Weight Loss for a WR450

11 replies to this topic
  • w00dsRider

Posted September 24, 2007 - 11:00 AM

As we all know that the WR's are, well... "big boned". So I'm on a mission to put mine on a diet (I'm already on one:ride: ). I know that an after market exhaust will make a big difference in weight, along with an ebatt but how about other bike parts?
Are the milled after market wheel hubs lighter than the stock ones? Are aluminum skid plates heavier than the carbon fiber ones?
I've read that Yamaha put a Bridgestone tire, instead of Dunlop, on the 08 YZ250F (I think it was the YZF and not the two-stroke) because they weighed less. Is this true for the 18" tires as well? Yeah I know, buy the tires that work for you but just the same. Are there other lighter, decent, tires around? Any other areas that a little weight can be saved without giving up my beloved e-start or light?
Oh and for you "smart" guys I didn't want a YZ just a lighter WR.

Thanks!

• Sycamore

Posted September 24, 2007 - 04:03 PM

Kickstand, the zillions of tie wraps holding it together, does it need ALL those wires, how bout those hoses, etc.

Obviously just kidding (kind of) and I'd like to get rid of some pounds too.

• rkwfxd1

Posted September 24, 2007 - 04:38 PM

Most likely you will find yourself on a very expensive journey. The easy stuff would be full Ti exhaust system, replace all nuts and bolts with Ti and you can probably get Ti axles. I think the factory footpegs might already be Ti but I'm not sure. I'm guessing you would spend a good $2000+ and lose 5-10 pounds. Not worth it im my book but it may be to you or others.

Another option would be to spend $2000 on a gym membership, GO, USE IT, get STRONGER, live LONGER and ALL bikes will FEEL lighter. I should probably do this myself.

Keep us posted on what you do to the bike.

Ride safe

• CaseyWR450

Posted September 24, 2007 - 04:48 PM

I removed my kickstand, headlight, tailight, and battery. But I don't have the electric start anymore since i took the battery out. If i took the startor motor and gears out how much more would that be? And what would you put over the hole?

• bicyclebob

Posted September 24, 2007 - 08:01 PM

Any extra weight above the CG is going to have the most effect. Try this as an expeiment. Fill the gas tank half full and take it out on your toughest trail then come back and fill it completely and go right back to that trail. You will find out how much the difference in weight makes and if it is worth the time and money to shave of those extra pounds. This is kind of obvious but it works.

• HollywoodMX

Posted September 24, 2007 - 09:06 PM

Any extra weight above the CG is going to have the most effect. Try this as an expeiment. Fill the gas tank half full and take it out on your toughest trail then come back and fill it completely and go right back to that trail. You will find out how much the difference in weight makes and if it is worth the time and money to shave of those extra pounds. This is kind of obvious but it works.

Ya i noticed that today, big time.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • w00dsRider

Posted September 25, 2007 - 04:24 AM

Good idea HollywoodMX but most of my journeys require at least two gallons of fuel. But you're right it does make a difference, that why I'm on this mission.

Yeah rkwfxd1 you're right as well, it'll be a costly activity but still cheaper than buying another "light weight" bike so I can have the best of both worlds. By the by, I save the gym fees by having exercise equipment at home so my bike is already feeling lighter. I've shed nearly 30 pounds off of my bod so it's time for the bike to go on a diet!

Any idea about the hubs? Anyone know if the milled units are lighter than the stock cast pieces?

Thanks for the input and I'll let you know how it goes.

• GCannon

Posted September 25, 2007 - 07:43 AM

Search post by ncmountianman he did some amazing work and posted tons of great information:worthy:

• w00dsRider

Posted September 25, 2007 - 07:58 AM

Search post by ncmountianman he did some amazing work and posted tons of great information:worthy:

I've seen some of his posts and he does share a lot of great information! But give me a break here, he has thousands of posts and I work for living! :thumbsup: Can you narrow down what I should be searching for? Thanks.

• GCannon

Posted September 25, 2007 - 10:23 AM

He lives close (relatively) to you.
Why don't you PM him?:thumbsup:

• w00dsRider

Posted September 25, 2007 - 10:33 AM

Didn't think about that. Just felt kind of obtrusive.
Thanks

• HollywoodMX

Posted September 25, 2007 - 04:42 PM

I have read the mountain man threads thre is some good info, but getting rid of the estart where there is a lot of weight to get rid defeats the purpose of having a well rounded bike IMO. A friend of mine who is a hard core rider switched from a KTM 525 to a KTM 450 just for estart. I was thinking about trying to drop some weight too , but it already came with a full titanium exhaust, and 19" rear. For me I decided to buy the lowering kit. I figure If I can put my feet fully down and lower the center of gravity it will help me learn the bike better. and its a 10 minute change to go back to stock.

I mean for trail riding can you really go wrong with a nicely modded KDX 220r? If your looking for a light bike I mean?

After hearing the sound of my 450 idling with a full titanium exhaust Im not sure I could switch to anything else.. Sounds like a gattling gun crossed with a helicopter.....sounds crazy awsome.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.