86 Xl600r

25 replies to this topic
  • kheff46

Posted September 24, 2007 - 07:31 AM

hey guys! as the title says, i just picked up a 1986 XL600R with the red engine and all!

im not new to thumpertalk, but kinda new to XR/XL600's though! i loved the smaller XR's as a kid and have no doubt the 600 is any different.:thumbsup:

anyways, i am missing some parts and need info on some others. here goes...

-rubber boots behind carbs between airbox. it has two carbs and both boots are gone! (also see carb section next)

-carbs: there are two keihins, in what condition i have yet to really discover. can i replace with one FCR41? or something easier than rebuilding both carbs and syncing them, etc.? if theres parts missing from the stock ones i may opt for that route.

-battery: standard XR600 i assume? any better/smaller i should consider since i gotta buy new anyway?

-seat: foam is almost gone as well as the cover. but plastic base is ok. how cheap is a whole new seat vs recover and new foam? are they around used? is XL same as XR?

thats all i will hit you with now! im sure thers more though. im looking for a good database of XR/XL info also. compatible parts and non, etc. so any links would be awesome as i've just started the search.

thanks for all your help in adavance guys!

--keith

• cleonard

Posted September 24, 2007 - 08:29 AM

rubber boots

Honda starts dropping parts after 15 to 20 years and that bike is that old. You can try OEM, but if you can't get them then ebay is your friend.

carbs

You are pretty much stuck with the stock carbs. There really isn't a way to adapt a single carb. Remove them and clean carefully. In order to run without the airbox the jetting may have been changed. Get it back to stock jetting when you install the boots. Jetting those things are a major pain so start at stock.

battery

As far as I know it's only for the turn signals, the brake/stop light, and the horn. Not really needed if you are only riding in the dirt. If riding the street it is good to have. A large electrolytic cap (aka battery eliminator) is an option as well.

seat

I think that they are different. Get one from ebay.

• kheff46

Posted September 25, 2007 - 05:09 AM

shoot, that about kills the easy ways out!

i would like it to run, and possibly take it to work on nice days w/o having it take a dump on me! i know they are fairly reliable, but wasn't sure what is similar to the XR and easier to find used.

ok next idea- MOTOR SWAP! are the motor mounts on this engine the same as a newer XR650R/XR650L/XR600's ? i would like to replace it if theres too much to rebuild. i'll just keep it for random parts, or fleabay it if it's in my way. this way i can get some updated and easily found parts instead.

is this an option?

any other options i should consider?

again, thanks for any info!

--keith

• zrxer

Posted September 25, 2007 - 05:43 AM

Keith, the motor mounts and all are the same as the later model XR600/XR650L engines. As a matter of fact, I just swapped in a '93 XR650L engine into my '84 XL600R. I used the 650L wiring harness. Also swapped on the complete front. I had to use a Mikuni 41mm flat slide with a foam clamp on filter as the stock carb wouldn't physically fit between the engine and frame. I used a Yamaha WR450 battery (for the electric start) and relocated it to the unused stock air box. This engine has more low RPM torque but the dual-carb 600 engine has more horsepower, especially when you spend some time re-jetting the carbs.

• kheff46

Posted September 25, 2007 - 06:00 AM

WOW! thanks a crap load!

i was hoping this wasn't a throw away bike! im seriously considering rebuilding this bike in some way. i got it hella cheap and would like to ride it.

heres a short outline(potential that is) of my build.

-strip frame and repaint or powdercoat it
-XR 650 engine swap & corresponding harness(liquid cooled probably if possible) with exhaust
-CR(F) fork swap for better performance/travel
-FCR41mm
-shock(not sure how to make it better!)
-new spokes(i already have gold rims and my spokes are rusty)
-new style plastic swap(not sure whats involved in making it fit, any ideas or write ups you know of?)

thats the basics so far. it has a clarke tank already, and all blinkers, so im gonna run it basic for a while. i will do the engine swap and susp. swap before i run it on the road i think. that way i get to tear into it and make sure it's at least safe enough to ride to work.

thanks and keep the info coming guys!

--keith

• martinfan30

Posted September 25, 2007 - 06:48 AM

WOW! thanks a crap load!

i was hoping this wasn't a throw away bike! im seriously considering rebuilding this bike in some way. i got it hella cheap and would like to ride it.

heres a short outline(potential that is) of my build.

-strip frame and repaint or powdercoat it
-XR 650 engine swap & corresponding harness(liquid cooled probably if possible) with exhaust
-CR(F) fork swap for better performance/travel
-FCR41mm
-shock(not sure how to make it better!)
-new spokes(i already have gold rims and my spokes are rusty)
-new style plastic swap(not sure whats involved in making it fit, any ideas or write ups you know of?)

thats the basics so far. it has a clarke tank already, and all blinkers, so im gonna run it basic for a while. i will do the engine swap and susp. swap before i run it on the road i think. that way i get to tear into it and make sure it's at least safe enough to ride to work.

thanks and keep the info coming guys!

--keith

putting the liquid cooled 650r engine would be cool, but a bunch of work.
+1 on the fcr i haVE one on my 650L.

• cleonard

Posted September 25, 2007 - 08:39 AM

shoot, that about kills the easy ways out!

i would like it to run, and possibly take it to work on nice days w/o having it take a dump on me! i know they are fairly reliable, but wasn't sure what is similar to the XR and easier to find used.

All you need to do is fix it up a bit. You might be able to fix the problems for only $100 to $200. There is nothing wrong with the stock setup. You just need to get it back in there. This is the easy way out. At least try and get it going again before major surgery. Unless you just want to do the big project, it doesn't seem worth it to me.

ok next idea- MOTOR SWAP! are the motor mounts on this engine the same as a newer XR650R/XR650L/XR600's ? i would like to replace it if theres too much to rebuild. i'll just keep it for random parts, or fleabay it if it's in my way. this way i can get some updated and easily found parts instead.

is this an option?

any other options i should consider?

again, thanks for any info!

--keith

That is not the easy way. The frame and shock are designed around the dual intake. You can't easily use the airbox with a single carb setup. The biggest downside to the foam pod filter is tuning and water. The first time it rains or you hit a small puddle, you might be stuck.

If you want something newer, fit it up and sell it. Then start with something a little newer.

• kheff46

Posted September 25, 2007 - 09:17 AM

cleonard- i fear the worst right now. i have no clue how long it sat. how bad the carbs are, and in general how easy it's gonna be to find XL stuff.

the frame is fine and is legal for the street. thats a good start at least. good for an SM/enduro build up of sorts. the newer XR engine seems the best quality route to go. i want reliability first. im not into making it period specific with the 3 tone tank, etc. im into having a reliable bike that can be fixed cheaply at almost any small town motorcycle shop. having 20+ yr old parts scares me frankly! honda has great parts interchangeability and reliability, so im gonna get as new a replacement part i can w/o having to completely re-engineer mounts, etc for it.

plastic- who has done what to retrofit the old bikes with new plastic. i saw a 97 XR600 with 07 plastics and it looked sweet. he did mention having to redo some mounts, so i know it's part of the swap. im not afraid(i do subaru n nissan engine/drivetrain swaps for fun!) either, so lets hear options. what can be done?

suspension- im going for a set of CR250/500 forks and would like to get an idea of what MY's are best. which is closer to stock XL weight? i know the stem bearings are differen size and one needs a collar/spacer machined to adapt, but thats easy. but i don't know the exact issue, so if you got pics or links i need 'em.

shock- is there a good rebuild option? i know the frames of the XR and XL are different for the shock and linkage, etc. is there a difference in the newer versions? do any have same dimensions as my XL(doubting it but still hopeful)?

i know some of this has been covered before. im looking at older threads to find info, but not a whole lot has come up. some good bits, but not enough! im sorry if this seems old news, or im missing some huge master thread of the info, but help if you can!

--keith

• cleonard

Posted September 25, 2007 - 01:59 PM

Metal parts don't go bad. The rubber parts are a different matter. I would still take a shot at getting it to work. It's not usually that hard. Engine wise the old XL600 is about the hottest of any of the air cooled Honda 600's or 650's. With it's short stroke and dual carbs it has about 20% more power than a stock 650L motor. Still quite a bit less HP than the 650R though.

I have 2 even older Honda's and the engines are great. I have no concern about them.

As soon as you go all custom, almost no one will touch your bike. Most shops will not even work on old bikes.

I have an old 1980 CM400 street bike. Got it for $200. It had been sitting since 1984 and this was in 3/2006. Cleaned the carbs really well. Changed the oil. Cleaned the tank and gave it fresh gas. The bike fired right up. I've taken it on 600 mile road rides. Works great.

All I'm saying is spend a few hours and see if you can get it going. You might be surprised.

I think that the simple upgrade is to use the suspension from a XR600. I seem to remember that the swingarm will fit.

• kheff46

Posted September 25, 2007 - 03:04 PM

i will attempt to get it cleaned and fired up with zero outlay at first. if it runs well and has no oil leaks i will decide from there i assume. this was my first idea(i do get carried away with too many options), then the newer engine fitting came upon me.

i heard/read somewhere the frames(shock mounts) are different, as well as linkages and shock. making it utterly impossible to swap them and get a good spring rate(rising). im new to these bikes, so that may be total BS! i know not which is true. any help with verification would be sweet! hint hint.

right now im seeing super expensive parts(OEM) seat foam alone is 60-70 cover is 30-40. thats too much money for OEM 20 yr old parts! i need airbox boots, throttle barrel, maybe other carb stuff....... anyway stop rambling.

--keith

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • EarlT

Posted September 26, 2007 - 07:37 AM

What does an XR600 Weigh?
What does an XL600 Weigh?

1986 Honda XR600
frame weighs 28 pounds.
Does anyone Know
what an XL Frame Weighs?

Thank You
EarlT

• kheff46

Posted September 26, 2007 - 09:02 AM

dude, if i tear it down far enough in the next week, i will let you know exactly how much it weighs! but until then i can't help. i assume almost the same (within a pound). maybe someone has done the weighing previously for us.

--keith

• cleonard

Posted September 26, 2007 - 09:58 AM

What does an XR600 Weigh?
What does an XL600 Weigh?

1986 Honda XR600
frame weighs 28 pounds.
Does anyone Know
what an XL Frame Weighs?

Thank You
EarlT

I don't know the exact number, but the XL is a larger pig than the XR that is for sure. I don't really remember but I'd guess that the XL comes in at 325 or something like that.

• kheff46

Posted September 26, 2007 - 11:22 AM

why would the frame be much heavier? any reason to beef it up? i would say a pound or so (guesstimating) based on shock mount relocation, rear subframe variations. thats the only obvious(to me) reasons.

otherwise harness, lights, etc for street add a little here and there.

--keith

• cleonard

Posted September 26, 2007 - 11:55 AM

I was just referring to the weight of the whole bike. No idea about the frame, but like you said I can't see how it would be much different.

I did find a weight on bikez, 321.9 pounds. I was off by a few.

• kheff46

Posted September 26, 2007 - 01:45 PM

I was off by a few.

i will never trust you again now! j/k

--keith

• Nummie

Posted September 26, 2007 - 06:02 PM

This test says the XL600R weighs 315 lb with a half tank of fuel, but I think the true dry weight is closer to 300 lbs.
http://www.4strokes....da/cwxl600test/

And, b.t.w., there is a ton of XL600R stuff on eBay at the moment. Someone parted out another complete bike. This seems to be a regular thing. That's good for the guys that need the parts, but kind of makes me feel bad that another worthy bike dies.

• kheff46

Posted September 28, 2007 - 05:30 AM

yeah i saw that stuff and thought about buying most of it. i had a neighbor offer me a couple hundred dollars and i may give it up. thanks for the responses, but i feel it may be too old to really do what i want with it. i will still be around here as my friend has an 01 650R has wants to sell me!

--keith

• Nate R

Posted November 04, 2007 - 10:07 PM

I'm amazed!

Just picked up an 84 XL600. It's everything I dreamed a big dual sport would be! :worthy:

But, I'm AMAZED it makes more power than the modern 650L. Why? Why did they go to a single carb?

Mine seems to have different springs (stiffer) than stock front and rear.

Anywhere to get plastics that fit it?

• martinfan30

Posted November 05, 2007 - 11:30 AM

I'm amazed!

Just picked up an 84 XL600. It's everything I dreamed a big dual sport would be! :worthy:

But, I'm AMAZED it makes more power than the modern 650L. Why? Why did they go to a single carb?

Mine seems to have different springs (stiffer) than stock front and rear.

Anywhere to get plastics that fit it?

the 600 has a slightly more aggressive cam profile. some also say the cdi unit is more aggressive timing wise. the dual carbs weren difficult to sync.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.