rebuild 86 XL600 or create new D/S

6 replies to this topic
  • kheff46

Posted September 25, 2007 - 12:52 PM

i picked up an XL600 with some missing parts and possibly unknown issues i've yet to discover!

so im thinking of options. here's a list...

-keep bike: use new XR650 engine/harness/plastics, and CR500 forks for a street legal ripper.(rear susp. is the limiting item on this frame setup so far as i can see)

-buy crf roller chassis for super cheap(im not telling where!) and transplant XR650 engine, etc and get inspected. the engine transplant is the key to this idea coming to fruition. (im not sure how many mods the CRF frame needs to make an XR mill fit)

anyone done these? any helpful experience/tips you can lend?

and thanks either way!

--keith

• martinfan30

Posted September 25, 2007 - 01:01 PM

i picked up an XL600 with some missing parts and possibly unknown issues i've yet to discover!

so im thinking of options. here's a list...

-keep bike: use new XR650 engine/harness/plastics, and CR500 forks for a street legal ripper.(rear susp. is the limiting item on this frame setup so far as i can see)

-buy crf roller chassis for super cheap(im not telling where!) and transplant XR650 engine, etc and get inspected. the engine transplant is the key to this idea coming to fruition. (im not sure how many mods the CRF frame needs to make an XR mill fit)

anyone done these? any helpful experience/tips you can lend?

and thanks either way!

--keith

i really like your 1st idea.

save the crf chassis and put a xr650r engine in it!

• kheff46

Posted September 25, 2007 - 01:28 PM

i really like your 1st idea.

save the crf chassis and put a xr650r engine in it!

it's a toss up. i'll have the same $$ in it either way i think.

either one will have an XR650r engine in it. im not too sure how the stock XL600 rear shock will complement the CR500 USD forks. the rear is short travel and really early susp. technology compared to the fairly new forks.

im not gonna take it to the MX track, but i will go to work on it, mess around in town(SM hooligan) and get a little dirty(trans america trail) with it if it rides well enough!

the limitation on the XL project is rear susp.

the limitation on the CRF/XR650r is making the engine fit(no issue with rad's, etc. since it's a CRF chassis) properly with all needed things attached.

who has done the XR650 into a CRF frame so far?

--keith

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • martinfan30

Posted September 25, 2007 - 01:36 PM

You may Be the first!

• cleonard

Posted September 25, 2007 - 02:02 PM

who has done the XR650 into a CRF frame so far?

--keith

I think that you will find that it does not fit. Too tall for the size of the hole the 450 engine fit in.

• kheff46

Posted September 25, 2007 - 02:52 PM

weak! thats bad news... for the CRF frame that is!! i got a beechin sawzall!

kidding. i wish it would fit(even close). but whatever!

i will keep on keepin on with options and rambling. keep an eye out for me. if i ask something crazy, please don't knock it. i may surprise you(even if it's how dumb an idea) sometime.

thanks again my XR gurus! :thumbsup:

--keith

• Tallerman

Posted November 03, 2007 - 05:52 PM

Put the shock from a XR600 on the XL. It will raise the rear a bit and give better rebound.

I am swapping an XR600 ront end from eBay for the stock XL600 front end (cost with new seals, springs, and emulators $200) and swapping an eBay XR600 rear shock for the stock XL600 shock (cost $70). That should make my '85 a good offroad machine with the benefits of easy road legality (a big deal here in Mass.).

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.