How many have done a frame up rebuild on an R?

5 replies to this topic
  • Supplicate

Posted September 24, 2007 - 08:55 PM

Thinking about stripping my bike (05 R) down to the frame and rebuilding with all new fasteners this winter and was wondering if any of you have done it before. If so, how much did it cost overall? I already have a plentiful supply of blue, red, and green loctite and quite a few spare misc. fasteners, just want to do it right.

Also looking at either putting the high compression piston in it thats been sitting on the shelf for a year and a half or just going ahead and dropping the 680 kit in it...

• rcnutt

Posted September 25, 2007 - 02:46 AM

is there something wrong with the current fasteners?

• scalejockey

Posted September 25, 2007 - 04:52 AM

If ya do that piston don't forget to use a stronger rod.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Supplicate

Posted September 25, 2007 - 05:35 AM

is there something wrong with the current fasteners?

Some of the nuts/bolts are getting rounded off, some of the allen heads are getting stripped off, some of the fasteners are just missing from being vibrated out. Its been rode hard and didn't get much of a prep when I first bought it because I was an utter n00b then. Now that I know better I want to give it some TLC and get everything to where it should be.

• martinfan30

Posted September 25, 2007 - 06:50 AM

sounds like you want a winter project! its a good one.

• Supplicate

Posted September 25, 2007 - 07:13 AM

sounds like you want a winter project! its a good one.

Been thinking on it for more then a year now, was considering selling it for a while but would rather just get it back into 100% condition and keep riding it like I stole it :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Summer projects are the snowmobiles and winter projects are the bikes. Maybe I really should take that job at the dealership so I can get damn good prices on parts...

edit: anyone know where I can source a Carillo rod through? Didn't see anywhere on their page about ordering.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.