XR650R ATV vs. Stock bars, pics.

17 replies to this topic
  • Juxxtin

Posted September 24, 2007 - 04:58 PM

Thought this might benefit someone wanting to compare ATV to stock bars. I wish I could have seen before purchasing. But it worked work out pretty good.

6'3" here, wanted higher bars... searched a bunched, and bought the ATV bar from the TT store. (along with a few other things.) Was contemplating the Pastrana MX at roughly 4.5"... but that along with the 1 1/8" adapter, well, cost wise thought I'd try this option:
"Product Code: WPS_1894255" @ $33.xx

I did have to sand the insides .5mm to get the new bark busters installed... that was the only pain. But a drill and bit took care of that business easy.

Haven't rode it yet, but just sitting and standing already feels much improved.

Enjoy... :thumbsup:

Stock vs. ATV
Posted Image Posted Image

Rest of photos here if interested:
http://picasaweb.goo...key=R6pdkJbNd_I

• martinfan30

Posted September 24, 2007 - 07:03 PM

those look taller than my stock bars in 2" roxspeedfx pivoting risers.

• jclaus98

Posted September 24, 2007 - 07:35 PM

Juxxtin, I'm 6'04" and looking for something like what you've done, but I'm wondering, how's everything in the cable dept.? My cables; throttle, clutch, etc. are pretty tight right now, and I think if I were to go to larger bars, I'd have clearance issues. Any suggestions?

• martinfan30

Posted September 24, 2007 - 07:38 PM

Juxxtin, I'm 6'04" and looking for something like what you've done, but I'm wondering, how's everything in the cable dept.? My cables; throttle, clutch, etc. are pretty tight right now, and I think if I were to go to larger bars, I'd have clearance issues. Any suggestions?

just get longer cables. the cost and installation of longer cables are worth the extra height of the bars.

• Denn10

Posted September 24, 2007 - 09:07 PM

only problem with ATV bars is there usually an inch or so narrower than bike bars like i can see in the pics, they are swept back more too seems like the height is a bit offset by the sweep back. How you like the feel of em so far?

• Supplicate

Posted September 24, 2007 - 09:13 PM

Check my garage to see the difference between the stock top triple clamp with the highest renthal bars you can get and the SUB mount with KX Highs if you want to see a really good solution for the tall guys.

• Suikerland

Posted September 25, 2007 - 04:15 AM

Thought this might benefit someone wanting to compare ATV to stock bars. I wish I could have seen before purchasing. But it worked work out pretty good.

6'3" here, wanted higher bars... searched a bunched, and bought the ATV bar from the TT store. (along with a few other things.) Was contemplating the Pastrana MX at roughly 4.5"... but that along with the 1 1/8" adapter, well, cost wise thought I'd try this option:
"Product Code: WPS_1894255" @ $33.xx

I did have to sand the insides .5mm to get the new bark busters installed... that was the only pain. But a drill and bit took care of that business easy.

Have rode it yet, but just sitting and standing already feels much improved.

Enjoy... :thumbsup:

I'm also considering ATV bars.
Are they taller than the Pastranas?
At the triple clamp, are they 1" or smaller?

Does anybody have an online source for longer cables?

• Juxxtin

Posted September 25, 2007 - 04:48 AM

To a few responses above.

-The ATV bars are about ~6.x" inches tall... so similar to having the Pastrana MX (or KX high) with the 1 1/8" riser/adapters, (but without the additional cost). Bars ~4.2" + adapter ~1.2". The ATV bars are still 7/8" across the whole bar and fit right into the stock triple/clamps.
-The total width is about 1.2" less wide than stock as well if that's important to you.
-They also sweep back farther than most bike bars... I didn't want this but will give it a try anyway. I think the number was a 3.4" sweep back (vs. most are ~2.5").
-Stock cables everywhere, only key is you have to spin the throttle tubing/casing to the back position, then route the cables behind the bars instead of in-front. The clutch/decomp are closer but still have full range of motion. Front brake line, no issue.
-No issues with fitting the Clarke 4.3g or Acerbis 6.6g either, but closer than stock, come to about 1/2" clearance at full turn.

My preference would be the entire SUB mounts setup with scotts and 1 7/8"... but... I like this overall considering cost. I hope to soon get farther than just the backyard to try these out!!

• Shinyboat

Posted September 26, 2007 - 06:05 PM

I put Tusk ATV high bend bars on. Its like a 6.5" rise. Cables had to be rerouted a bit and fit nice. I ma contemplating another inch with risers. I think the cables will fit.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • TrailRiderXRL

Posted September 27, 2007 - 04:07 AM

I've been looking around trying to find a source for longer cables for my XRR. Do you know of a place off hand?

just get longer cables. the cost and installation of longer cables are worth the extra height of the bars.

• Denn10

Posted September 27, 2007 - 05:41 AM

Terrycable...Motionpro they prolly both have em.

• rdahl

Posted September 27, 2007 - 07:17 AM

Think they are gonna hold up after a crash? Looks like a lot of leverage to bend.

• TrailRiderXRL

Posted September 28, 2007 - 04:31 PM

Thanks! I'll take a look.

Terrycable...Motionpro they prolly both have em.

• Supplicate

Posted October 01, 2007 - 05:40 PM

I've got a set of takeoff Terrycable throttle cables that I could let go if you want.

Use the OEM clutch cable, trust me on this one. All you have to do is think out routing and it works great.

• Juxxtin

Posted October 01, 2007 - 05:50 PM

This install raised the bars 6"+ with the stock throttle cables... just turning the tubing and re-routing to behind the bars.

... so why would anyone need new throttle cables for length purposes??
(just to be 'stock' and route the factory way.."!) :confused:

• Supplicate

Posted October 02, 2007 - 07:26 AM

This install raised the bars 6"+ with the stock throttle cables... just turning the tubing and re-routing to behind the bars.

... so why would anyone need new throttle cables for length purposes??
(just to be 'stock' and route the factory way.."!) :confused:

When using something such as the SUB mount from BRP it doesn't just move the bars up, it moves them forward as well. I much prefer riding a setup with the bars further forward then the OEM BRP. With this style of a rise (forward and up) you need longer throttle cables but the OEM clutch cable will work with the correct routing. You need the throttle cables so they don't bind or anything like that, it was really spooky riding mine with the OEM cables because when you would turn the bars to the left (IIRC) it would throttle up. Went one city block with OEM and then got on the phone and picked up the longer cables.

edit: Trust me, at first I had the same thoughts as you, that it would work. Until I took it out and found it it wouldn't.

• Juxxtin

Posted October 02, 2007 - 07:32 AM

:confused:

:confused:

• Kev_XR

Posted October 02, 2007 - 07:36 AM

Sweep has a big affect on bar feel.
Lots of sweep is OK if you sit down a lot.
Less sweep is good if you want to stand up and get forward.

I put the RC bend on my XR400. They felt like a straight tube.
Elbows up, standing, leaning forward was great.
It was an aggressive stance bar and very litttle sweep.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  148 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.