426owner

Posted September 26, 2007 - 06:57 AM

Understood...This is why it was purchased. I can move forward without much of a problem on my stock seat. It may be a little easier, I'll give it that, but try
sitting too far forward at Cahuilla coming out of those loose turns and you'll get little traction to accelerate. You need to shift you weight back to get any decent drive. For hard pack, this would probably be more applicable.

The flatter seat makes it a heck of a lot easier to transition your weight front to back or back to front. The Stock seat has a deeper pocket making this more difficult, therefore taking more effort. I can get farther forward quicker approaching a turn to entrance apex and move my @$$ back quicker at the exit apex...getting weight to rear wheel with my SDG

The fit of the SDG seat is not as good as a stocker, when new but after a few rides it fits my bike like a glove.

To each his own....it works for me and helps my bike corner better...:thumbsup:

Sounds like anyone wanting to buy a couple of SDG seats should pm Rick and Huckster.....

• adamdf

Posted September 26, 2007 - 07:23 AM

To each his own....it works for me and helps my bike corner better...:thumbsup:

Sounds like anyone wanting to buy a couple of SDG seats should pm Rick and Huckster.....

I think what should be said is that it helps YOU corner better by allowing you to move forward and not that it helps the "bike" corner better. There is a difference here and as we can see, for some people of less experience, the way it is worded can be misleading.

• Huckster

Posted September 26, 2007 - 07:29 AM

Less experienced? How do you come about with that conclusion?

• adamdf

Posted September 26, 2007 - 07:41 AM

Less experienced? How do you come about with that conclusion?

What i'm saying is that some people may think that the seat helps the bike to corner better without any further input from the rider. When really the only purpose for the seat is to allow you to move forward easier, sounds dumb but you would be surprised. I say, if you can get forward on the seat fine without the tall seat, then forget it.

• Ga426owner

Posted September 26, 2007 - 07:42 AM

I think what should be said is that it helps YOU corner better by allowing you to move forward and not that it helps the "bike" corner better. There is a difference here and as we can see, for some people of less experience, the way it is worded can be misleading.

I believe that is exactly what I said..."it works for me" but thanks for clarifying....my bike can not possibly corner better by itself....:thumbsup:

I guess us heavier people need all the help we can get.....the taller seat definitely helps....

Experience or lack of....was never implied.... sorry Huckster....:thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Huckster

Posted September 26, 2007 - 08:05 AM

no, no worries. I just was curious as to what was meant by that. Plus I agree with you, it does make it easier to get forward, but I was able to get forward with the stock seat as well, albeit with a bit more effort. I just dont think that that was the problem for me. It still doesnt eleviate the "push" and I guess I am at fault for thinking that a taller seat might help that. I will run it anyway, because I like how its easier for me to grip the bike. I am 6'1" 215lbs so like you said, any bit of help is appreciated.

• Ga426owner

Posted September 26, 2007 - 08:26 AM

no, no worries. I just was curious as to what was meant by that. Plus I agree with you, it does make it easier to get forward, but I was able to get forward with the stock seat as well, albeit with a bit more effort. I just dont think that that was the problem for me. It still doesnt eleviate the "push" and I guess I am at fault for thinking that a taller seat might help that. I will run it anyway, because I like how its easier for me to grip the bike. I am 6'1" 215lbs so like you said, any bit of help is appreciated.

I found the SDG helped a bit but the combo of 24mm clamps and the seat helped a ton...but at a higher cost..

• Huckster

Posted September 26, 2007 - 08:44 AM

yea right now I am trying to figure out if I want to go that route. Its bascially a decision whether to keep the 07 or buy an 08. If I keep the 07 I will get 24mm clamps.

After listening to Mike Lapaglia on Vital and talking to Dubach, I am leaning towards going to an 08. Anyone want a 07 with less than 30hrs on it....:thumbsup:

• Ga426owner

Posted September 26, 2007 - 11:56 AM

yea right now I am trying to figure out if I want to go that route. Its bascially a decision whether to keep the 07 or buy an 08. If I keep the 07 I will get 24mm clamps.

After listening to Mike Lapaglia on Vital and talking to Dubach, I am leaning towards going to an 08. Anyone want a 07 with less than 30hrs on it....:thumbsup:

that should be a easy sale....

whats the scoop from Lapaglia and Dubach on the 08?
Do tell.........

• Huckster

Posted September 26, 2007 - 12:51 PM

go to vitalmx.com. there is a Lapaglia video/interview. he says the 08 is def a better bike. dubach told me much the same. he said there is a big difference in the turning of the 08 v 07, but he said he wasnt happy with the motor on the 08 and was working on a pipe to liven it up. This was about 2 months ago when I spoke to him.

I am thinking $4k for my bike. I plan on racing it 2-3 more times and would like to sell it quick....I am going to take all the extra's off and put it back to stock. I would imagine everything will fit the 08, top RG3 clamp, plastic, pegs, powerbomb header etc...

• matts06yzf

Posted September 26, 2007 - 06:45 PM

go to vitalmx.com. there is a Lapaglia video/interview. he says the 08 is def a better bike. dubach told me much the same. he said there is a big difference in the turning of the 08 v 07, but he said he wasnt happy with the motor on the 08 and was working on a pipe to liven it up. This was about 2 months ago when I spoke to him.

I am thinking $4k for my bike. I plan on racing it 2-3 more times and would like to sell it quick....I am going to take all the extra's off and put it back to stock. I would imagine everything will fit the 08, top RG3 clamp, plastic, pegs, powerbomb header etc...

I talked to the DR as well and said loves 08 and is working on a pipe just for it but damn I am really happy with 06 Dr D on the 08. Its perfect for me. But if he comes out with one guess what ill have to buy it, probably whu you will see it out soon because of people like me:foul:

• TMAC25

Posted September 29, 2007 - 12:00 AM

The fact that it changes the center of gravity and position of weight on the bike makes far more of a difference then allowing you to move farther forward. sitting two inches higher changes the entire ergonomics of the bike. I have one, thinks it is OK, probably worth the money if you are as tall as I.

• Dolce_Grappa

Posted September 29, 2007 - 07:23 AM

Has anyone tried the SDG step-seat Vs. the tall seat?

• The Italian Stallion

Posted September 30, 2007 - 10:12 AM

I love the tall seat.for me it is night and day better than the stocker at 6'2 200lbs. The seat makes it easier to turn and just the general riding position is way better for me.I really notice the differance when doing 180 turns at the top of uphills... gets you to the front fast before ripping back down.Why should you have to "try'" to move forward this sport is hard enough already lol. Oh and it is way better for hardpacked speedway stile flat turns.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.