dry sump kit - save 3 lbs

8 replies to this topic
  • dieseld

Posted March 18, 2002 - 08:48 AM

Has anyone got any inside info on the dry sump kit from Dr. D ?

This kit replaces most of the external oil lines, and bypasses the frame as an oil reservoir, saving 3 lbs in the process !

Looks like a good idea as long as reliability is not sacrificed.

Here's the link Dry sump kit

• Scott_in_KC

Posted March 18, 2002 - 09:06 AM

Looks cool. I know the Husaberg I had only held a quart of oil, not sure about the KTM's. But, had no problems and was more prone to change oil more often.

What's the price??

• dieseld

Posted March 18, 2002 - 09:25 AM

I called and got the scoop:

the kit is $149 - 10% for TT'ers (membership has its priviledges.)

they are already out of stock on the 400 kit, I did not check on the 426 kit.

they say that you must change your oil EVERY 1 HOUR of riding time. Now this may just be a conservative, cover our butt from the legal dept. type of recommendation. But it makes me think twice anyway. I don't even want to think about an oil change when I head to the desert for a couple days of riding where the bike may run for 10 hours. How do other hi performance thumpers deal with the dry sump system and timing on oil changes ?

even with that being said, I put my name on the call-back list to save 3 lbs, and the system is easily removable to switch back to wet sump stock.

• Guy

Posted March 18, 2002 - 09:31 AM

:D 1 HOUR of ride time :) No good for me, The last two rides alone have been 10 hrs and 8 hrs, thats my warranty Bug**rd! :D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dirtdad

Posted March 18, 2002 - 10:22 PM

stock system is dry sump. the DR.D kit is to convert to wet sump similar to the factory race bikes.

• dieseld

Posted March 18, 2002 - 10:35 PM

you're right, I got it backwards

• Scott_in_KC

Posted March 18, 2002 - 10:39 PM

EVERY HOUR...gimme a physical freaking break!!! So during a 2 hour enduro, I should stop to change oil. Pretty funny. I would say that's the CYA answer.

I'd have to go back and try to find some info on my Husaberg, but I want to say it was every 10 hours. Which is fine for regular riding. Maybe after a full-on hour at race speeds...but then I'm gonna change it anyway.

I don't think there's any worry about it. But, I have to say it was refreshing to see all that oil come out of my first WR oil change. Seemed like a cup or so dripped out of the 'berg by oil change time. :)

• rparks

Posted March 18, 2002 - 11:03 AM

If you really think that there is no effect to reliability, why isn't Yamaha doing it in the first place??? I figure the more oil, the better!

• Herkypilot

Posted March 18, 2002 - 12:34 PM

Unless your the hard core MX racer type...this certainly doesn't sound worth the trouble for 3 lbs! If you are going on 8-10 hour rides - man your motor needs the lubrication and heat transfer that all that oil provides. I would't touch a thing!

P.S. Man I'm glad this site is back up...I was suffering from withdrawals! :) :D

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.