Change the '06 pilot without moving the carb

7 replies to this topic
  • grayracer513

Posted September 25, 2007 - 01:28 PM

It can be done, it turns out. You'll need a couple of specialized tools, but they don't need to be expensive. (edit: Motion Pro makes a $12 shorty screwdriver just for this that works OK: http://www.thumperta...687#post5325687 ) The first thing is a screwdriver with a bit wide enough at the point to get full contact with the jet, narrow enough to reach into the recess the pilot jet lives in, long enough to reach it, and short enough overall to fit between the carb and the engine. I went looking at a used tool store for something to modify into such a screwdriver, and I brought home a couple of likely suspects. When all was said and done, what I had was this:

Posted Image

The normal diamond shape blade was shortened slightly to a length of 32mm, and I ground the sides away so that it was 5mm wide over the entire length. The handle was cut down to 35mm. This setup fits up into the pilot jet well and the handle can be turned with a pair of pliers if needed to crack the jet loose. It will just completely unscrew the pilot before it runs into the raised boss on the cases under the carb.

Getting the jet back in place is a challenge, normally. What would be truly handy would be a screwdriver with a pin in the center to hold the jet in place while you fished it into the 1/4" hole up inside the 3/4" hole in the bottom of the carb. Here's a cheap solution:

Posted Image

Yep, it's a paper clip, alright. Open it up into a T handle, and bend a little U into the straight part. The jet then sits on it so:

Posted Image

The bend in the wire fits the slot in the jet, and not only keeps it from sliding down the wire, it will let you thread it into the carb a couple of turns so it will stay there until you reach it with the screwdriver.

Posted Image

Believe me, this is well worth the effort compared to the whole ordeal of even rotating the carb on an '06 or later (which is by no means as simple as it sounds).

:thumbsup:

• 06crf_er

Posted September 25, 2007 - 01:42 PM

You're a genius.:thumbsup:

Great write up.

• Ga426owner

Posted September 26, 2007 - 07:04 AM

nice work Grey.......anything to make jetting easier is appreciated......now to go hack up a screwdriver ....... :thumbsup:

• matts06yzf

Posted September 26, 2007 - 07:34 AM

THanks Gray, but I never have a issue a few beers and Im done

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Mutley53

Posted September 26, 2007 - 08:45 AM

Motion Pro also makes an FCR carb tool that makes it unnecessary to rotate the carb. I have changed the jetting several times on my '07 without ever moving the carb. I do like the idea of using a paper clip to start the pilot jet as that is always a bugger to do.

http://www.motionpro...s/fcr_carb_tool

• grayracer513

Posted September 26, 2007 - 09:41 AM

Actually, for $13, that's pretty good. If I'd known they had that, I might not have searched for the screwdriver so hard. Then again, I spent $4 on 3 used screwdrivers to do this, and I had the rest of the stuff they show already.

• William1

Posted May 31, 2011 - 02:33 PM

I like the paper clip idea. I have also seen people use a small bit of vinyl tubing. I usually just stick it up there a little crooked, it often hangs there and then I carefully get my driver under it and slip it up. Admittedly, it fails half the time. I'll have to make a 'paperclip special tool'. As far as the removal and tightening go, I use the Motion Pro 90 degree tool.

• brentn

Posted May 31, 2011 - 03:14 PM

Very clever with the paper clip, I think you just saved me a crapload of time with the other bikes I work on!!!!
Thx!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.