XR600 Going from a 160 to a 165 Main

8 replies to this topic
  • FZ1426

Posted September 23, 2007 - 07:30 PM

To my surprise, after my first trip to the high desert with a 160 main and an 8 disc supertrapp setup, the bike felt a little weak and the plug reveals a lean condition after some (a lot of) high speed full throttle operation.

It ran so good at sea level on the street that I thought the approx 3000 ft altitude would have me slightly rich with a 160. Apparenly not.

Can anyone confirm operation with a 165 (or larger) main on a (96) 600R?

Been through this before with 600's in the past but it was a while back and I can't remember what my set up was.

• beezerjoe

Posted September 23, 2007 - 08:50 PM

For what it's worth my '89 has has a 160mj and I took the advice of another member and installed a 68s pilot jet and I had to readjust the idle mixture screw alittle. I took it for it's first dirt ride today and it seems like it run great. I did read of another guy running the bigger jets and I think he was using a 168 and went to a 170 and started having problems at that point.

• Denn10

Posted September 24, 2007 - 06:24 AM

my 03 650L has a 162 but i think i need to put a 160 in it and im in the high desert so im not sure about 600 jetting but id go with what your plug says since thats about all we can go with to check out jetting. hope it helps out.

• martinfan30

Posted September 24, 2007 - 11:02 AM

just remember with the modern fuels, the plug reading could be false.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Denn10

Posted September 24, 2007 - 11:41 AM

just remember with the modern fuels, the plug reading could be false.

i hear that alot but isnt that more for the race fuels and not pump gas? How else us garage mechanics gonna know if the jettings a tad rich/lean without reading a plug?

• martinfan30

Posted September 24, 2007 - 11:48 AM

i hear that alot but isnt that more for the race fuels and not pump gas? How else us garage mechanics gonna know if the jettings a tad rich/lean without reading a plug?

the lack of lead and some of the additives cause this. i do it by watching the oil temp and how it runs. this is all pretty much out of sisneros mouth. hawkgt posted a very interesting article on this too.

• Denn10

Posted September 24, 2007 - 12:42 PM

sisneros was telling this guy that a 150 main was perfect for him too and ive NEVER seen a guy on here that said they were running a 150 main on a L and that it was perfect, and the guy was asking about 3500 elevation jetting im not too sure how much he deals with Ls in regards to jetting but thats where ive read alot about fuel and plug reading.

• martinfan30

Posted September 24, 2007 - 01:25 PM

sisneros was telling this guy that a 150 main was perfect for him too and ive NEVER seen a guy on here that said they were running a 150 main on a L and that it was perfect, and the guy was asking about 3500 elevation jetting im not too sure how much he deals with Ls in regards to jetting but thats where ive read alot about fuel and plug reading.

thats lean. i run 158/52 at 4300 ft. in my fcr.

lets hear from hawk, mr GT you got your ears on?

• Denn10

Posted September 24, 2007 - 09:11 PM

thats lean. i run 158/52 at 4300 ft. in my fcr.

lets hear from hawk, mr GT you got your ears on?

yeah i know!! i think he was refering to his shop in CO at 6000 ft but the guy was asking about a 150 @3500 feet so i know its off NOONE is running a 150@ 3500 feet.

FZ this helping you out any brother???? I think you should go 162 next and try it out ill bet your ok

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.