Sleeving a bearing in the front hub...

7 replies to this topic
  • MOmilkman

Posted March 18, 2002 - 08:27 AM

Has anyone ever put a thin metal sleeve on a bearing to take the play out of it?

When I got my 99 new, I remember the first time I replaced the bearings in the front hub the left side took little or no effort to knock the bearing out. The next time I replaced them it took even less effort. (it almost fell out on its own) I can turn the inner race of the bearing with my finger and see the outer race turning slowly in the hub. So I know for a fact it is a problem with the hub and not the bearing.

So my front hub is pretty much shot and I am looking at $170 to replace it with a stock hub which I dont want to do. Is there anything I can do to make a sleeve for the bearing? It would have to be a wafer thin piece of metal.

Seems like to me this was a fatory defect. But I imagine it has too many miles on it to even consider warrating the hub.

Do you guys have any suggestions on what I could do?

• Jon_Escombe

Posted March 18, 2002 - 10:55 PM

Had a similar problem with a very old mx bike, would always get grief at scrutineering as they thought the bearing had play..

Wrapping aluminium tape around the bearing worked fine as a bodge. The proper solution would be to look up a bearing with the same ID and a slightly larger OD, then get the hub machined to suit..

• lewichris

Posted March 18, 2002 - 12:04 PM

anyone ever tried a little locktite

• wrsm

Posted March 18, 2002 - 12:21 PM

I have used Araldite two part epoxy in the past. Works really well. Refit the axle to the hub to make sure alignment is OK.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Guy

Posted March 18, 2002 - 12:24 PM

Originally posted by wrsm:
I have used Araldite two part epoxy in the past. Works really well. Refit the axle to the hub to make sure alignment is OK.

Kev, you bodger you

:) I'm shocked LOL! :D

• MOmilkman

Posted March 19, 2002 - 03:48 AM

Thanks guys for the ideas! :D

I espically like the idea of machining the hub out and going one size bigger on the O.D.

Yamaha, just try to get my money!!!! :) :D :D

• wrsm

Posted March 19, 2002 - 11:28 AM

I would just like to point out to the group (especially Guy :D ) and any other UK riders (especially any future buyer) that my current bike does not have a bearing fixed in place by araldite. :)
Anyway, even if it did, it would be a good fix to the problem!!

"Honest" Kev

• Guy

Posted March 19, 2002 - 01:27 PM

:) Hmmmnnn.....Never raced or rallied sir...one careful owner...well it must have had one careful owner at some point! LOL :D :D

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.