kickstarter stuck, 03 yz450

4 replies to this topic
  • yamaharider324

Posted September 24, 2007 - 12:20 PM

this is not my bike but my friends bike. he turned off the bike for a minute went to start it again and it started but then he heard the "ticking" noise like when the kick starter is down while the bike is running. he looks down and its only halfway up. so he turns if off right way. we push it back and take off the kicker because we thought it just wasn't swinging back. grease that and it works fine but still gets stuck. its not the kick start lever because we took it right off and we saw the little shaft vibrating back and forth.

It seems that a spring or gear was moved on the inside. it will start and run perfect besides the kick starter not going all the way up.

he will be taking it to the shop to get fixed this week, but does anyone know what could be wrong?

Thanks!

• yamaharider324

Posted September 25, 2007 - 11:31 AM

anyone know what could be the problem before he brings it to the shop?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • efan450f

Posted September 25, 2007 - 12:24 PM

if you want my best guess i would say the hooked end of the spring that locks into the case broke or the case journal where the spring goes in broke hopefully it's just a spring not the case. in an event make sure you find all the broken pieces or you'll be replacing more than a kick start spring, if it were mine i would not ride it until you solve the kick start situation, i would pop the side cover off and look it isn't hard to do especially if you have the manual you just have to remove the water pump impeller, a couple coolant hoses,the break lever and the side cover itself the whole kick start mechanism is right there and easy to remove and inspect. if you wanted to see whats going on with it together you could take just the clutch cover off but to access the kick starter you will have to remove the entire clutch unit, it's a little more work but you would be able to move the kick starter and watch what it's doing in it's place. i would take the side cover of though if it's not retracting all the way your not going to be able to fix it with out removing it but it shouldn't prove to be too difficult if you have any mechanical know how. i just would rather do my own work but thats me im no expert but any suggestion has to help right?

• yamaharider324

Posted September 25, 2007 - 02:25 PM

thanks. that did help. i would do the work but its not my bike and i don't have a clutch removal tool. he has the manual but doesn't want to screw anything up.

• grayracer513

Posted September 25, 2007 - 02:55 PM

'03's had a kind of a reputation for breaking the internal kick start assembly, and that's probably what's happened here. You don't really need the clutch holder, BTW, there are several ways around that, and it's a pretty easy job.

You will likely need an entire starter assembly from an '05 (the '03 unit is no longer sold, and the '05 is listed as the replacement) PN = 5XD-15601-00-00

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.