Overheating help!

9 replies to this topic
  • eurobound

Posted September 23, 2007 - 11:38 AM

bike overheats in idle after about 1 minute... but water in reserve just boils... doesnt expand and fill the reseroir like it should...

there is one kink in the hose (bent radiator) and it looks like I hit the waterpump cover again through my skid plate but no visible signs of damage from the outside like there was last time - I will take out waterpump anyways to inspect but any ideas? Do you think thats it?

On the last ride I had it started in the middle of it and bike was fine as long as we kept moving... soon as we stopped it overheated...

thanks for the help...

Daniel

• xrmarty

Posted September 23, 2007 - 10:37 PM

if you think there is any possibility that you damaged the water pump then you should definitely check into it. It shouldn't overheat after a minute. What kind of coolant are you using? I'm using Engine Ice and haven't had any problems since. I heard the Water Wetter is pretty good too.

• face_plant

Posted September 24, 2007 - 12:00 PM

+1 my water pump went out and all i noticed was it was running at 215 degreese and a drop of wetnedd on my bashplate

+1 engine ice i average 118-185 depending on how hot it is

• SJMC_DON

Posted September 24, 2007 - 03:20 PM

Your jetting might be set up too lean and if you are only seeing boiling going on in your overflow then your radiators are probably dry or your not pumping water.

Get the water pump check done now:prof:

• ccoates445

Posted September 25, 2007 - 02:24 PM

Fill the radiators once the engine cools and pressure test to make sure system holds. Test radiator cap while your at it. Check water pump and you should find the problem in one of those systems tests. Ditto on the engine ice. :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Beejay

Posted September 25, 2007 - 05:50 PM

If it's not the waterpump check your jetting out, might be running lean which is not a good thing either.

• xrmarty

Posted September 26, 2007 - 10:05 PM

If it's not the waterpump check your jetting out, might be running lean which is not a good thing either.

while jetting can difinitely cause the engine to run hot, imo this seems more like a problem with the cooling system, ie inadequate coolant level, pressure loss, water pump failure, ect...

• eurobound

Posted September 27, 2007 - 05:53 AM

the coolant itself was fine... ran it hard for 600km after last water pump cover break in 35Celsius weather so that isnt it...

then I changed the main before my last ride because outside temp dropped to around 10Celcius and it ran okay after adjusting fuel screw... until the end of the ride when it started to overheat a lot...i think I hit something and cracked outer pump cover and then it all went downhill from there...

I figure it has to be the pump... I will check the pressure on the cap as well but I just think there is no flow so its a pump...

thanks for the advice guys... only way to find out will be to dig in this weekend... waiting for parts in Slovenia is the crappy part though... will take another 2 weeks to get it...

later!
Daniel

• xrmarty

Posted September 27, 2007 - 05:50 PM

waiting for parts in Slovenia is the crappy part though... will take another 2 weeks to get it...

later!
Daniel

You need to by a JAWA as your spare bike:ride:

• eurobound

Posted October 17, 2007 - 12:40 AM

so after being too scared to open it up myself I had a friend help me pull out the carb (main was a bit loose?):crazy: changed the pilot, we drained the oil and put new filter and correct level of oil (mine was a "tad" too high on the last ride:bonk: ) and considered air pockets in cooling system but there was coolant in all the hoses/etc by letting it drip a bit so ruled that out and then fired her up... little adjustment of the kauba fuel screw and she ran nice....

so in the end it was a combination of things but looking at the oil that drained out and the spark plug there was no indications of damage to engine:applause:

thanks for all the help/suggestions...

later!
daniel

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.