XR invisible to radar?

48 replies to this topic
  • Bibleman

Posted September 23, 2007 - 10:06 AM

I was talking to a friend who insists bikes like the XR don't have enough metal to be accurately tracked by radar. Anyone get caught on their XR in this way?

• martinfan30

Posted September 23, 2007 - 10:24 AM

I was talking to a friend who insists bikes like the XR don't have enough metal to be accurately tracked by radar. Anyone get caught on their XR in this way?

no, but ive should have been!!

• hondacrf150f1

Posted September 23, 2007 - 11:01 AM

I know my XR doesnt work at stoplights, if im the only guy there i will have to go on red, because it will never change.

• GlobalWarmer

Posted September 23, 2007 - 11:35 AM

They use radar for baseballs. Your friend is dreaming.

• truck6driver

Posted September 23, 2007 - 11:48 AM

Radar will pick up the largest object in it's path. If you are near a car it will clock the car and not the bike. If you are alone on the road yes it will clock you.

RH

• martinfan30

Posted September 23, 2007 - 12:23 PM

i will use this trick on the hiway. if i know im going fast i will hide in the blind spot created by the vehicle near me to hide from radar or laser whatever they use.

• AtomicGeo

Posted September 23, 2007 - 07:17 PM

They use radar for baseballs. Your friend is dreaming.

+1

That friend is talking BS!

• weskc35k

Posted September 24, 2007 - 01:42 AM

You can be booked on an XR600 i know that much.

• Bibleman

Posted September 24, 2007 - 03:51 AM

OK, well what started this is that I got pulled over for doing 70 when I know I was doing an indicated 65 which is probably more like 62. My friend said he probably guessed by doing a visual because the bike couldn't be picked up. Made sense to me because I know I wasn't doing 70.:thumbsup:

• Motosprtman

Posted September 24, 2007 - 05:20 AM

I know my XR doesnt work at stoplights, if im the only guy there i will have to go on red, because it will never change.

Me too!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Motosprtman

Posted September 24, 2007 - 05:22 AM

Hmmmmmmm stealth technology in an XR650L? I don't think so...

• thouk

Posted September 24, 2007 - 05:25 AM

Bibleman,
What did you use to guarantee that you doing 62. If you have not calibrated your speedo with something else like a gps you might have been doing 70. I hope you come out of this fine. Tony

• heavyhitter

Posted September 24, 2007 - 07:07 AM

I get clocked ny those "watch your speed" signs that post your speed all the time

• martinfan30

Posted September 24, 2007 - 07:45 AM

ya those pick up your speed. no other cars in sight and it will show your speed on the pig.

• ajones

Posted September 24, 2007 - 08:04 AM

Me too!

Ditto that:ride:

• crfbikerboy

Posted September 24, 2007 - 08:09 AM

An all metal frame isn't enough metal....ha ha ha ha ...Thats a good one.. Some peaple will believe anything....without even thinking about it.....What a wolrd we live in. scary actually.

• martinfan30

Posted September 24, 2007 - 08:11 AM

An all metal frame isn't enough metal....ha ha ha ha ...Thats a good one.. Some peaple will believe anything....without even thinking about it.....What a wolrd we live in. scary actually.

that frame has enough metal to build another titanic!LOL!

• squatpuke

Posted September 24, 2007 - 08:18 AM

Same here...

Just curious....if you get caught doing this, think you could get outta the ticket?

What else you gunna do?

• cleonard

Posted September 24, 2007 - 08:37 AM

In order to scatter (reflect) radio waves an oblect needs to be at least 1/2 of a wavelength. Most police radar are pretty short wavelength. The older X band units wavelength is about 1.5 inches. The newer Ku, K, and Ka bands are all under an inch. Since your bike is a lot larger than an inch, yes it does reflect radar very well. In fact all the angles make it a pretty darn good reflector.

What can make you invisible is that you are still small compared to other vehicles. If you are all alone on the road then they can get you for sure. Normally there is a lot of other traffic. A semi might have 50x the reflection of a bike so in that sense you can be invisible.

• martinfan30

Posted September 24, 2007 - 08:48 AM

squatpuke, i would say its pretty easy to argue your case that you cant set off the light.

cl, just like you said , hide in the shadow of a big truck!

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.