XRL Wing Removal?

40 replies to this topic
  • 650_shark

Posted September 26, 2007 - 06:59 AM

Question...has anyone killed an XRL from overheating it? Note: operating conditions are it had the correct oil and amount of oil in it.

If not, then call me what you will, ahhh just ride your pig and don't worry about it.

• Denn10

Posted September 26, 2007 - 07:43 AM

i havent seen any this year about Ls blowing up cuz of high oil temps yet.

• Suds

Posted September 26, 2007 - 11:01 AM

I saw it coming. Coming from far away I say. It started with a dim little light in the distance. But now, now....it is....

.....an oil thread.:thumbsup:

Yup, thought the same thing myself. My question wasn't so much about cooling/oil. I was more worried about the stock tank being secure enough with the wings off.

With only the one bolt and the two hooks underneath, the tank feels a little loose/wobbly with the wings off. I was wondering if anyone else ran the stock tank with the wings off, and did they feel it was secure enough? Or, was there any way to tie it in to the holes that are there for the wings?

Thanks for any help...

Suds

• martinfan30

Posted September 26, 2007 - 12:19 PM

Yup, thought the same thing myself. My question wasn't so much about cooling/oil. I was more worried about the stock tank being secure enough with the wings off.

With only the one bolt and the two hooks underneath, the tank feels a little loose/wobbly with the wings off. I was wondering if anyone else ran the stock tank with the wings off, and did they feel it was secure enough? Or, was there any way to tie it in to the holes that are there for the wings?

Thanks for any help...

Suds

i noticed the tank thing too when i pulled mine off. i havent done ANYTHING for it and no issues in 2 yrs.

• cleonard

Posted September 26, 2007 - 02:48 PM

Question...has anyone killed an XRL from overheating it? Note: operating conditions are it had the correct oil and amount of oil in it.

If not, then call me what you will, ahhh just ride your pig and don't worry about it.

Well, it appears that I tried to kill my XR600 in this manner. I was only partially successful though. Let me elaborate.

I have had two issues that I feel were directly attributable to heat. First I had to replace 2 valve seats. The bike didn't strand me though. What happens is when the aluminum gets too hot it can permanently expand. The seats are a press fit and fail when they are no longer held by the aluminum head. The second issue is with the crankcases. The crank bearing is no longer a press fit. Do some searches and you will find me asking about it in Feb 2006 or so. At that time I was told "don't worry about it" so I just put it back together. It has been running since then with no major problems. I have always worried about it. Over the last year and a half I came to the conclusion that this was caused by overheating. Same process as the valve seats.

If these aircooled bike engines are anything like aircooled airplane engines the actual head temps are a lot higher than the oil temps that you guys are seeing. We are talking as high as 400 or even 450+.

• 650_shark

Posted September 26, 2007 - 04:21 PM

At that time I was told "don't worry about it" so I just put it back together. It has been running since then with no major problems.

Crazy...reinforcing the fact that XRs are indestructible. At my work I occasionally come across stuff like that with random industrial components (motors, pumps, etc) I usually coordinate the repair of such items so at times I will have conversations with manufactures and they are like "well, you should replace that but if it still running I would leave it alone".

• wheelnut46

Posted September 26, 2007 - 04:22 PM

If these aircooled bike engines are anything like aircooled airplane engines the actual head temps are a lot higher than the oil temps that you guys are seeing. We are talking as high as 400 or even 450+.

That makes sense. I'm sure the fire side of a frying pan is hotter than the oil inside it.
Air cooled engines have been used for a long time in some pretty harsh environments all over the world (VW, Kubel - pre/post WWII Germany) thanks to their simplicity, reliability and overall low cost/less parts.

• martinfan30

Posted September 26, 2007 - 08:27 PM

cleonard you are right. several weeks ago when i was doing the nitrogen tests(eventually unimpressed with nitrogen), i used my I.R. temp gun after a good hiway ride on the cyl. head... it read 440-460 depending on where i pointed. the higher being close to the exhaust side of the head. the actual head pipe at the head was well over 500.

• Motosprtman

Posted September 27, 2007 - 05:08 AM

The XL600R had no wings and ran really hot stock, and it never ever to my knowledge had anyoverheating problems, at least mine did'nt.

• heavyhitter

Posted September 27, 2007 - 06:23 AM

For the most part heat (unless VERY VERY extreme) is a slow killer. Heat will kill you engine even at safe temps. the same with electronics. Most times we will never see these differences.
Example:
take a microchip and subject it to a constant 250 degrees 24-7 , say it lasts 35 years.

ok now take that same microchip and subject it to a constant 200 degrees 24-7 now it lasts 32 years.

This is just an example. The more heat you have the more wear it will make on you engine, it is a killer over time and unless an extreme event you will not see the difference.

Now heat can and will destroy you oil much faster. Oil is cheap, change it often and save some $$ and dont buy a motorcycle specific oil.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • martinfan30

Posted September 27, 2007 - 06:53 AM

i think you have your temps backwards.

• riding4life162

Posted April 14, 2008 - 02:04 PM

OK I know this is an old thread but you guys still think its safe to take the shrouds off for good?

• martinfan30

Posted April 14, 2008 - 02:28 PM

I had no problems. If you think about it, the oversize plastic tanks eliminate use of the wings.

• elrontx

Posted April 14, 2008 - 03:19 PM

I have no wings, broke one clean off during a harescramble. No heat problems....I also drilled about 2 dozen holes in the front fender(rear part) to let air flow thru. I also run Rotella 15w-50.

not to hijack the thread but how did you do in the harescramble? i know new england is some tehnical riding!

• Kenzo

Posted April 14, 2008 - 03:24 PM

I saw it coming. Coming from far away I say. It started with a dim little light in the distance. But now, now....it is....

.....an oil thread.:confused:

...naaaw...it's a temp thread :thumbsup:

...i just put 5psi air in my forks and it runs 20 degrees cooler :ride:

:thumbsup:

• XR650L_Dave

Posted April 15, 2008 - 07:39 AM

OK I know this is an old thread but you guys still think its safe to take the shrouds off for good?

As long as you've rejetted.

I just use the black inner part on mine.

Dave

• Motosprtman

Posted April 15, 2008 - 10:36 AM

I use an acerbis XR400 front fender = shorter in the back than stock to let a bit more air in and looks better then the big mutha flappa fender that comes stock.

• BeeDub

Posted April 15, 2008 - 11:43 AM

.....an oil thread.:thumbsup:

Hey, can anyone tell me which is better, D606 or Michelin Desert?

• XR650L_Dave

Posted April 15, 2008 - 12:15 PM

...naaaw...it's a temp thread :thumbsup:

...i just put 5psi air in my forks and it runs 20 degrees cooler :confused:

If that 5psi changes the attitude of the bike enough, that's entirely plausible with the stock XRL fender!

Dave

• Rockjockey

Posted April 15, 2008 - 12:17 PM

The 606 as long as you add 5 psi to the forks and use the purple power band with it.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.