YZ 426 Lower End Bearings.....??

9 replies to this topic
  • smdonald

Posted September 24, 2007 - 10:22 AM

I just rebuilt my entire engine. Top and bottom end. All new bearings and seals in the bottom. New wiseco top. Before i rebuilt it, it seized up. Something in the bottom end was stuck. The oil filter was covered in metal.

So i tore it down and replaced all but the left side primary drive shaft bearing and the shift drum bearing on the left as well. finished it and it ran great. i still saw a few flakes in the oil but i thought this was typical of an engine after catastrophic failure and rebuild such as this. i rode very easy and broke the motor in completely.

after about 3 rides (changing the oil every time) the flakes started to appear more and more. the bike started to lose power which was VERY noticeable. still seems to run fine and i checked everything else. even did a leakdown and came out fine.

my question is could it be a bad bearing in the bottom. maybe something w/ the crank ( ie. bent, bad rod bearing etc..) that would cause it to lose power and metal flakes to appear. how can you tell that a bearing is bad. they all turned freely and smooth and the rod had no play in it???

any input??

• grayracer513

Posted September 24, 2007 - 10:27 AM

Try this. Pull the clutch cover and remove the pressure plate and clutch plates. Turn the clutch boss and see if it turns freely and smoothly. If not, that left main shaft bearing is probably bad. They are one of the most likely transmission bearings to fail out of the set.

• smdonald

Posted September 24, 2007 - 10:37 AM

will do. i just dont understand how it could have failed that quickly. i checked everything twice. i took my time and stretched out the reassembly for a week so i could make sure it was right.

it ran like a bat out of hell for awhile. are the flakes typical after a rebuild such as this? and if so, how long can i expect to see them before they are eventually flushed out?

• grayracer513

Posted September 24, 2007 - 10:56 AM

If the flakes were in the oil filter, they were in the frame, and if you didn't flush that, you can expect to see more until they're finally gone. Remember that the oil is picked up by the return pump and sent to the tank (frame), after which, the feed pump draws it back top the engine and sends it first to the oil filter.

A bearing race can start spalling off (flaking) at any time, which is exactly why any bearing that requires that much work to replace should be replaced at the same time the rest of the crankcase bearings are when rebuilding a high hour unit; you simply don't have a way of knowing how much longer the aparently healthy bearing will last. It might not be bad, though, so don't panic just yet.

• smdonald

Posted September 24, 2007 - 11:02 AM

could a bad bearing like that be the cause of such dramatic power loss?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted September 24, 2007 - 11:38 AM

"Dramatic power loss" would be asking quite a bit from a bearing, frankly, short of a full siezure, especially when we're talking about a 426. Actually, the first symptoms of a mainshaft bearing that drags a lot would be difficulty shifting at high RPM.

Otherwise, power loss is the fault of incorrect timing (flywheel key, cams out of time), loss of compression, stuff like that.

• neokinetiks

Posted September 24, 2007 - 11:50 AM

Before i rebuilt it, it seized up. Something in the bottom end was stuck. The oil filter was covered in metal.

The above quote is exactly what I had happen to my 426.

Although my problem was a piece of my crank was being shaved down and eventually broke off and logged in between some gears, causing the engine to seize.
Im not the most mechanically inclined when it comes to 4T bikes otherwise i would try to explain alittle better.
But alot of the signs you mention are the same that I saw.

Hope this helps...

• smdonald

Posted September 25, 2007 - 08:25 AM

i checked the bearing behind the cluch boss, seemed fine. checked the flywheel and key...fine. checked timing and did the leakdown again. all seemed fine.

just dont understand what could be wrong. could it be electrical??

• smdonald

Posted September 26, 2007 - 10:46 AM

anyone think this could be electrical

• grayracer513

Posted September 26, 2007 - 01:25 PM

Unless it's misfiring, the only thing electrical that could cause a power loss would be timing. Theoretically, it's possible that the CDI could cease to correctly map the ignition timing correctly while remaining otherwise functional, but it seems very unlikely. There could also be a problem related to the TPS, which you could verify one way or other by trying the bike with the TPS disconnected. It should run the same at full throttle as it would with it connected, and if it was causing the trouble, the bike should run in a reasonably normal manner under a heavy load.

Otherwise, an ignition timing problem is a matter of a sheared flywheel key.

Related Content

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.