05 WR450 Seat height

10 replies to this topic
  • evil_92627

Posted September 22, 2007 - 10:33 PM

Will adjusting the shock adjuster on a 05 WR450 have any impact on the height of the seat? i am trying to lower the seat by about an inch or so...any suggestions?

• tweav

Posted September 23, 2007 - 12:00 AM

yes it will but , if you weigh more then like 180 or so the bike will bottom out very ez . I lowered mine I bought a lowering rear link ,from these guys :

http://www.mountainm...lower-link.aspx

it was a bit pricey but it works great

• evil_92627

Posted September 24, 2007 - 06:25 AM

thanks!

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted September 24, 2007 - 09:21 AM

Will adjusting the shock adjuster on a 05 WR450 have any impact on the height of the seat? i am trying to lower the seat by about an inch or so...any suggestions?

Don't use the shock to lower the seat. You'll throw the suspension way out and the bike wont feel good.

If its only an inch, then shave the seat. I had mine lowered professionally 1.5 inches. It made all the difference in the world.

• Mutu

Posted September 24, 2007 - 09:35 AM

If its only an inch, then shave the seat. I had mine lowered professionally 1.5 inches. It made all the difference in the world.

Agreed.

Lowering links are dangerous.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • PROWLER 58

Posted October 01, 2007 - 11:09 AM

Agreed.

Lowering links are dangerous.

Why ? I was was going to install the lowering link from Mountain Motors over the winter, others say they love the results and their bikes handle better. bob

• tweav

Posted October 01, 2007 - 01:14 PM

why is a lowering link dangerous ? I it feels more stable at high speed ,then it did
before . plus this link is built better then stock.what is unsafe about it? the swingarm does not bind or hit thru it's new range of motion . put my forks down about a 1/2 inch too . :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: I have no clue where your coming from with the unsafe thing . heck what is more unsafe not be able to touch the ground ,and crashing or having a bike setup to fit you and being in control of it?

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted October 01, 2007 - 07:01 PM

I wouldn't say that lowering links are "unsafe". I would say that dialing in the suspension would be quite a bit different. You would not get the same results.

If you are just a playrider, then it probably doesn't matter (but why would you have a wr450). However, I like to ride long and hard, usually till I can't ride anymore. I like to go over tough terrain and to challenge myself. Deep whoops, sand, rocks and soft hill climbs are the best stuff to ride in. I want to feel that I got my ass kicked at the end.

I am getting better and demand more and more out of my bike. Therefore, my suspension must be spot on. I think its even more important than the pipe you may have. I had mine professionally lowered and I don't bottom out and the bike isn't bouncing all over the place. But I'm about 215lbs (and growing!)

Get the link if you must, but be prepared to outgrow it.

• PROWLER 58

Posted October 01, 2007 - 07:26 PM

have you tryed the link Maurice ?

• tweav

Posted October 02, 2007 - 09:21 AM

how do you lower a bike without changing the suspension geometry ? answer you don't ..... no matter how you lower a bike it's not the same as it was ....
but my bike handles better now with the lowering link in and at high speeds I get less head shake . the truth be known I don't ramp a bike like I used to. I've change the springs you my weight and I do bottom out on bigger jumps 10 ft + I
weight 210 . this is a woods bike not a motocross . so I need it setup to eat up
roots and rock and smaller jumps . I'm sure it bottomed out on a 10 footer stock too.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted October 02, 2007 - 12:29 PM

have you tryed the link Maurice ?

No, I haven't tried it. but I am 5-9, 31 inch inseam, 215lbs (give or take a cheeseburger). I do race and ride technical stuff. I need to be able to get a foot down. I made a mistake of riding a ktm which has a lower seat height but higher ground clearance (go figure!)

Given how I ride/race and where I ride/race, I chose to have a suspension shop lower the bike. It was money well spent as far as I am concerned. But I had my forks done also and did not have to slide them up in the tripple clamps.

The bike is now less top heavy and I am a lot more comfortable turning because of it. 1 1/2 inches means a lot. I do notice that I am banging off of the rocks more. I don't think the 1 1/2 inches is the difference. I think I am attacking the rocky sections more agressively.

No matter how you do it, lower the bike. If you aren't racing, try the link and then slide the forks up the triple clamps. Its cheap and fast. After a while, you should have no problem selling the link and then getting your suspension professionally lowered.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.