Love my 08 but why....

13 replies to this topic
  • matts06yzf

Posted September 24, 2007 - 04:14 PM

Why is the thing so hard to start? Is it a new bike thing probably only has 45mins on it. I have to kick kick kick. I have never bought a brand new bike so whats the scoop?

• 426 NOOB

Posted September 24, 2007 - 04:29 PM

Why is the thing so hard to start? Is it a new bike thing probably only has 45mins on it. I have to kick kick kick. I have never bought a brand new bike so whats the scoop?

Are you following the procedure? Just past top dead center and jump on the starter with all your weight?

• motox100

Posted September 24, 2007 - 04:49 PM

Are you following the procedure? Just past top dead center and jump on the starter with all your weight?

Personally, I wouldnt do that, not required and probably a little hard on things.

Are you refering to when it's cold? Usually choke on, a couple twists of the throttle to prime and kick through with no throttle will light mine in the first couple kicks.

• Slinkyman16

Posted September 24, 2007 - 05:03 PM

check you idle.. it may be set low.. my 07 was like this.. a half turn it fired right up.

• rexbond007

Posted September 24, 2007 - 05:08 PM

i noticed i when i had my bike new it takes a bit of breaking in, and after a few rides the motor 'frees up' it turns over eaiser

• matts06yzf

Posted September 24, 2007 - 05:18 PM

I know how to start a damn bike had them my whole life just never had a brand new 4 stroke. 06 was used when I bought it. Thanks guys

• DPW

Posted September 24, 2007 - 05:19 PM

check you idle.. it may be set low.. my 07 was like this.. a half turn it fired right up.

This was the case with my '06 too and my '08...turn the idle up a hair.

i noticed i when i had my bike new it takes a bit of breaking in, and after a few rides the motor 'frees up' it turns over eaiser

Also true...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DesertRacer2

Posted September 24, 2007 - 06:59 PM

I just twist the throttle 3 times, pull in the hot start (engine hot or cold) and kick away.

• swaldrop

Posted September 24, 2007 - 07:14 PM

It's just a new bike thing. Every new bike I've ever had is hard to start the first few times out (my '08 450 is no different). After a few rides you'll forget you ever had a problem...

• grayracer513

Posted September 24, 2007 - 07:58 PM

Still using manual decompression, eh? The 450 has no such "procedure"; you just kick them. Figuring out the balance of idle speed, fuel mix, choke/no choke, etc. is all the mystery there is to them.

• kristylynn9598

Posted September 25, 2007 - 03:26 AM

I am new to the 450 world too. The first day it took about 10 kicks, then I was almost too tired to ride. :thumbsup: Lot harder to kick then a 2 stroke. Now it starts on the first or second kick when cold, :thumbsup: and first kick when warm. :thumbsup: For cold starts I pull the cold start button on the side of the carb. and when hot pull in the hot start lever on the bars, and away we go. I forgot to tell my Boyfriend about the hot start lever the first time he rode it (he's used to electric start and 4 wheels) and it about wore him out tring to start it. :worthy:

• leanin

Posted September 25, 2007 - 08:58 AM

My yz250f was very hard to start when it was new. Getting the fuel screw set properly helped it a lot. But, it still usually requires 3-4 kicks. My new 07 450 almost always starts the first kick. Also, it seems every bike seems to have a "trick" . Some like 1 twist of the throttle when cold and some like 3 twists. Sometimes the hard part is finding the "trick".

• CDA

Posted September 25, 2007 - 09:15 AM

When cold, pull choke on, pull start lever on bars. No need to kick hard. Couple kicks will fire it up...:thumbsup:

• maddogyz250f

Posted September 25, 2007 - 12:29 PM

I just twist the throttle 3 times, pull in the hot start (engine hot or cold) and kick away.

If you need to use the hot start on a cold engine, wouldn't this indicate a very rich fuel mixture?

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.