How fast am I going?

19 replies to this topic
  • tmartinLVNV

Posted September 25, 2007 - 11:05 AM

I have a 02 XR650R with stock sized tires, stock gearing, and stock sprokets. I have a tach and I can get it up to 5200 rpm in 5th gear. At this point, I get a violent side to side oscillation that forces me to back off. The bike runs perfect and is still pulling strong. How fast am I going at that rpm? Does anyone have a chart for rpm=mph?:thumbsup:

• Freeflow1

Posted September 25, 2007 - 12:26 PM

use a GPS...

BTW I mounted a bicycle speedo on my dual sported XR

a Trek digital unit...clock, thermometer, lap, speed, distance...for $20.

works great on the XR...easy install....and velcroed it to the bars

• heavyhitter

Posted September 25, 2007 - 12:32 PM

Probably not as fast as you think you are :thumbsup:

Borrow a hand held GPS and give it a shot.

• hondacrf150f1

Posted September 25, 2007 - 12:49 PM

5200 RPM's with what gearing? myn 650R travels 55 MPH at 4200 RPM with 15-45 gearing

• Denn10

Posted September 25, 2007 - 03:18 PM

dont worry about the MPH you need some work on those forks if your getting headshake then. How much you weigh?

• Maroast

Posted September 25, 2007 - 03:52 PM

dont worry about the MPH you need some work on those forks if your getting headshake then. How much you weigh?

No joke. First off, with a stock setup your not going that fast (in the 50's id guess)...the real question is why is your bike shaking like that! Are your steerer bearings ok? Steerer too tight/loose? Are your forks/ shock beat... inappropriate sag (too much or to little) in the front/rear...

What is your experience level? Not trying to insult you...but sometimes you have to "flow" with the wobbles...if your too stiff then they will get worse as you ineffectively compensate.

With 15/45 my bike handles fine in the high 90's low 100's.... Not sure what the rpm is @ that speed (the rpm is in small numbers and I've got bigger things to focus on!!!)...but the motor is defiantly revving up there.

-roast

• tmartinLVNV

Posted September 26, 2007 - 06:50 AM

I'm 6'6" 240 lbs with gear on. I am new to dirt riding. I probably have about 30 hrs on the XR. I have been riding street for 33K miles. The bike is a 02 and I'm the third owner. The suspension is all stock and I have not adjusted any settings. I have not done any bearing maintaince.

• 06crf_er

Posted September 26, 2007 - 06:56 AM

I'm 6'6" 240 lbs with gear on. I am new to dirt riding. I probably have about 30 hrs on the XR. I have been riding street for 33K miles. The bike is a 02 and I'm the third owner. The suspension is all stock and I have not adjusted any settings. I have not done any bearing maintaince.

I would suggest some time spent either on here searching threads or with a manual to get familiar with your machine. If you bought it used, you're pretty much relying on the person you bought it from to have done the proper maintainence and taken care of it the way it should be. Maybe they did, maybe they didn't. A few hours and a few wrenches should tell you a lot about that.

You need to take some things apart, grease all of your bearings, check seals, SETUP YOUR SUSPENSION, change fluids, check torque on all of the inportant nuts/bolts....:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

There's a lot of stuff you should consider before riding again. Not only for your safety but for the logevity of your machine for God's sake. It's not going to last very long if you don't take care of it well:prof:

• Denn10

Posted September 26, 2007 - 07:58 AM

Bieng 240 you really need some stiffer springs front and rear and prolly a refresh on both also, new oil front and rear, recharge rear with nitrogen. Both of these are fairly cheap and a stealership $200 for both. Good time to take front headset down and check bearings and replace if bad or repack with grease, and the rear pull all the shock linkage and swingarm apart and inspect bearings and replace or repack with grease as nessecary. MOST LIKELY you wont need to replace any bearings just clean out and new grease. A little time doing this will help you out tremedously as you will see when u do these things. Plenty of help on here if you need it also.

• drtrider145

Posted September 30, 2007 - 12:46 PM

how do you not know the speed but know the RPM????

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • XR680RR

Posted September 30, 2007 - 05:58 PM

Got this off Borynack web sight.

http://www.xr650r.bo...gcalcXR650R.xls

You have to change the spockets back to stock. He has them at 15/47 but, at 5,200rpm in fifth your are going 68mph

• husky123

Posted October 01, 2007 - 04:15 AM

how do you not know the speed but know the RPM????

I was wondering the same thing?:confused:

• scalejockey

Posted October 01, 2007 - 04:34 AM

Watch the movie Dust to glory and see how much these bikes dance around at speed. I thought it was just my bike when I would get it up to speed. it's ok! let er dance.. but really get some heavier springs this helps overall handling.And check your spokes and wheel bearings.

• XR680RR

Posted October 01, 2007 - 06:03 AM

Pushing your forks down in the triple clamps will mak the bike more stable (so there is less sticking out the top) and raising them in the clamps will make the bike turn sharper. Most guys that race the bike have 5mm of fork (from the bottom of the cap to the top triple clamp). For street use some run them flush but, this will set you up to wash out in the dirt.

• tmartinLVNV

Posted October 01, 2007 - 07:02 AM

I have a hour meter/tach mounted on my handlebars. You can get them off of ebay from pit posse for $40.

• tmartinLVNV

Posted October 01, 2007 - 07:05 AM

Thanks for all of the replies guys. Since buying the bike, I've replaced tires, oil and filter twice, antifreeze, plug, handlebars, and uncorked it. Now it is time to work on the suspension. I do most work myself, but I've never torn down forks or removed bearings before I have the manual, so it should not be too difficult.

• martinfan30

Posted October 01, 2007 - 09:55 AM

I have a hour meter/tach mounted on my handlebars. You can get them off of ebay from pit posse for $40.

looks our UNR boys owned you guys saturday!lol

• Denn10

Posted October 01, 2007 - 10:34 AM

looks our UNR boys owned you guys saturday!lol

RENO blows VEGAS RULES BABAY!!!! Dont let him mess with you LV i got your back.

• martinfan30

Posted October 01, 2007 - 11:02 AM

dude, i KNOW where the best buffets are!LOL

• XR680RR

Posted October 02, 2007 - 05:58 AM

Thanks for all of the replies guys. Since buying the bike, I've replaced tires, oil and filter twice, antifreeze, plug, handlebars, and uncorked it. Now it is time to work on the suspension. I do most work myself, but I've never torn down forks or removed bearings before I have the manual, so it should not be too difficult.

http://xr650r.borynack.com/

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.