xr600 carburation (help needed)

6 replies to this topic
  • zipper600

Posted September 25, 2007 - 12:37 PM

first of all my xr600 haves a CRD air filter and a complete exhaust line from IXIL.
170 main jet
58 slow jet but somone drilled it to become bigger.
my bike its hard to start but while riding is ok and idle too but when gets hot (traffic,low speeds) the idle gets erratic.sometimes seems its gonna shut off, makes some "paf-puff", keeps working, but when unexpected stalls.starts easily when hot.doesnt seem to get flooded.i guess the mixture is lean when its hot.i cleaned the carb and everything seems ok.it also bogs down if i open the throttle too fast.i tried to solve it pulling up the needle one clip but its too much and it gets flooded easily.i put as it was and set the floating bowl higger and its better but sometimes still happens.give me some ideas to solve this please.Anyone experienced it?

• martinfan30

Posted September 25, 2007 - 12:59 PM

sounds too rich on the main and a lean pilot circuit. sure the pilot circuit is clean? or have you checked your valve clearance?

• cleonard

Posted September 25, 2007 - 01:50 PM

Drilled jets suck! It's hard to drill it cleanly. Get a proper 68S pilot. The 170 is likely too big. I have a 158 in mine, but I have the stock pipe with an aftermarket insert. I would try a 165 and see how it is. It might need a 162 or 160.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • zipper600

Posted September 25, 2007 - 02:21 PM

valve clearance is ok.i got a 60 and a 62 pilot jet and got worse.the most stupid thing is that when i bought the XR she was running perfectly with this setup.it went to mechanic because the 2nd gear broke and never get it running properly.the carb is clean.the needle is on the 2nd groove from above.if i put the needle on the 3rd groove from above it gets more powerful and brutal but floods on idle.i tried a new 60 pilot jet but was too lean.62 the same.only works at idle with the 58 drilled pilot but even so haves that behaviour as i described on my first post.when i set the floating bowl higher it starts better.i think the main jet 170 is ok because the IXIL exhaust line is very open and loud...its very derestricted...

• martinfan30

Posted September 25, 2007 - 02:29 PM

something sounds goofy, i would post this question in the jetting thread for TT jetting expert eddie sisneros to answer. if he doesnt answer right away just bump the post until he does.

• cleonard

Posted September 25, 2007 - 02:55 PM

If it is flooding, it sounds like you have an issue with the float or the float needle and seat. Does gas come out of the overflow?

Really, try the 68S pilot. It may solve all your issues.

• zipper600

Posted September 26, 2007 - 11:00 AM

i already searched for a bigger pilot jet but the biggest i found was a 62 on Honda.now that you mention: when i stop i always have a small amount of gas on the tip of the overflow tube...:thumbsup: maybe the bowl valve is not sealing ok.....thanks..
i will check..

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.